• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DXM31

DXM31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

The family and I are returning to the island in June, and while I was there I thought I would get some minor dental work done.
I have searched and didn't find anything on this forum but did find a Dr. Alejandra Novoa on another forum that people seemed to like.
I wanted to get this board opinion, good, bad, or indifferent.
We have several friends that go to Mexico to go to the Dentist and they have always had good experiences and its quit a bit cheaper than here in the states. So I though why not since I am going to be there anyway...
Thanks

#2 jic811

jic811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

She is GREAT! You will be pleased and speaks perfect english and explains everything.

#3 DXM31

DXM31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Thanks that's good to know, I think the wife has decided to pay her a visit as well.
The only thing that was kind of confusing was Dr. Novoa wanted three weeks notice when we would be there.
No big deal though.

#4 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

dr aurelio is also very well known and respected for his fantastic dental work. he is from generations of dentists and orthodontic surgeons. i am sure he could take you on quicker, but you have 2 of the best dentists here and both charge very fairly. aurelio can be reached at 987 107 8720.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

Aurelio Arteto is no longer on my recommended list. He skipped out on a friend of mine in the very middle of treating a severe dental infection problem. Just disappeared and still hasn't been heard from by my friend. Friend was in great pain with severe swelling and the dentist ditched on him without as much as a by your leave. Just wasn't at the office for the next appointment even 2 hours later. Days later and still couldn't be reached by phone.

Perhaps he has some serious personal problem. But even if this is the case, he should have had the common courtesy to let a patient in serious need of help know the score.

My friend had to desperately hunt around for someone else and finally found a good one at the San Miguel clinic.

#6 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

Is Dr. Aurelio Arteto's office close ( within a block or so ) of what was once Riley's Pub?

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

No. On Calle 11 around 40 or 45 -- across from the big sports complex on the 11.

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

Dentists? It all depends upon what you need done and your time frame for having the work completed. I had long had my dental work done in Cozumel by Aurelio Arteta, beside the cost difference, I felt I received superior treatment than what I had received in the U.S. and my one Canadian dental adventure.

This Spring I had a very bad abscessed tooth. Besides the extreme pain, it was a serious infection. I felt relieved that I was in Cozumel with options of dentists. I saw Dr Arteta the next morning, a Saturday, he prescribed a strong antibiotic to bring the infection under control before scheduling treatment in 48 hours, the following Monday morning.

He never showed up on Monday. I sat outside his office for two hours hearing his office phone ringing off the hook before I had to return home and try to take an overdose of pain medication. BTW Tramadol is worthless as a pain reliever and is about the only thing available besides assorted over the counter meds. I left messages on Arteta's office answering machine, I left messages on his cell phone until his mail box became full. I was now desperate and people tried their best to track him down and see if he had left the island in an emergency, but he was completely missing in action.

The next day, Tuesday, the antibiotic was still not providing even minimal relief, swollen jaw, extreme pain and still no contact via phone or email with Arteta. In desperation I contacted Alejandra Novoa, a distant second choice for oral surgeons on the island. I called Dra Novoa and explained the problem the best I could manage speaking given my condition. I stated it as plainly as I could it both English and in Spanish, adding that I was on the fourth day of antibiotics and that Dr Arteta had been disappeared now for 48 hours. She told me I could return to her office and she would phone her "muchacha" (dental assistant) and tell her to lance the abscess and drain it and that would relieve the pressure and pain and she would then treat me on Friday. I asked how she was going to do this with regard to an infection in the bone (I wondered if it would involve dental or carpentry tools and how they might manage the resulting blood loss). Granted this was a diagnosis made over the phone and had I returned to the office and had the girl properly relay the urgency of my situation, perhaps Dra Novoa might have offered a different plan. Having my doubts about her in the first place, it undermined any sense of possible confidence.

In desperation, I remembered a new dentist that was at Clinica San Miguel that had been recommended. I don't have his name at the moment. His specialty is orthodontics, he does crowns and assorted partials and other appliances. He agreed to see me immediately. I told him I wanted the tooth extracted immediately. He cautioned that this was not his specialty, he had done work like this previously, but normally this would be done by an oral surgeon. Since I knew the medical/dental community even better than he did and I had already contacted both of the oral surgeons and been placed in an impossible situation, what options did I have?

I was very satisfied with his services, his competence with regard to everything. He was the first dentist I had used in Mexico that worked with a dental assistant which can be a big plus having an extra pair of hands. I had him crown another tooth and have plans to have additional work in the Fall.

After having used Aurelio Arteta for years, recommended dozens of clients to him, I considered him as much as a friend as my dentist. I never did hear anything from him by way of a phone call nor an email and I am sure he should have been very embarrassed having placed me in this position. Twice I had gotten out of the dental chair and given my appointment to a walk in emergency patient, both of whom needed immediate attention, but both were in far less serious condition than I was at that time. None of our mutual friends and acquaintances had any explanation for his disappearance and failure to contact me during or after the crisis and indeed it was a crisis situation. I am confident given the condition he saw me in on the Saturday, he knew that I must have obtained other services or died during the following week.

I know plan to continue using the dentist at Clinica San Miguel. They did say they had treated North American clients who spoke no Spanish, but all my appointments and conversations were 100% in Spanish

#9 DXM31

DXM31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Wow, what an ordeal, glad you got it fixed.

What I need is nothing major for sure.

I have a friend he and his wife travel to Mexico quit a bit, her family lives there, anyway, he says he just looks for a place that looks
clean and just walks in, no appointment??
But things are probably different on the island.

On side note:My friend and his family are making their first trip to Cozumel with us in June. It will be nice having someone that can speak Spanish.

On another side note:Dra Novoa, other than my initial inquiry, has not responded to my emails??

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:38 AM

I have a GREAT Dentist (going to her for about 5 years). The office is new, and modern, and they even have the little TV screens to distract you (just like home).

I set up appointment via email, and she always responds.

Dra.Yazmin Ibrahim-Mohamed Alfie.
MEDIDENTAL
Odontologia Integral
11 Av. con 65 AV.
Cozumel, Quintana Roo. Mex.
Tel: (987)8720808 ext. 107
yazmin_ibrahim@hotmail.com

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 DXM31

DXM31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

I may email her as well if Dra Novoa doesn't respond soon.
I like the TV idea, my sons Orthodontist has a wall full of flat screens where you can watch cartoons or ESPN or CNN.
Business must be good.

And now for something completely different.

How about optometrist recommendations?

I know dental is cheaper in Mexico, but I don't know if the eye doctor is as well.

#12 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

Dr Nora is at the same address as above really great, kind and very profesional

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

Please start a new thread and ask about optomotrists. Otherwise a lot of people will miss the information.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

Guitarist, Nora is great as well...I found her email address norash2004@yahoo.com

As for an Optometrist, that I don't know.

If it is an eye exam and glasses you are looking for, I would recommend the following.

You would want to first find out what the costs are in the states, then compare them to here. With the big eye glass centers in the states you can get two pair of glasses for what one pair costs here.

I did have a free eye exam, and my new progressive lenses for my existing pair of frames I had was about $110 usd's.

What he did have was so "TO DIE FOR" Italian frames, at a GREAT price. I couldn't justify it because I had spent way to much on the frames I purchased in the states a few years earlier.

Optica DaVinci
65 #264 entre 12Y14nte
Cell-987-105-2701

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 DXM31

DXM31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the info about glasses, I can get exam and glasses for $79 here.
I was just curious about that.
And
Carey, true a new thread would have been more helpful for others, next time.

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

MEDIDENTAL
Odontologia Integral
11 Av. con 65 AV.

I like Yazmin also. Very sweet young lady and I like that she always tries the non invasive approaches first to see if they'll work before moving to something more drastic.

#17 DXM31

DXM31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

The wife and I both went to Dra. Yazmin this morning, we were both very pleased with what we had done.
Super nice lady and she did a real good job, thanks again for the recommendations.

#18 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

my other half had some pain in his molar and we have always used aurelio without any problems. i called him and got an appt to see him within an hour. alex went, got his molar pulled, charged fairly like always (even though alex bit him during the process!), and aurelio even called me this morning to check to see how he was doing since he was to leave on a trip today.... just to make sure all was ok before he left, and assured me he'd have his cell phone for whatever problem that came up.

sorry for charles' incident with aurelio, but i still have all the confidence in his work. i even called him up one night after slicing my finger open so HE would stitch it up. less of a scar than with anyone else.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#19 Barkley

Barkley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

Have you heard of anyone have denture work done and if they were satisfied?

I have a GREAT Dentist (going to her for about 5 years). The office is new, and modern, and they even have the little TV screens to distract you (just like home).

I set up appointment via email, and she always responds.

MEDIDENTAL
Odontologia Integral
11 Av. con 65 AV.

#20 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

I went to
MEDIDENTAL
Odontologia Integral
11 Av. con 65 AV.
after making several enquires to her via email about my partial denture that had a corner all broken off
My appointment was for 10am and when I got there I was taken right away she looked at the denture explained
what she was going to do, went and made up the paste to get the mold took mold,told me to come back in 3 hrs
I did she had mended the corner and also put in a little wire hook to go round the existing tooth made minor
adjustment to it and since I have never used any fixadent to keep it up whereas before I was using a tube a
day lol cost $60
Very satisfied would go back without any hesitation
PS The little tv above your head is good when your trying to learn the lingo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users