• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 minnesota nice

minnesota nice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

We will be in Cozumel the first week of April and for the first time I will be renting a Villa with a grill to do a few meals on. Can anyone give me advice on where I can shop for the freshest seafood, vegetables, fruit and meats on the island. Thanks for the help everyone.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:00 AM

Beef, Chicken and Pork the Mega.  Beef is always tough.  Better for stews or very rare cooking on 1/4" arranchera cuts.  Paula and others are experts on if there is any tender beef to be had on the island.  

Pork is a deal here and very lean.  Chicken comes all kinds of ways including pounded very thin and bonesless as milenesa.

Fish is better at the Mega but freshest at one of the stands in El Mercado on Salas between 20 and 25.  And there is a fisherman's coop on Avenida 5 Sur between 7 and 9 -- 1/2 block before the cemetery on the right side of the avenida.

Freshest fish go to Puerto Abrigo around 1 PM and be prepared if necessary to wait around for the charter fishing boats coming back as they will fillet and sell extra fish when they have it which is often.  

There are also sometimes guys with coolers of fresh fish just south of the passenger ferry pier.  Always mid to late morning after the boats have come back in.

Both the Mega and the Chedraui has an excellent selection of produce and they can have different things and of differing quality on a given day.  Wednesday early is the day to shop both these big stores, two blocks from each other, for good stuff.

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Isn't the fisherman's coop on Av. 5?

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

You are right, Kandy.  Avenida 5 right before the cemetery on the right is the fisherman's coop.  Thanks for catching my error.

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

The fishermen's co-op is at the south end of 5a Av, but I think Carey's advice is correct in terms of where one is actually likely to find fresh fish. I haven't really had very good luck at the co-op.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

Original post corrected.  Thanks, Guys.  I guess I hadn't had enough tea yet.

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Why do the bananas always look so crummy and go bad so fast?

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Bananas I always buy at the Mercado or one of the other family fruit stands. Chedraui/Mega bananas get baked sitting in the trailers parked in the hot sun, first waiting for the ferry and then in the parking lot waiting to be unloaded. To slow down ripening, separate the bunches into singles. If going too fast, you can always "crack the peel" which will help to stabilize it overnight. It pays to be very selective in choosing fruit and I seldom buy more than two days worth at a time. I never buy green bananas, it seems they never ripen as I wish. To speed up ripening for many things, over night in a paper bag will often do the trick.

Family owned businesses choose their produce carefully, if they can't sell it, they eat it on their table or eat it in their profits if it goes in the trash.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

I may be the only person who does NOT shop at the El Mercado.  I do buy galvanized bucket there if I need one.

Lets talk beef;

I buy most of my beef at Mega.  T-bones are good, but only if you marinate them.  I just bought two today.  2 to 3 days before I grill them, I put them in a plastic bag with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a clove of garlic and refrigerate.

The filet mignon (which I also bought today)  is also very tender, but I apply the same marinate to them as well.  

I buy arranchera already marinated in the package.  I use it as a replacement meat for pot roast.  I do it up in a roaster with potatoes, and carrots.  Go easy on the seasoning, because it already has seasoning on it.

Ground sirloin is pretty much always available at Mega as well.

Chicken, Pork, Sausage, Seafood, and Veggies;

I like to make Buffalo Chicken wings, and sometimes I have to hunt for them at Chedrui's or at the store next to SAM's.

I like the chicken breast better at Chedrui's.  It seems fresher to me.

​If you like sausage, try the Argentine Chorizo (available in the cold cut counter).  It is similar to polish sausage.  I saute up peppers and onions with Maggi sauce in a little butter in a skillet while the sausages are grilling.  Serve it on delicious rolls from the bakery.

I don't buy seafood (allergic to it), but I can buy fish.  I buy the Asian Sea Bass filets, which is very light and moist.  Sometimes I do it up with butter, capers, and garlic, and sometimes I make a coconut crust, which is to die for.  If you want to know how I do it, just ask.  It took me a while to get it just like Perlita's!

As Carey has said, pork is very good here.  Mega has been cutting some nice thick chops, which do not have to be marinated.  I will buy a pork roast, and slice it into boneless pork chops most of the time.

Speaking of SAM's.

It's hit or miss there.  They do have good pork, St. Louie Ribs (without the sauce), half hams are also good.  

To buy fresh bananas (which I bought today as well) I buy them with some green on them.  

One of the favorite place to buy fresh veggies is Maharaja which has two locations.  15th ave, and 65 ave near 11.  I think the store on 65 is much better.

They have the BEST carrots ever!  Also, if you want any kind of beans, they have them there.  They are dried, so you need to soak them.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 minnesota nice

minnesota nice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Great recommendations so far, thank you! How about lobster and shrimp? I cant wait to throw some on the grill and watch the sunset!

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:38 AM

shrimp is not harvested around the island it comes from Campeche or Vera Cruz and is all frozen.  Lobsters are mostly harvested down the mainland coast I believe but someone else surely can pinpoint that information.  Suffice it to say that, unlike a lot of parts of, for example, Florida and NC, shrimp and lobster fresh and relative cheap here during any particular season.  The shrimp and lobster you buy at any market on the island is going to have been frozen at on time or another.

#12 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:travel,reading, legal thrillers, mysteries,research walking,meeting people, learning new things, animals working with rescue groups, cooking, decorating

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hello Coz 2 Wonder

Would love receipe for your Asian Sea Bass , question does the Asian Sea Bass have bones? trying to find mild fish without bones ,being from the Northeast ,we  are accustom to cold water fish very different here

#13 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

I was at Europa looking for wine and found a freezer full of meat for sale. The meat is labeled as black Angus prime. They had some nice looking rib eye steaks. Good marbeling but I don't really believe they are prime cuts. Maybe a good choice cut. Price was around $300 pesos per kilo. I will give them a try later this week.

#14 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Coz2wonder - will you adopt me so I can eat most of my meals at your house?  :) :D  :D  :D  :D

#15 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

We buy at most supermarkets on the island....I will tell you that after a few packages of bad beef and chicken we now have whoever at the markets open the package for a smell test and re wrap.  We got home with about 20$ worth of thin chicken that looked great in the package, date was not past, then we got home and opened it up and it smelled like some one had died in our kitchen....NEVER again!

Smell before you buy imo.  MIght sound crazy but try taking a rotten package of meat back to the store there and see the looks you get.

Mike

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Guess it's been my lucky day to have not gotten rotten chicken.  That has GOT TO BE THE WORST SMELL!

Asian sea bass has no bones.  Most people think it's Tilapia, and sometimes that is what is served.  You will always find it at the fish counters in a plastic sleeve.  I buy 3 pieces of fish to serve (stuff) 2 people.

I buy only DRY coconut.  Here you will find it in bins.  Buy about a half of a small bag.  Using the processed coconut really won't work unless you dry it out in the oven.  

Using a cuisinart, grind up the coconut until it's about half the original size.  Don't turn it to dust!

I wash, and pat down the fish so that it is dry.

You will need a bowl for the egg wash, and a plate that has the ground coconut.

Dip the fish in the egg wash (I don't cut it with milk), then drag, and pat the coconut on both sides of the fish.

I use just plain old 123 cooking oil, in a skillet to fry up the fish.

I make KFC Coleslaw with it.  I am now using plain yogurt and a little lemon juice in place of buttermilk.

The bass is also excellent served with butter, capers, and some garlic.  You can do it in a pan, or you can wrap it in banana leaves or tin foil and cook in the oven, or grill it.

I have an outstanding recipe for Salmon on the grill, which I really like.  It requires making a basting sauce which has brown sugar and ginger,  If interested I will find it.  It's a Bobby Flay creation, and I just added a little more of this and that to get it to how I like it.

One spice that I use quite often on beef, chicken, and fish (not on the coconut fish) is Tajin Classico.  You will see people eat it on fruit here, and around the rim of a glass like for a Bloody Mary.  I sprinkle it on, then cook.  It gives a nice background note to the food.  I think I am watching to many cooking show "background note"...that made me lol.

Let me know when you're hungry.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#17 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

I am hungry now!

#18 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:travel,reading, legal thrillers, mysteries,research walking,meeting people, learning new things, animals working with rescue groups, cooking, decorating

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Coz2 wonder, Awesome Asian Sea Bass  had it last nite with coconut, so simple, but so....good,please forward your salmon  recipe irony of this is that my son is a chef who has traveled from Italy-Manhattan, but somehow neglects to give his Mom great recipes. I really believe he wants to keep them a secret :(

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

This is the recipe I use for making the grilled Salmon with the OUTRAGEOUSLY glaze.

I doubled the ginger, and a little more brown sugar to the mix.  Taste it as you go, and  your taste buds will determine the right mix.  Only use fresh ginger (available at any grocery store on the island), also only use Dijon mustard, no substitutes.  The glaze would work well on ham, chicken, and if you like glazed pork chops.

http://www.foodnetwo...aze-recipe.html

This is really a knockout main course.

Anonymous

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Maybe Carey can add a "What's Cook'n" folder.

I make Onion soup often, and it is REALLLLLLY easy.

What you need:

Crock Pot

6 to 8 large white onions

Maggi Jugo sauce

2 CAN's (not box) Campbell's Caldo de Res

Butter

Makes 6 servings.

In a large skillet (I use a wok pan) melt a tablespoon of butter

Add about 1/4 cup of the Maggi Jugo sauce (you can add more if you like)

Once melted and stirred

Add sliced onions.

Let them statue in the plan until they are broken down, and soft, but not caramelized.

In crock pot add two cans of Caldo de Res, and two cans of water.

Place cooked onions into the crock pot, and cook on high for about 1 hours, then low for another 3 to 6 hours.

The longer, and lower the temperature the more flavor and darker the broth you will get.

What I do is follow the cooking directions above, then shut it off for the night, then turn it on low in the morning and let it go for another couple of hours.  I have a "warm" selection on my crock pot and set it to that about 2 pm for serving at 6 pm.

I don't have a broiler, so I put the cheese in the bottom of the bowl and pour the hot soup on top.  

Anonymous

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: seafood, meat, shopping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users