• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hubby & I picked up our Permanent Resident cards today at immigration.  I want to thank everyone here who helped make this happen so quickly; especially our lawyer Gretchen Martin who was amazing.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

Yay! Plan Local and Museum/Parks cards next?

#3 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

Yes and open a bank account but we are told we need a rental contract + utility bill which we don't have.  They are in the owner's name so we are getting it from the Property Manager.  A friend also said we should wait until we have our own permanent house before apply for the bank account.  Hmmm.  We want this now as we want to do a wire transfer of money here so we have it to live on plus buy a car.

We hear the the Plan Local card is for just one year....so hubby wants to wait until we plan on using it since it expires every year.  :)

Betty

Betty

#4 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

You do not need to wait for your permanent residence as their are no statements mailed to your house. Might need a utility bill or some form that proves where you live. Surprised immigration did not request proof of actually living somewhere here on the island. Must be a good lawyer

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Plan Local is good for much more than just the ferry. It's how you get local prices at all sorts of businesses if you don't have a voter card (which only citizens would have), get a Parks and Museum card, etc.

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

I got my Plan Local card over 3 years ago. Still using the same one. No one has ever said anything about it being expired.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

We got a bank account on a temporary card with a bill in another name. Also, the Plan Local card is over 2 years old. One time on the ferry they said something but generally they don't. They didn't deny the discount just said to renew the card. Congrats! The card is only $100mx so if you eat out even a little you will save more than that in a year.

#8 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

Some banks do mail statements -- Banamex for sure.

Re Plan Local, if Ultramar, the first card is good for one year and renewals are good for 3 years each. Don't know about Mexico Ferries. Sometimes the ticket agents punch holes in expired cards or simply do not accept them.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

I've been using an old Mexico ferry card for over 10 years with no probs on either ferry.  

Banamex has never mailed me a statement despite numerous attempts to have this done.  Never.  

Santander where we hold one of our fidi's has never mailed me a bill for the fidi but are happy to try and charge me a late fee if I forget to go in personally and on time.  In other words, it's up to me to remember when it's due.  Oh and last year they LOST my payment and tried to charge me double this year.  I sent the head of the trust department a scan of the receipt.  No apologies just a big oh never mind you don't have to pay this year.  Demanded a receipt and finally actually did get a letter in the mail from them acknowledging payment.  Yes, miracles still do happen.

Scotiabank where we hold our newer fidi actually does mail a statement and it's only about a month past the due date typically.  Appropo of nothing I will add that when I went in to Scotia a few weeks ago to pay the fidi I was asked repeatedly and immediately to take off my shades.  I was asked 4 times before I got the message -- two at the bank officers desk and twice at the cajera window.  Ja Ja.

A comprobante -- utility bill of some sort with your name above an address -- should be enough to get a bank account.  And if you have problems, try another bank.  Different policies an also may well depend on the officer you get that day.

I like Banamex because they have a lot of tellers and a lot of places to sit down instead of standing around in line for 15 minutes.  Yes they often get crowded but I've noticed the lines tend to move right along due to the 3-4 tellers that always seem to be on duty.

Be sure to post questions before attempting to wire money to your bank account.  First of all, you are going to need the clabe -- unique banking number for your MX account. This is different than the number of your account. The Swift Code and the Surcasal (branch) is no longer enough.  

Secondly you can't wire more than the equivalent of $100,000 MXN at a pop without some special government reporting. I always make sure I'm under that amount after the conversion.

Thirdly, you typically will not be able to set up a wire transfer situation with your US or CAnadian bank without going personally into an office 'back home' and signing up all the paperwork.  That's what I had to do at Wells Fargo.  You can't just pick up the phone and tell them to wire money.  You have to get personally verified and they give you a pin number etc.  This to do a wire transfer over the phone.

You can also send a certain amount of money via Xoom.  But after the equivalent of $6000/US has been transferred to Mexico, they have always come after me to get laboriously re-verified by their "Mexican partner", Inter-Mex.  Which I don't deign to do thanks very much.  Enough damn red tape down here.

#10 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

Well we went back to Scotiabank with a copy of our rental contract + CFE bill.  There was someone with the guy we spoke to last week and someone waiting.  So we had a seat and waited our turn.  Not once did Jorge look at us to acknowledge we were even there.  Any then when I thought it was finally our turn, a customer jumped out of the long slow moving teller line and sat down and started doing something.  We gave up and walked out as we had to be somewhere.

I use to work for a bank in Canada before retiring and had to have an account to get my pay cheque.  It still had money in it and it is only for one account so we tried using the ATM at HSBC in the square and got money no problem.  We then tested the cost for doing an e-transfer from our bank to this account and it was only a dollar.  OK that is good.  Plus my old bank (where the account is free as I am now a tired employee) only charged me the exchange rate which happened to be the best rate I have had since arriving here in January.

So problem solved.  We don't need a bank here.  We will just move money from our main Canadian bank to the other one and withdraw pesos as needed.

Thanks everyone for your help

Betty

Betty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users