• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Colton

Colton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

I've been to Cozumel twice and both times stayed at El Cozumeleño.   Always found the food very satisfying and the staff friendly and willing to make your stay as comfortable as possible.  The trip to town was a short taxi ride, but not expensive.   Really enjoyed how all the room balconies faced the ocean.  The rooms were clean and well stocked by the staff.  I think All Inclusive (AI) resorts are just a peace of mind and doesn't limit me to exploring what Cozumel has to offer.   Lunch and dinner in town was wonderful.  Shopping was plentiful.   Car rental was uneventful and a pleasant experience touring the island.   Did the pirate ship dinner too.   Loved being so close to the beach!  Again, never had any bad experiences at El Cozumeleño and plan to go again next year.

Not sure if it was listed, but make sure you use ONLY bottled water for drinking & brushing your teeth.  It's been years since I've visited, so not sure if it's still an issue.

-Colton

#42 Stormhunter

Stormhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hello everyone!!!

This topic has been helping me a lot because me too am going on a budget. I will be staying at Hotel B, and me and my fiancee are planning on doing lunch and dinners at the home style, off the beaten path local places, and I found this channel on youtube that helped me a lot: https://www.youtube....gt12PAMwb6yfaug Im planningon going to most of these places!!! But please, let me know what everyone here thinks and I also hopes this helps bryan!

#43 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Stormhunter, thanks for the post about apartamentos blanquita.  I had not run into them before.  This is the kind of place I like to find.  I'll check it out on my May trip.

#44 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thanks Stormhunter for the video link.  I have watched about 10 so far and have book marked it to see them all.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#45 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Have only stayed at two commercials hotels on the island but both had their perks.  El Cozumeleño is nice, had decent food and fun nights planned for those who wish to stay on resort at night.  The beach is great and if you like to snorkel, walk to the South (approx 10 minutes).  There is a small cove where you can enter the water and snorkel back to the hotel and it's actually amazing snorkeling along the way!   The taxi back and forth may add up if you don't plan your comings and goings well.

Coral Princess is a good option to consider if you want to do a bit of 'both worlds'.   They have a breakfast included in the packages (decent breakfast, not a continental), then you can hit up town for your other meals and to explore.  Again, taxi can add up although it's closer to town than El Cozumeleño but by very little.   There are lots of places in town to eat for cheap and not kill your budget :P  Otherwise, there is a nice restaurant there but you have to pay for the meals other than breakfast.

Staff at both hotels are good though I noticed the Coral Princess does seem to have a friendlier staff (smaller, more intimate hotel and long-time staff make the difference I think) where as the friendlier, chattier people I knew at  El Coz are no longer there.  

Hope you have a wonderful visit!  The island is beautiful, the sunsets breath taking.   Hopefully you'll discover some of the quirks and character that make so many of us fall in love with the place, not just the 'façade'.  Get out and wander, check out things to do and have a blast! :D

#46 carrins1

carrins1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

We have been to Cozumel many times with our 3 children (currently 8, 10, 15) . We started with the AI route and moved on to condo renting. It has worked beautifully for us. Starting at an AI resort was nice because we were able to get used to the island and get a feel for where we were. We went into town a lot the first visit and toured around the island etc. We felt comfortable with the island after our first stay (really, really easy to get around and FUN to drive around!!! :D ) and since have rented various condos through VRBO. I have to say we have gotten so much out of the stays in the condos. We have hired in a chef (romero catering YAY)  for some of the meals, but have primarily experienced the local flavor and feel. We absolutely love everything about the island and can't wait to return for 2 weeks this summer. Cozumel is a true gem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users