• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

Tis the season for fleas and ticks. This is the first time that I have had this problem, and not sure what my options are to treat the house, and furniture.

Does anyone know if they sell Flea Bombs here, and where I might find them?

Would the exterminator on the island offer this type of service.

If I don't find a solution, I am going to be forced to wear a flea and tick collar...not a good idea. :(

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

There's some bottled pesticide in high concentration that you mix with water and spray around your house yourself that seems to work. Got it from Minerva, the vet on 95 off the Transversal and I expect Julio and other vets carry something similar as well. I had an infestation of a tiny kind of tick that's very different looking than any I've seen in the states. Rounded back. Had to pull off the mattress on our bed and all the dog beds and spray everything with this and it did the trick. Flea bomb would be easier but I haven't seen those here. (Sigh).

The between the shoulders frontline is apparently losing its effectiveness at least in town. Vets speculate that so many people are using it now and fleas are evolving to be resistant. Hope that's not true.

#3 ScubaJim

ScubaJim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

Just for your info.
About two weeks ago the place we were staying at had a bunch of ticks. I tried a few different bug killers and found that BayGone (sp?)bug spray for cockroaches, killed the ticks instantly and never seen another one after. Don't know if it also works for fleas?

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

I used to use Frontline, but found that the flea and tick collars worked really well.

They are still working, the dogs don't have any fleas or ticks on them...they just carry them into the house!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

Just for your info.
About two weeks ago the place we were staying at had a bunch of ticks. I tried a few different bug killers and found that BayGone (sp?)bug spray for cockroaches, killed the ticks instantly and never seen another one after. Don't know if it also works for fleas?

thanks for the tip. Bought BayGone on the island? Also was that a vacation rental you were staying in??? (!!!)

#6 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

Guess what smells Fleas ticks and a few other pest hate?
Mint Citronella and Cinnamon..
Rodents hate it as well. But anyway... I spray part of my yard around the pool with a Commercial product with those ingredients. I would think you might find a recipe on the net to make your own?? So...... for the yard and the future .. and BTW it smells nice to people : )
If you so desire I can get the name and the listed ingredients .....

#7 ScubaJim

ScubaJim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

Yes, I bought it on the island. Either at Chedraui or Mega. The brand name is Baygon (been around forever), with the picture of a cockroach on it.
It was more of a friends spare apt. then a vacation rental, seems this couch was just put in the place and we are fairly certain a dog that had ticks slept there
a few times. It was totally infested with ticks. I ended up spraying the whole couch and a circle around it on the floor. There were no
escapees, they all died. Services were held after.

#8 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

We had the same problem last summer with our Dogs. We were using frontline and our vet suggested we switch to a new product called Revolution. Both he and my groomer swear by it and I am now a big believer as well. I am not sure if the vets in Cozumel are carrying this but it is much cheaper to buy it online at entirelypets.com versus the vet. This may be a route you may want to try if you know someone coming to the island you could order it and ship it to their address.

#9 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

"Guess what smells Fleas ticks and a few other pest hate? Mint Citronella and Cinnamon."

Tigers hate cinnamon as well ;}

#10 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

Sevin dust, if you can get it, is an effective tick and flea killer.

We used to take an old screw on top jar, hammer some nail holes into the top and then shake it onto the dog's fur and belly and rub it in. We used it on their bedding as well.

It worked like a charm. It is toxic to bees, so be careful where you use it.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

Thank GOD, I don't have Tigers here, cuz I don't have any of the ingredients to drive them away.

What is "Sevin dust"...

I am learning so much...

Anonymous

#12 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

If anyone is interested, I am selling a new product that is chemical free for fleas and ticks. It's an electromagnetic card that hangs from the dog's collar. I'll be on the island for a week beginning Tuesday and can bring some with me. They work great. I personally use the mosquito tag and it's been amazing. I guarantee that's coming with me. I may bring some samples to give away for friends to try.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

kandy, save me 2 or 3 of them please. i'd like to give them a try. i unfortunately have a lab who is allergic to ticks. i know, a dog allergic to ticks. labs are notorius for attracting the one single tick in the yard so it's not fun with one who gets horrible allergic scabs when one is on her body.

bovitras is another option for the yard and the dogs. use a more concentrated version for the dog. does a fabulous job on the yard. not sure about house though.

i would personally be very leery of using baygon on the furniture. yes, it kills everything, but the lingering smell is horrible.

if anyone is going to plaza americas in cancun, it may be worth it to go to Toca + Cota (get it, toca mascota). it is a pet store and they MAY have bombs.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#14 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

Will do, nauticab.

Kandy

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

I would love to try them, too, if you have any more samples to spare. Two would be great for my two poodles and if they work, you'll have a steady customer! I won't be back on the island until June 4 so could you have them to Nauticab to save for me -- provided you haven't already been stampeded with requests, that is.

Thanks, Kandy

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

Kandy, are these the "Product: shoo! Tag for Dogs Flea/Tick Repellant Single (1) Tag"

The Bio on the products states it's good for 4 months...that would be GREAT!

The products (if it is similar to above) has good ratings from customers.

Could you tell me the cost for 2?

Thanks for the info

Paula

Anonymous

#17 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hey, Paula. Yes, it is Shoo! and it's been working great for people I know. It lasts for 3-4 months. For the Flea/Tick pack for one dog, the cost is $30 ($10 or less per month), for a double pack for two dogs it's $40. That includes tax.

The samples that I'll bring down with me are for people, not dogs. Sorry for the confusion in my post. These repel mosquitos.

I'm happy to bring down as many of the dog tags as people want. Dailene, Carey, and Paula, just let me know if you'd like to get some. I should have plenty in stock since I'm getting ready to sell at a local fair.

Kandy

#18 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

count me in for packet of two. if size of dog matters, they are 2 labs, weighing at least 30 to 40 kilos each. thanks!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#19 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:54 PM

You got it, nauticab. I'll drop by the shop next week.

Kandy

#20 mick

mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hi, Everyone!! We are coming down and stay at a resort this coming Friday!
Will we need to worry about sand fleas while we are on the beach at the resort and other places?
We have never had problems with fleas in Cozumel before?
Wanted to make sure because our 5.5 year old will be with us.
Thanks so much!!
Mick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users