• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

I've never had a problem with sand fleas in all the years I've been coming, and living here.

You might consider bringing along with you some prepackaged alcohol wipes, as well as a product I am using called AfterBite (The Itch Eraser) (www.theitcheraser.com) It is very effective to stop the itch. Available in drugs stores in NA.

It comes in a dabber type application, and looks like a magic marker.

The one caution I have is do not use in on any areas that has broken skin. It burns like the devil, for one unpleasant moment (lesson learned the hard way).

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#22 mick

mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thank you, Coz2wonder!!
I will make sure I bring the bite eze in case we need it!!
Good to know that we won't have to worry about the sand fleas!!
We spend a lot of time on the beach and we have a 5.5 year old.
Have a great day!!
Mick

#23 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

I would NEVER put Sevin Dust on my pets. I think it is not safe and can make them very ill. Be sure to always read package info.

#24 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

don't think anyone suggested PUTTING it on an animal...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#25 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

Somebody suggested putting it on the animal but the post has been deleted.

#26 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

Kandy, thanks for the tip on the shoo! tag. It turns out they sell them in my town here in CA. Mosquitoes love me...grrr. I really had issues with them on this recent trip and resorted to Autan, a non-DEET repellent sold in Mexican farmacias. Autan is known in Europe as DEET is outlawed there. I'm always on the lookout for non-toxic remedies. Recently saw this article about (of all things) catnip! Turns out to be more effective than DEET.

http://www.scienceda...10828075659.htm

Will give the shoo! tag a try now too.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#27 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

I was the one that recommended Sevin dust for dogs. 5% Sevin in a shaker can is all you have to do. Rub it in their fur and and legs, skip the bare skin. We used it on all of our outdoor dogs and they lived to very ripe old ages.

Don't use on cats, puppies or nursing dogs.

Sevin Dust IS recommended and an approved use on most farm animals. It quickly degrades into harmless substances after a short time frame.

http://www.agriumat....LABEL_E_252.pdf

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#28 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

Let me know how it works, ccannon. With only one exception, the flea/tick tags have worked great for my customers. Same with the people tags. I can tell you that, being a mosquito magnet myself, when I have it on me here on the island I don't get bites, when I don't I'm swarmed. I swear by it.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#29 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

After checking with my vet and doing some online research I still have to say that I would never use Sevin dust on my dogs.

#30 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

if you boil water with sliced up lemons leave overnight then put in spray bottle spray animals mainly behind ears base of tail and in armpits this should get rid of the little buggers, or applecider vinegar a few drops in their water flees hate vinegar and salt , someone told me blue dawn dish soap but I havent looked for it maybe you can get it here and then make asolution for a bath ..oh lemons are hard to get here but if you look among the limes sometimes there are a few

#31 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

the shoo tags worked for a while on my labs, but not the whole 4 months. about 2.5 to 3. never really had a flea problem....the ticks are what are so bad. then the ticks just took over. i felt like a horrible mother neglecting her kids when i revised them the other day. literally hundreds of ticks from head to toes. picked them off and killed them all over my patio, and the next morning bought the never-fails bovitras (or it's equivalent), and all gone. it was the worst i have ever seen.
note: labs are for some reason notorious for attracting ticks more than other breeds. must be their sweet blood!

once the workers finish, i will be planting rosemary in the yard.
just read this concoction:
Tick and Fly Spray - two cups white vinegar, one cup Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil, one cup water, one tablespoon eucalyptus oil (available at drugstores and health food stores).
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#32 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Nauticab:

Another customer of mine in the states indicated that on her large dog the ShooTag lasted about 3 months. Sorry I didn't know this sooner to be able to tell you.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#33 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

i always estimate half life when it comes to labs with most everything. including food!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users