• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

I was starting to paint the outside of our house a few months back, when a young man came by (his clothes were mottled with paint) and asked if I needed some help. I soon realized i was only getting in his way, and he took over. Did a professional job, fast and at an outrageously reasonable rate. We decided to do the entire inside of the house and our pool courtyard, which he did. After dropping his son off at school, we both started a brief Spanish-English session over coffee in the morning before he launched into serious painting. The house has been transformed and it probably ended up much cheaper and an awful lot faster than if I had tried to do the whole place myself. He is a hard working, motivated young man with a lovely young family (we've met his wife-she speaks good English as well-and two boys). I have no difficulty recommending him: Israel Herrera telephone 987-113-6438.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.

Can I ask what type of texture your walls have?  Ours are very rough, and I tried to paint (Sherwin William paint) one small piece of a wall and 7 coats later (with the big fuzzy roller), I can still see white popping through.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:04 AM

So far, so good. For the most part, the walls outside here (including one with a block long mural that  my wife hated and needed to be covered) and the inner courtyard are pretty rough concrete. Except for the parts of new construction, stairs, balustrades, etc. where he had to prime as well, he did two coats. The paint is the big cost. This lad knows his paints and I'm delighted with his work. Where we had a problem with humidity inside (our fault), he came back and touched up. He scraped before painting and cleaned up after. Including sanding and scraping and any necessary priming plus painting the two coats, it worked out to less than $1 a square meter. Yesterday, he just finished painstakingly sanding and staining and varnishing our outside door, fixing the lock and re-hanging it properly, all- in- all about thirty-forty hours (he refused to take more than $750 pesos. I've stopped asking for estimates as we've been blessed with scrupulously honest trades folks.).

#4 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

This is great.  Thank you as we will need some painting done at our new house once we move in.

I was told here you buy the materials and then you hire the labour.  Would be help to confirm we buy the right type of paint and amount?  And get a fair price and not the "gringo" price?

Also if we call him....who do we say recommended him?  Freezin' Canuck.  LOL

Thanks

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#5 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

This is great.  Thank you as we will need some painting done at our new house once we move in.

I was told here you buy the materials and then you hire the labour.  Would be help to confirm we buy the right type of paint and amount?  And get a fair price and not the "gringo" price?

Also if we call him....who do we say recommended him?  Freezin' Canuck.  LOL

Thanks

Betty

Yeah...  We need some done too LOL!   Good to have a recommendation and answer to those (Betty's) questions.

#6 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

We originally bought the paint (not such a good idea-the 19 litre buckets). Have now learned he knows which paints are better. A few times, he actually picked up the paint for us when it was inconvenient for us. He will recommend the best paint and the amount, once you have the colours. If you don't feel comfortable with an open-ended price, ask for an estimate, and then decide. We've developed complete trust in this young man and his family. He is a guy with many talents and a great help with our Spanish. We only get a signature for the "effectivo" that we pay in the unlikely event that down the road we were to sell and need a capital gains write off. Tell Israel that George and Sherry, his Canadian friends, recommended him.

#7 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

Thanks George.  Where is your house located?  Are you permanent here or heading home soon?  And where in Canada?

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#8 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

Hi Betty,
See a personal message i sent you re: info.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Big thing with painters here is most of them do not use drop cloths of any kind.  I keep a big supply of these around -- both the thin 10 peso ones that are so hard to unfold but work great for furniture and outdoor shrubbery and the heavy duty "lonas" tarps as they are called here that are made of heavier plastic, last years and years and are now available steadily at the Mega.

First paint job we had done assumed the guys would cover everything and do a good job.  So, stupidly, I went off to Cancun for the day and left them unsupervised.  Came back to my cobalto blue bathroom tile completely splattered with tiny droplets of white paint.

Now I use a quiet, honest, clean union painter named Gaspar.  I expect he charges more than Israel if Israel isn't in the union but I also highly recommend him.  Neatest guy I ever met.  Fast and unobtrusive.

Most painters use Comex.  They think it's much better and we've had very good interior luck with that brand.

For very rough surfaces like you're talking about, Paula, you might consider mapla which is a kind of plaster paint hybrid.  The exteriors of both our houses are coated in this.  I costs more and has to be put on with a plaster trowel and smoothed.  But it lasts 10 years and up.  Only problem with the mapla is it may or may not attract more than the average amount of mildew.  I know I have to have my tall places bleached every 2-3 years.  But that wouldn't be such a hassle on a one story structure.  It's a bugger on our 3 story building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users