• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

This totally sucks.... In addition to the high airline ticket prices now add on $50 more.

Quoting from AP:

American Airlines Group Inc. announced changes to the frequent-flier programs and checked-bag policies on Tuesday.

Here are some of the highlights of changes to American's bag fees:

— A new charge of $25 to check a bag from the U.S. to Mexico, the Caribbean or Central America, starting immediately. A second bag is still $40.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#2 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

So at this point Delta and United are the only "1 free checked bag between US and Mexico" airlines.  I wonder how much longer that will last.

#3 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

I'm glad I booked a month ago.  Saved myself $50.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#4 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Is that only if you are flying on freq flier miles?

If not, does it apply to already booked in 5 weeks 2 days people?

#5 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Is that only if you are flying on freq flier miles?

If not, does it apply to already booked in 5 weeks 2 days people?

From what I've read online it's (2) different changes; ie. New FFM rules &  new baggage rules.  I'm pretty sure AA can't retroactively charge more for a ticket already bought.  I could be wrong, though.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#6 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

If you look at the aa.com website, their baggage fees for US-Mexico travel give fees for tickets bought 'before April 8' and 'after April 8'.  (http://www.aa.com/i1...eAllowance.jsp#!charges)    First bag free (before 4/8), and $25 after 4/8.  

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

I guess I better enjoy it then.  My last "free" bag when we come in May.

#8 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

I guess I better enjoy it then.  My last "free" bag when we come in May.

I have airlines classified as 'level 1' (meaning whatever their airfare is is what it is - this used to be Delta, United, and American).  Level 2 was everyone else and I have to add between 50 and 70 bucks to their tickets to compare their prices to everyone else.  Then all alone at level 3 is Spirit.  They charge for caryons, their checked baggage is smaller and lighter - 40 lbs instead of 50, and they charge for that too.  I add about 150 bucks to their prices to make them comparable.   I saw a funny video a few months back that was poking fun at Spirit.  The funniest thing was that when the oxygen bags fell out of the overheads, they had slots for quarters - you got 1 minute of oxygen for each quarter.  

#9 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

"I saw a funny video a few months back that was poking fun at Spirit.  The funniest thing was that when the oxygen bags fell out of the overheads, they had slots for quarters - you got 1 minute of oxygen for each quarter."

Dan, I laughed so hard when I read that!  I've never flown Spirit, but if I do I reckon I'll take a roll of quarters, eh?

David

#10 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

I've read Spirit also charges for the restroom (more quarters!), but don't know if that was a joke... or not. :blink:

AirTran (affiliated with Southwest) had the least expensive tickets + best itinerary into Cancun when I was looking. Unfortunately they don't feature SW's "bags fly free" business model. So yes, they charge for bags but still figuring in bag fees they had the best rate.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

We love Airtran BWI to CUN, but the buyout by Southwest is closing in.  Our flight in May is still Airtran but now the flight numbers have changed to SW numbers.  Soon no reserved seat and we use those funny line up things.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#12 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

With Spirit's extra charges they are more expensive than American.  Go figure..................

#13 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

This has nothing to do with American Airlines, but it kind of related to the Spirit video I saw.

http://abclocal.go.c...orld&id=9504011

#14 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

DanB:  That was so funny.  Thanks for sharing

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#15 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Does anyone one know about bags brought for 'humanitarian' purposes?  I want to bring a bunch of children's books down and someone at work mentioned some airlines won't charge you for a bag like that.  That would help.    Many offer it but can't seem to find anything regarding AA.  I did notice if you're first class passenger, you get a three bag allowance :blink: Maybe their trying to discourage the rest from taking any!  LOL!

#16 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Was checking December pricing through American and the ticket prices dropped from $668.00 to $518.00 from our small airport in Tyler through DFW and on into Cozumel.  I grabbed it put it on hold and called El Cantil to make sure the dates

I held were available.  Al fixed us up with our room and I bought the tickets.  I guessed what I saved we'll spend on bags!!!  That sucks.

#17 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

The AAdvantage citi card has first checked bag free.

Cindy

#18 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

It does?  How do I do that?  I do have their card.

#19 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

I am confused if it is waived or not with the aa card. When I read the baggage info, I read that with a platinum card the first bag is still free. When I booked the flight, it reads first bag $25.00, second $40.00 on the flight down and for the flight back reversed charge, $40.00 for bag one and $25.00 for bag two. I have sent an email asking for clarification. No response so far.

#20 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

Please let us know what you hear from them 2cozlovers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users