• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

I have a Platinum Level AAdvantage card and just checked my Member Benefits in my online account and this is what it says: Looking at all it say, I don't think I have a baggage fee!

• Travel with Privileges
    • First checked bag is free for you and up to 4 travel companions traveling on the same reservation3 FIRST CHECKED BAG FREE: For benefit to apply, the Citi®/ AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle Airlines, Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., or Chautauqua Airlines, Inc. This benefit will not be available for travel US Airways flights or on codeshare flights booked with an AA flight number but operated by another airline. For the Citi® / AAdvantage ® card, up to four customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantage® elite program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see aa.com for baggage weight and size restrictions. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
  • And than I found this when I clicked the baggage information in my AA reservation:  I bolded and underlined the line that applies to me with a AAvantage Platinum Level card.
  • The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and 2nd checked bag at no additional charge (for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2014) provided it falls within the size and weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and American Connection®. On flights operated by other carriers, different baggage charges may apply.  Be sure to check your itinerary and receipt to see which airlines’ charges apply.

• For customers traveling to or from destinations in South America, Panama, El Salvador, China, Japan and South Korea
    • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets (3 checked bag allowance)
    • Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders (5 checked bag allowance) or personal travel (3 checked bag allowance)
    • Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
    • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum* or AAdvantage Platinum
    • Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K and MVP Gold
    • oneworld alliance Emerald* and Sapphire
    • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum* or AAdvantage Platinum member or oneworld alliance Emerald* or Sapphire member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
    • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
    • First and Business Class AAnytime® Awards
    • First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check-in

* AAdvantage Executive Platinum and oneworld Emerald members are eligible for up to three free checked bags.

Additionally, the following passengers will be allowed 1st and 2nd checked bag at no additional charge for tickets purchased before April 8, 2014:

• Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
    • AAdvantage Gold members, oneworld alliance Ruby members and Alaska Airlines MVP members
    • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld alliance Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
    • Economy Class AAnytime® Awards

Cindy

#22 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I received an email today. Not a direct email to my question, email sent out to all cardholders. Free checked bags are only for domestic flights. Mexico is now excluded the way I read the fine print. Not making me happy. I need to research, but for now AA still appears to be best option for me. Flying out of DFW is a direct flight to Cozumel. No half day of bag drag from Cancun and extra cost involved. Maybe Southwest will consider a direct flight at some point in the future. Overheads will now be premium space.

#23 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

I upgraded to platinum for that!  I still have time to cancel the upgrade so I think I wll.

#24 Tax_Accountant

Tax_Accountant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

For any of you that are eligible for an Amex platinum, (it doesn't take much to qualify), you get a $200 airline credit that you can use on any airline (as well as tons of other perks). My husband and I took took six full pieces of luggage to Mexico when we flew into Leon GTO earlier this year and basically got all of those fees refunded. The card itself has a $350 yearly fee, but it always pays for itself many times over. We have already gotten well over $3,000 in free travel (hotels and flights that we paid for entirely with points). My sister in law uses the same card and goes to Brazil every year for free, as well. Her flight always costs over a grand. Something to think about if you travel a lot. 

(Just noticed that someone already mentioned  a platinum card, but not Amex. Sorry about all the edits!

Edited by Tax_Accountant, 06 May 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#25 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

It looks like United is charging for the first bag as well for economy seats.  $25 for the first bag and $40 for the second. 

#26 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Son just flew out Saturday on Delta, first bag was free.

Friends use there AA credit card, and the first bag was free.  With all the baggage fees, it was cheaper for them to upgrade to first class, and bring 3 bags free.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#27 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

If the AA flight was booked prior to April 8, then the first bag is free. Flights booked after the 8th are now being charged $25 down and then $40 for the return flight.

#28 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Delta has come up with something interesting. It's now $25 per check in bag for the Delta puddle jumper from here to Atlanta. From Atlanta to Cozumel, the first checked bag is free to Coz and back to Atlanta. Then another $25 per bag back on the puddle jumper. $100 extra. Sigh. Last time we flew Delta, all first check in bags were free on all legs.

#29 John I

John I

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

I received this email, and I booked after APril 8th using an AAdvantage card:

Dear Mr. Ivey,

Thank you for your message to aa.com.

In regards to your question, your First checked bag is free for each of you, because you are holding the Credit card.  Your stroller and car seat will be free, as long as you are traveling with a baby.  In addition each of you can have one carry on with no more 40 pounds  and 42 Inches each and a small item, like a diaper bag or lap top or bag pack.

For information on infant baggage allowances, please follow the steps below:

-  Visit:  www.aa.com/children

-  Next, read the section on Carry-On and Checked Item Allowances

For more information on baggage, simply visit:  www.aa.com/baggage

For additional information concerning baggage and optional charges, visit:

http://www.aa.com/i1...ces_charges.jsp

For further assistance, simply call us at 1-800-433-7300 (24 hours/daily). For our international numbers: www.aa.com/phone

We hope you have many pleasant journeys with American.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users