• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

05_month-title.gif
3_gr.jpg
Sacred Mayan Journey

May/22/2014 - May/24/2014

http://www.travesiasagradamaya.com.mx/

The voyage will be done in traditional Mayan canoes starting in Polé, today Xcaret, towards the island of Cozumel, as well as the return from Cozumel to Xcaret.

25 handmade canoes are prepared on the old traditional Mayan model, and 300 rowers from the communities of Xcaret, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen are trained for their navigation. The Sacred Mayan Journey involves approximately 50 kilometers (total return), representing 6 to 7 hours of free paddling each way in the Cozumel Channel, which is 420 meters deep with a current from south to north 2 to 4 knots, adding to the crossing a level of risk and great physical effort for the rowers.

The project of the Sacred Mayan Journey was founded with the purpose of recovering one of the most significant traditions of the ancient Mayan people of the region: the ritual journey of the Cozumel Channel to worship the Ix Chel. Goddess. This event began in 2007 to revive interest in the Mayan culture and strengthen the cultural identity of people of the area.

source document:http://www.cozumel.t...bout/events.cfm

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Darn!  I arrive May 25.

#3 hegerfelda

hegerfelda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

do you have any more information on this?  such as where and when we might be able to see the canoes?  we arrive on May 23 and would love to see this.  all the info I can find online is in Spanish...my Spanish is pretty limited.  (I'm learning...but right now, unless I need more beer or a bathroom, I'm out of luck.  lol)

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

The link provided has the option of viewing in English. Look for the American flag button in the top right corner. It is a nice production with good actors (good rowers too), costumes and all, not that this actually ever happened prehistorically with the Mayans. The current knowledge shows the whole notion of Mayans traveling to Cozumel to worship the goddess Ixchebelyax to be a 20th century invention. I don't know if Ric dares to tell us what his research shows about the whole history of Cozumel during the mid 1800s. So often, history is chosen to make a good story when the actual truth may be more interesting. Well worth seeing though.

#5 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

do you have any more information on this?  such as where and when we might be able to see the canoes?  we arrive on May 23 and would love to see this.  all the info I can find online is in Spanish...my Spanish is pretty limited.  (I'm learning...but right now, unless I need more beer or a bathroom, I'm out of luck.  lol)

A suggestion for figuring out what websites in spanish are saying - you can type the webaddress into google translate and it will translate the whole webpage.  (You do have to be a little forgiving on the exact translation, but it helps a lot.)  A link to google translate is:  http://translate.google.com/#es/en/    Put the URL address (e.g., http://www.poresto.net/squintanaroo.php?idSeccion=2 ),  set it for 'Spanish to English', and press 'translate'.  That's pretty much how I read the local newpaper online.

#6 hegerfelda

hegerfelda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

perfect!  thank you!  (excellent info to have, DanB!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users