2 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

A visitor asked about a good eye doctor in another thread. It's well known among locals that the very best by far eye doc on the island is Concepcion Planas who has offices right next door to the San Miguel Clinic on Calle 6 between Ave 5 and Ave 10. She is also an eye surgeon and has a very fancy lasik surgery clinic in Cancun. She's the one to go to for an exam.

I believe my last exam cost $400 pesos so about $35 US.

eye glass frames choices are much more limited on the island than in the US. Lots of frames in the same price as you'd pay at Costco in the states, however. But the designer frames will be more expensive.

I generally get my exams from Planas, find lenses in the US and then have them made up via Planas's office. The cost for the prescription lenses seems to run about the same in both countries but you will save considerably on the eye exam itself.

Planas also does restylene and botox treatments and has a lot of loyal customers.

#2 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

One thing to be careful about in selecting lenses - I did the same thing that Carey did - eye exam here, frames in the states. BUT when my frame need repair here - they were rimless lenses - they could not be repaired because the lens is attached perpendicular in the states, and they are attached horizontally here. If a repair was to be made, there would be a big hole on the corner by the attachment. : (
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

Dra. Planas is amazing! When we were there in March, my husband went to her for Lasik. She did the consultation, they went on the ferry/cab to the clinic, and he had at least 3 follow-up visits with her. The cost was a mind-blowing $1270 (that's about 1/4 of the cost here in east Texas!). The hubby needs a bit of enhancement which he'll have done next week when we're back; his eyes were horrible to begin with so this was kind of expected.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users