• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

I grow my own jalapenos, so they are always available.

If I am cutting the jalapenos in half, I use a metal baby spoon, and run the pepper under cool water to remove the seeds.  Really fast, and the little spoon just pops those seeds right how.

I precook my bacon until it's almost done.

If I'm making about 10 jalapenos (20 half's) I use one small cake of Phili cream cheese, and equal amount of extra sharp cheddar cheese. Mix until all is integrated.

Stuff the jalapenos, and either wrap, or place bacon on top (It's easier to just put the bacon on top) and bake at 350 for about 1/2.

If your doing whole jalapenos, you may want to blanch them for about 2-3 mins in boiling water.  

I prepare one day a head, sliced water chestnuts in brown sugar, and soy sauce to marinate in the frig.

I stuff some cheese mix in the bottom, place the water chestnut in the middle, then fill the rest of the pepper up with the cheese mix, and place the top back on.

I bake them at 350 for about 20-25 mins if blanched, 45 mins if not.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

Water chestnut? Bacon?

That sounds so good!

#3 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Water chestnut, brown sugar & soy sauce.  That's new to me.  We grill whole ones (I use the serated apple core tool to scoop out the seeds & ridges).  We usually grill them every weekend during football season and a couple times/month the rest of the year.  I make mine basically the same way w/o the chestnuts/brown sugar/soy sauce.  I do add minced garlic & chopped fresh parsley to the cheese mix.  I also use uncooked maple bacon (tooth picks hold it on).  It's a PITA as the bacon grease causes flare-ups, but the grill is used so much it's just another thing to do.  I'm neutral on the water chestnuts, but think I'll try them along w/the brown sugar & soy sauce.  The whole prep is messy, but they taste so good!  Thanks for the tip!

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#4 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

I used to leave them whole after I hollowed them out but I find that its now easier to cut the whole in half and then scrape the inside out with a spoon.  These are a great way to get rid of leftovers as well....Seems like we always have some chicken or beef from the night before laying around that is already cooked.  So I just stuff with cream cheese, whatever is left over, and wrap with bacon.  I used to top rack them and then place foil below on the grill to prevent flareups.  Now I just turn the left 3 burners, and upper rack them on the right hand side.  It takes a bit longer this way since you are using the grill like an oven but it is pretty much set and forget with no flair ups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users