13 replies to this topic

#1 hegerfelda

hegerfelda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

hello!

We will be on Cozumel 31 days from today!! (but who's counting??)  Our teenagers are very interested in going parasailing but I haven't found much information online other than the cruise ship excursions.  Can anyone give me an idea of the cost, location and whether we will need reservations for parasailing?  Thanks so much!!

#2 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hi where are you staying??? If you are staying North of downtown go to playa azul beach and ask at dive shop there. Price is 60.00 for 30 min.
If you are staying to south go to carlos and charlie beach club and ask for chichi or Pedro and they will get you a pairasail boat ride
There price is $55.00
I have gone to both places to pairasail
Lots of fun

#3 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

With a reservation they always require deposit so i would just go to either of those locations and you might have to hang out and have something to drink or go for a swim while you wait. Smiles

#4 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

captain of the port is right. I have been pairasiling more than a dozen times in Cozumel and its a great experience

You could have a car accident,moped accident or just fall down on uneven pavement
Pairasaiing boats along with other boats used for tourisum are inspected on reg basis

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

"parasailing boats along with other boats used for tourism are inspected on a regular basis"....So when did they start that? Are you kidding, it is hard to tell sarcasm on the Internet. The port captain is dodging responsibility for his lack of action in the well known in advance weather system that brought in this heavy squall from the cold front passing through the area. Some other parasail accidents in Playa and in Cancun resulting in deaths tend to cast doubt that equipment or operators are ever inspected. Sure you could have an accident on a scooter and slam into the fourth story hotel balcony and then fall to your death. All the parasail deaths I have seen reported in the area were situations that had no excuse.

This new port captain has not won any public service awards and hasn't yet grasped the differences between Cozumel and his last post in Vera Cruz or wherever. It was reported that the boat captain fled the scene after the accident. It was also reported that the boat was owned by ScubaDu based at El Presidente. One report said that both had minor injuries while another said the women was very seriously injured with head trauma from being repeatedly banged against the concrete post. Given the variety of information reported, it had all the appearance of "one of those Cozumel happenings".

I am no stranger to taking calculated risks in extreme sport activities, but this is the type of activity that I wouldn't touch in Mexico or other third world locations. Good luck, I would suggest trying to inspect as much of the equipment as well as you can.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Seeing  the parents were on board, and DID NOT FILE A COMPLAINT, there were no charges.

As for inspections, YES there are safety inspections.  I worked for a company that one of their tours was for para sailing, and YES they had to be inspected.

Ask to see their last inspection certificate.  

I will also say, a few expats went to the hospital to lend support to the family if they needed it.  That's what the community is about.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

I know that the dive operation I use has to have their boats inspected every year, including life vests, oxygen, and other safety equipment.

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Never mind.

Cozumel Diving

#9 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

It is not safe.  Some are safer than others.  That said we have done it in the past when it was much cheaper.  You just have to know going in that it is risky and try to use the best operater available.  Although we just used whatever dudes were on the beach back in the day.

If you bunji jump, parasail, etc  then you accept it is a risky activity.

I think it is awesome that some expats went to support those people who were injured.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Mike, I wish you had left your post up.  It addressed the accusations, and misinformation that has spread.

I have tried to address this issue with facts.  I guess some folks want drama, not truth.

If there is  EVIDENCE of bribes being given and taken, then the person making those accusation has a responsibility to report it.  If not, then they are part of the problem.

However, I have seen and read so many misstatements, you gotta ask, what's their motive???  

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Mike, I agree with Coz, wish you'd left your post up....

#12 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

OK then, I will re-state it.

#1 This squall was not the really strong storm that hit the island a couple of weeks ago. This was a different squall and Charles has confused the two. One was a monster and the other was not. IMO a boat captain is AT LEAST as responsible for knowing the weather conditions as the Capt. of the Port. I don't need anyone telling me when it is unsafe. I know when it is unsafe. #2 All boats have annual inspections. If the neighbor felt like inspections occur once every few months, that would be correct, 12 months. I have seen  dozens of boat inspections and have never seen anyone ask for a bribe, nor have I ever been asked for a bribe.  #3 Slandering a guy with 3rd party information is just plain wrong, especially since the party in question was more than willing to pay a bribe to get keep an unsuitable craft in the water. #4 I am not saying that no bribe has ever been made on the island, but you do not bribe people when you are in the right and have all your documentation. That kind of problem is very easy to resolve. #5 Charles is constantly telling us how bad the press is in Mexico and that rumor should never be held as truth. Apparently this does not apply to him when he wants to use the same press and the same rumor mill to make an extremely negative statement about the island.

Things happen on the water all the time. The difference between your most fun day on the water and your worst nightmare, is a sudden change in the weather and a moment of distraction. Is parasailing safe? How many thousands of people do it here on the island every year? How many accidents? How many accidents in the last 20 years. That is the way you judge safety. Not with conjecture or speculation.

Like I said before, the whole thing with the two negative posts stink. Slamming someone anonymously, on-line,  based on 3rd party information (especially given the ethic of the 3rd party) is pure horseshit and frankly, in many places, would get the person who wrote it a date in court. Posting on-line the accused name, title and town, while hiding behind anonymity is cowardly.

Cozumel Diving

#13 hegerfelda

hegerfelda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Alrighty then.  hmmmmm.... thanks for all the input.  Consider me confused.  lol :)  I guess we'll just wait and see what the operators look like and try to make a decision based on whether they seem trustworthy...and maybe watch someone ELSE do it before I let my kids go up.  hahaha!  Thank you!!!!

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

Ask to see their inspection sticker.  Look at the vests, look at the ropes.  You may not be able to tell much, but the obvious will stand out.

But, you do assume the risk, even if your walking across the street.

The island has a lot to offer. If you skip this there still will be great things to do.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users