4 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I just wanted to mention that there is apparently now a Swim with the Manatees activity associated with Dolphin Discovery. Had a visitor who wanted to sign up for it and I told him he must be mistaken. But apparently not. Anyone know about this? And, if so, any details? As in where are they getting these manatees? Do they have them in the Sian Kian marshes or something?

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Yep, there here.

When we lived in Fla on Indian River we would sit and watch the "sea cows"...what wonderful creatures to watch.

They used to have signs up for boat traffic "SEA COW CROSSING" all over the place.

http://www.dolphindi...e-encounter.asp

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

I have done "swimming with Manatees" in Florida...in the wild. A much more adventuresome swim was going swimming with Sea Lions which I did in the Galapagos Islands. I was cautioned about this and did so very, very carefully.

"Make your life lighter and laugh out loud with the funny sea lions and their curious behaviors at Cozumel ..."program includes fun activities with sea lions. You will learn about their diet and also you will feed them, pet them and they will give you a kiss.

Now just how and why did these funny creatures ever get the name Sea Lions?

Because they are big marine mammals at the near top of the food chain and can muscle and bite their way through anything that gets in their way or take a big chunk out of anything these "curious" animals decide they want to taste. I was told to especially watch the big males as they could bite your heel as they might fight a rival male for rights to rule the roost. Besides the moral concerns, I question the wisdom of having a play swim with something that high up the food chain. Orcas perform, but I haven't seen any swim with Orca experiences, not yet. I understand they are offering swim with sharks on the mainland. Why pay to do these things when you could pick up a few buckets of blood and fish guts, chum the water well and have a grand old time watching predators eat until they decide you should be the main course.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

My guess is that because Manatees are listed as an Endangered Species, these Manatees would born in captivity.

The only comment I would make in regards to any of the Dolphin, Sea Lion, or Manatee programs, is we (humans) are the stewards of our environment. Without responsible care( in the wild, and in captivity) we will never see them again.

I did a little research on the Manatee, and found that the manatee's closest relatives are the elephant and the hyrax (a small, gopher-sized mammal).

There will ALWAYS be an inherent danger working with, or interacting with wild animals, and mammals.

As a kid, I learned so much from Marlin Perkins, Omaha's Wild Kingdom program. Poor Jim Fowler, Marlins sidekick...he always seemed to get the end that bites!.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

We heard it was there when we were in CZM the first week of May. I didn't go but some friends did do the dolphin thing. I don't know if they dropped by to see the manatees.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users