#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Link to a map af Lake Atitlan http://www.larutamay...ake_atitlan.gif

The town of Panajachel is nice. I've seen more tourists here than anywhere else in Guatemala. There are lots of restaurants, bars, gift shops, motels, and everything else that goes along with a tourist area. The people have been nothing but friendly. The market by the water is being set up now and we are looking for a place for breakfast. Not much opens before 7:00am but we found a place.

Posted Image

The restaurant overlooks the lake and the views are great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The temperature is warm, the sky is clear, and it looks like it's going to be a nice day. The women are out doing their wash.

Posted Image

We've got no plans for the day so why not hire a boat and go bar hopping around the lake? After talking to one of the captains we make a deal. There are a dozen villages around the lake and the captain is going to take us to five of them. We get to spend as much time in each village as we want and he will wait for us. Total cost is $400 Quatezales or about $50 US. We get in the boat and we're on our way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

First stop is Santa Catarina. As the day goes on I forget some of the names of the villages.

Posted Image

We found a bar and hotel overlooking the water and stopped for a few drinks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They must put on a good party here as this is a grill for cooking a whole pig.

Posted Image

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

I traveled along Lake Atitlan in 1971. We were advised to pack food from Guatemala City as you were out in the wilderness. Tourism hadn't been discovered yet. You could spend all day and rarely see a tourist and there was next to nothing in the way of even small roadside stands. A place that sold beer was a real rarity and beer was about the safest thing to drink, at least it had been pasteurized, even bottle soda was suspect. Things have changed a bit in the last almost 40 years. I had pictures of the same volcanoes from about the same spot and if you looked to the sides along the shore, you might have seen on small dock and a couple of the local boats you pictured, but others more like dugout canoes. That main stretch of road along the lake couldn't have had more than a few hundred people living within sight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users