Moving to Cozumel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 3yearplan

3yearplan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, and moving to Cozumel where I can dive like other folks play golf--as often as possible!

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

I just found out that I can pull off moving to Cozumel in 3 years (at the most), and I'm super excited!

Of course, I am a diver, and Cozumel is the most beautiful and logical place for me to land.  I see that many of you are fellow Texans, so you know that run between DFW and CZM is an easy one to take.

Thank you for all the valuable information on this website, and I'm already taking lots of notes for the future. B) 

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

My advice is, carry no debt with you.  Ditch as much "stuff" as possible, and expect the unexpected!

It's almost 12 years that we have lived here, and it was through this site, and the advice from those who came before me, that saved me from inflicting a lot of unnecessary pain on ourselves.

Start practicing dropping the phrase "but, in the US I can get it..."

Welcome aboard, and best wishes!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 3yearplan

3yearplan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, and moving to Cozumel where I can dive like other folks play golf--as often as possible!

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for your response!

I agree to come down with no debt, and that's a part of the 3-year plan.  I am pretty good at taking a big task and breaking it down into manageable parts.  Even though I am a U.S. citizen, I am not a person who thinks another country should adapt to me, so longing for how things are done here isn't going to be a problem.  I've lived overseas before and have done a decent amount of traveling.

Part of my plan is to come spend at least a month in Cozumel within the next 18 months.  I will probably make shorter visits there in anticipation of renting somewhere long term.  Through my family, I have some connections in the diving community, so if I get in a bind, I have some resources for help.  Honestly, there's an outside chance someone will have to take me to the hyperbaric chamber, right?  (kidding, but only partially!)

My profession is moving to the cloud, and I'll be able to work from the internet and still learn my U.S. wages.  I have a home in Texas that will be paid off soon, and really, I don't have any other debt.  I will also bring little with me, as it's just easier to buy things where you land.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

Right mind set, right goals, right attitude.  You WILL succeed!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

Sounds awesome.  I keep looking for a way to 'cloud' my job.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 3yearplan

3yearplan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

CVChief, I am really lucky to have a firm that looks to the future, and I've already announced that we will be opening an "office" in Cozumel.  Even if I am in CZM 50% of the time, that's 50% more than now.  I just need to take care of business here, paying off my house, setting aside funds, etc., and not get ahead of myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users