• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sherrintxs

sherrintxs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

I have always heard about how bad the mosquitoes are...last year was our 7th trip to the island and that was the first time we had to deal with them and wow....I am use to them here in south Texas and all, but curious if they are bad again like last June.

#2 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

Haven't seen any of the big ones like last June but plenty of little ones have been around over the past few days.

#3 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

One can buy a superior insect repellent in Cozumel = brand name Autan. It does not contain DEET. Autan is the brand name and it is used in much of the world for a DEET alternative -  the active ingredient is Picaridin. My German friend told me DEET is prohibited in Europe but the active ingredient in Autan is OK. I have used it and in my experience.. IT WORKS. Available in spray and creme.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Warnings about DEET, have been proven false, if used correctly. I use both OFF and Autan (whichever happens to be available and the both work fine for me). You might want to bring some repellent if you are coming soon. Heavy rain is expected this week. The mosquitos will be out immediately afterwards. Mega was out of OFF and Autan Tuesday and Wednesday. Last year the island had no OFF or Autan for sale for nearly 3 weeks. A lot of people look for more natural ways to repel mosquitos. I do not agree with them and the reason is this: There is Dengue on the island. It is no joke. Messing around with home made remedies in the face of Dengue is just not responsible.

Cozumel Diving

#5 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

I bring my OFF even in February (not so many mosquitoes as when we have been there in June and July). Those pesky little guys like to congregate in the jeep floor underneath the dashboard overnight and I have to flush them out with my beach towel and spray my legs. 

Cindy

#6 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

The Autan brand name is gone and those products are now marketed as Off Family -- available as cream and spray. The AKI on 30 has stock at the moment. Don't know how long that will last.

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

OFF Family doesn't even come close to keeping those nasty moscos away from me. Now, with this weather, we're going to have a full-fledged invasion.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Picaridin is one of the repellents listed by CDC as effective in repelling dengue-carrying mosquitoes.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Interesting.  So it is good for the lil house sobs with the dengue?  What about the big jungle ones that draw a quart at a time?  Any reason to go with it over deet?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:54 AM

The main reason to choose one repellent over another is personal preference, which could include personal sensitivity to an ingredient.

CDC recommends only 4 repellents: DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or PMD, and IR3535. NOTHING else has been shown to work, specifically including anything taken systemically, any patches, all vitamins, and other aromatic compounds.

DEET and picaridin are "conventional" repellents, and OLE/PMD and IR3535 are "biopesticide" repellents (derived from natural materials). CDC does not say these all work equally well, just that nothing else has been shown to reduce transmission of mosquito-borne illness. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov...-and-arthropods

DEET is not prohibited by the EU or any member countries that I can find, including Germany. The active ingredient in Autan Family Care is DEET (15%), referred to in Europe as "diethyltoluamid". http://de.wikipedia....Diethyltoluamid

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Cool.  I thought maybe you had some new info on picaridin being better than DEET on house mossies.

The B vitamin patch sounds cool if they ever prove it actually works.  Of course it sounds too convenient to be effective!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

15% Deet is good for the mosquitos in Texas, but here on the island I need at least 40%. Yep, industrial strength!

I'm trying out a new device you hang from your belt or purse strap. It worked great this past Friday night, but I want to give it a few more tries before recommending it.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

It's actually possible to get 100% DEET, but there's a significant risk of skin problems at that sort of concentration.

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

I bought a little 100% emergency DEET.  It is melting its protective cap.  I think, though, when I used it, I saw a whole mossie family getting on the ferry to Playa.... :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#15 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

I religiously used 40% Deet and I am still scratching them a week after our return home.  However, I am not sure if they are mosquitos or sand fleas.  Because I never actually caught them in the act.

#16 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

A buddy of mine told me that Cozumel has "No Mosquito's" - said they dont live near the ocean and I was so happy about that - and now, I feel like "well, thats about right"  - Leave the mosquito's in Oklahoma that carry "Lime Disease" only to discover another species of mosquito that carries another dreaded disease.  Guess its "business as usual" with insect repellant~!  So glad I perused the postings~!  Wonder what other tidbits of info I can gleam off this site ?  

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#17 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

There are no mosquitoes anywhere on earth that carry Lyme disease.

There are PLENTY of mosquitoes on Cozumel, and some of them carry Dengue (also known as "Breakbone Fever" for how it feels if you have it).

#18 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

There are no mosquitoes anywhere on earth that carry Lyme disease. Yeah I typed that and hit POST before I realized what I had typed - Oh well, Im 65 and I just had a "senior moment" - but they seem to occur a lot more often than not.  What I meant to say was "West Nile" - and that has popped up around my area some this season but not so prevalent as in previous years. 

There are PLENTY of mosquitoes on Cozumel, and some of them carry Dengue (also known as "Breakbone Fever" for how it feels if you have it).

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#19 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

I have used the 100% deet on my legs and feet which normally get chewed alive everywhere I go both at home and on the island.  That stuff is nasty, it pulled color out of my leather sandals.  I only use it on my lower body and wash my hand thoroughly afterwards, and then apply the 40% deet everywhere else.  I am not sure why, but the lower percentage deet doesn't stop them from getting my ankles and legs. 

#20 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

We use deep woods off.  You do have to wash t your hands well or it will eat away at your sunglasses every time you touch them and they will break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users