8 replies to this topic

#1 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:49 PM

From Scuba Board:

Good lord, it looks like "they" are actually building another cruise ship pier south of Puerta Maya on the north part of Paradise Reef. I have no idea how they could even contemplate encroaching in the "National Park" but the politics of Mexico still does not Surprise me. On Friday there was a meeting of groups wanting to stop it but at his time I don't hold out much hope. It looks like they are starting to drive pilings now.

I just have no idea how this was allowed to happen in the "Marine Park".

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

A long thread follows. It's effing criminal.... apparently money from cruise ships trumps nature and scuba diving tourists.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

Frankly, I do not understand the surprise. People who have been diving here, since Puerta Maya was built, only know Paradise as the two  sections, that are available to divers now. The pier of PM is built right on top of what was the 3rd section, which was the most beautiful and largest area of coral at Paradise. The cruise industry has totally destroyed the ambiance of the island. Now they are taking out more reef. A lot of divers shun Paradise, but it is a beautiful, if over used, little reef. We are constantly being told that the reefs are a treasure to cherish. Apparently monetary treasure over-rides all other.

Cozumel Diving

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

The crane is there, and if you believe what was reported (with pic's) in por esto, they are re-homing the coral, and sponges.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

I hate the cruise ship industry, and can't understand why people don't consider their impact on the Caribbean experience when they pile onto them and descend en masse on the various islands for their 4-6 hour visit.  So sad.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

Many people who were on those cruise ships have come back to stay on the island.  

Cozumel is a tourist destination.  Over 3 million visitors a year.  Most on cruise ships.  The economy of islands like Cozumel could never be supported by land based travelers alone.

I have never found the desire to cruise, but maybe I haven't found the destination yet that would change my mind.  I hope that if I do, there won't be somebody standing on the pier with a sign that says "Cruisers go home".

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:09 AM

In the last 10 years, I have spent thousands of dollars in Cozumel as I vacation there each year, not to mention other friends and family members that have vacationed on the island because of my recommendations; all because Cozumel was a port of call on my first cruise. 

Cindy

#7 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:42 PM

In the last 10 years, I have spent thousands of dollars in Cozumel as I vacation there each year, not to mention other friends and family members that have vacationed on the island because of my recommendations; all because Cozumel was a port of call on my first cruise. 

I've never been on a cruise and not sure I ever will, but it could happen I guess.  When I was first came to Cozumel it was "quaint" and fun.  However, eating places/drinking places/snorkel tours/diving tours/fishing charters were few.  Cruise ships have changed the island and the income/living standard for many Cozumelenos.  Life goes on and no "quaint" island goes unnoticed.  I enjoy Cozumel.  Cruisers don't bother me and they bring big $$$ to the isla!  As small as the island is, you can always find a quiet place to relax.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:38 AM

Here's some history of Puerta Maya.

http://www.nytimes.c...sts-waters.html

There was strong local support for building a new pier or piers, but not in that location. According to the local referendum on Puerta Maya, 60% of the votes opposed the Paradise Reef location. The 60% is pretty good considering the widespread reports of Joaquin Haces bussing the workers to vote in all the voting locations. The townspeople supported building a pier downtown and north of town near Beatrice Joaquin's house.

This Consortium H building project was the first attempt to transplant coral and sponges. Praise! Some biologists had doubts it would work. Naysayers! But we'll never know as a Celebrity ship dropped and dragged an anchor and wiped out the entire transplanted undersea garden. Oh damn!

During the Green Peace "takeover" I was riding in a small zodiac that was filming the event. This was the second time I thought I would be murdered by government officials in Mexico.

Among the numerous environmental protections decreed in the permits was to leave 49% of the vegetation intact. Joaquin Haces went for the scorched earth policy and wiped it all out. In the latter stages of construction, Haces had lost all his political connections (Ruiz Massieu brothers both dead), Mario Villanueva was on the run and he had no more financing to finish the project. This is when the ecocide of Paradise Reef caught up with him. He was arrested, yes the man Joaquin Haces Calvo sat in jail for two weeks not being able to pay the environmental fine of $500,000 dollars. Carnaval Cruise Line agreed to pay his bond and this was guaranteed by Don Nassim Ibarra. This ultimately led to CCL purchasing all remaining interest in the pier and Sr. Haces fled the country for Spain, leaving behind assorted demandas, debts and other arrest warrants.

Given his history on the island, I was surprised to see Joaquin Haces return with a project of building the biggest aquarium in the world project. Is the aquarium open yet? How are the transplanted baby corals and sponges doing?

Given the history of Cozumel, nothing would ever surprise me. The island possesses an infinite ability for both positive and negative, good or evil, but money, especially money in the right places will always "trump" everything with maybe the exception of "the Donald".

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:49 PM

Fortunately, it was quickly rebuilt after the hurricanes.

With 3 million tourist Cozumel receives, and most of them cruise ship clients, that is the islands life blood.  

The work that has/is being done by ecology department has benefited the island.

One thing about the environment, it does recover from most things.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users