• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John I

John I

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

We are coming to the island in October for a couple weeks and have never actually went to a cenote on the mainland other than peeking over into the one at Chichen Itza. We will have our 6 month old with us.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a cenote with good stairs, no ladders or ropes, and perhaps one that you can think of that would be friendly for bringing the baby?  Trip Advisor is not a good source for this info, and I know many of you have probably visited numerous ones.  I'm obviously not so worried about crowds or having it to ourselves, since we have the baby good facilities would be a priority.

Thanks

john 

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

I was poking around looking at different tours available for cenote and the youngest age I saw that accepted was 4 years old.  Couple of things that could be an issues is getting into the cenote.  Most you have a climb down to get in, and the other concern would be the water temp for the baby.  It will be chilly.

Not sure how far you want to travel, but this one is beautiful, and has a easier, but longer walk.  I really enjoyed it.

http://hubpages.com/...o/cenote-ik-kil

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Gran Cenote on the Coba road about 8 kilometers west of hwy. 307 in Tulum used to have good access via stairs  and is a beautiful cenote. It's not sunken in the ground like Ik Kil. The water is cold and I don't think any baby would enjoy a cenote. I am pretty sure they don't enjoy tourist attractions like the adults would but give it a shot. Even if the baby doesn't like it you will.

#4 John I

John I

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the tips!  I'm not sure whether we would get into the water with the baby or not, but I wanted to find one that was at least friendly to walking and had decent facilities close by.  I will be at least a few years before we can "climb" down into one :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users