• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crystalsea

crystalsea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hi.  My husband and I have been spending Feb in Cozumel since 1995 and have been reading your forum for many years.  We had decided to spend Feb and Mar next year.  

I have recently been diagnosed with macular degeneration and must receive injections in my eyes every four weeks.  I'm wondering how those of you who live or winter in Cozumel handle medical issues.

My options are to return home after four weeks, have the injections and fly back, or to perhaps arrange to have the injections in Cozumel, Playa del Carmen or Cancun. I would need to see an ophthalmologist who specializes in retinas. I know my insurance would not pay. 

If you have heard of anyone having this done, or have any advice, I would appreciate it. 

I enjoy reading your forum.  Thank you in advance.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

I would first contact Cocepcion Plamas.

Concepcion speaks perfect English.  I have great faith in her.

If you can bring the med's with you, then you don't need to go anywhere.

If you need a eye surgeon, I can provide you with my husband eye surgeon in Cancun. 

http://opticacaribe....id=31&Itemid=35

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 crystalsea

crystalsea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Thank you, Coz2wonder. I sent an e mail to Concepcion.

I believe I will need an eye surgeon, so would appreciate the doctor's name in cancun. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:31 AM

It was Cocepcion who recommended this eye surgeon for my husband, and she is just wonderful!

Dr. Kathia Oilver Fernandez

www.medicavision.com.mx

(Kathia speaks perfect English)

If your familiar with Cancun, her office is across the highway fro Plaza Las Americas.

You would take the ferry from Coz to Playa, then the ADO bus and get off at the Mall.  If you want to taxi to or from her office from Playa it's about $40 usd's.

If for some reason you would need to overnight, there is the IBIS hotel right around the corner.  Great hotel, and a SUPER, WONDER little Supermarket on the bottom food of the hotel!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 crystalsea

crystalsea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

Thank you so much!  I will take this information to my appointment next week and see what my doctor thinks.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

Her surgical suite is in her office complex.  It is top notch.

My husband had a detached retina, and it was a really bad situation.  It took 4 hours of microscopic surgery to reattach the retina.

Kathia, and her staff could not have been more helpful.  Orders the medication, had it delivered to the office.  Made sure we where both okay, and any help we might need 24/7.

Husband going back for a check up this month, and will continue every 6 months.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users