11 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

I forgot to mention that a week before Carnaval the federal police were stopping all the American plated cars they saw. All my neighbors were stopped along with 6 or 7 other people I know so the feds could check the papers on the vehicle. I was worried about being legal as my import sticker hadn't been updated in about 8 years. I was careful and didn't drive into town and took rides as much as I could. One day I drove and tried to sneak out of town by taking 65th. all the way to Melgar so I could go around the island without going thru town. I was almost to Melgar when I got pulled over. I thought I might be in trouble at that point. The office wanted to check my papers. He wanted to see the paper that the sticker on the window came from and my ID. The papers were from 2006 and he told me I was good to go. My  room mate Tony also got stopped. He has 2 vehicles down here on the island. One is American plated and the other Mexican plated. He has his permanent residency card and was driving the American plated car. They told him he was fine also and let him go. I still don't know what is legal but Tony's lawyer told him not to worry about driving an American plated car with your permanent residency card.

Anyway our party was coming up on March 25th so we had to get everything set up and start cooking a lot of food. Arturo again said it was ok to have the party at the Villa Blanca restaurant. I had ordered 20 kilos of baby back ribs 3 weeks earlier from Carne Max but when I went in to pick them up they weren't there. They didn't bother ordering them. We had to go to Mega and buy spare ribs. They actually cut them the way I wanted and didn't charge me for the scraps.We par boil our ribs and had a few big pots going the dy before.

DSCF0512a_zps3f24e95e.jpg

They all came out good even though we had to cook them at a few different houses.

DSCF0513a_zps2abd389e.jpg

Kemtmorr Dave has become our pizza maker and spent the day before making all the pizza dough. We all met at the restaurant early to get things set up. We had a few problems with the oven not working right but everything finally worked out right. Manny made out Italian sausage. We had a lot of people helping and bringing food. Linda Staton brought dessert, Canadian Dave brought beans, Anet brought salad along with everyone else who brought something that I can't remember now. I had a few beer by that time.

DSCF0520a_zps6f14b48f.jpg

DSCF0524a_zps2ebcc713.jpg

On top of everything else going wrong our musician didn't show up even though I booked him 3 weeks earlier. Pepe (puppet man) had to go and track him down after about an hour into the party. He did show up finally.

DSCF0518a_zps3f142bf0.jpg

We had a few drizzles of rain but not much. Steve helped out on the grill when Greg was taking a break.

DSCF0519a_zps3429253e.jpg

I think the party turned out very well. We had plenty of food and plenty of people. I think everyone had a good time. Maybe next year we can get more people to come so everyone can meet each other.

DSCF0521a_zpse6ed9e55.jpg

DSCF0522a_zps41eb719b.jpg

DSCF0526a_zpsf0e4391b.jpg

DSCF0527a_zps9379e71e.jpg

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

Awesome looking party! 

You know I was just wondering "how does Steve make out with that explorer, with all this car talk?"  And there is the answer: "Just fine."

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

This has scared me for years that Steve would suffer a life changing event. If ever he was in an accident with the Explorer....oh boy! Since the car is not valid, it can't be insured! Any purchased insurance is merely just a nice thought just as alcohol consumption invalidates normal legal insurance coverage, you could purchase or pay for insurance online and obtain papers, but if there is an "incident" and a knowledgeable person actually matches up the papers.....sorry, but it will not be pass GO and collect $200 dollars. If you like to live dangerously, this is kind of riding on the edge. I suggested years ago disposing of the car by leaving it across the border in Belice. Steve knows he is taking a serious risk.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Charles, did you read this bit about Zona Franca and all that?  Like the people that say they turned in their tip and are fine in QR as long as they keep the US tags current? 

What is your take on that and the whole "No Hassle Zone."

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#5 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

What I don't understand is why I should be worried about the Explorer. I was a little worried before I got stopped by the Feds but they said my papers are fine. That took a load off my mind as now I am not worried about driving. If Q roo is a free zone as I have always heard then I really don't need a TIP. The vehicle is fully insured and has been since I brought it down. My touris card is valid when I am driving the Explorer. Why should I have any problems if the vehicle was brought into Mexico legally? I don't keep the plates up but I've been stopped over a dozen plus times throught Mexico an no one has ever said anything about my plates or even checked the papers on the Explorer except this last time when they wanted to see the paper the sticker came on. I had been leaving the vehicle with my neighbor that is Mexican so she could use it when her truck broke down. This year she was stopped and got fined $4000 pesos because she was a Mexican driving an American plated car. That I understand. I don't see any reason why I should be bothered by the police because according to them the vehicle is legal. I have also been stopped on Cozumel by local police at some of their check points and all they want to see is if you have a drivers license. None of it makes any sense to me so I just don't worry about it. I will phone my insurance company again and see what they have to say.

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

I e-mailed my insurance company about an hour and a half ago and this is the response I received.

Stephen,

This is somewhat of a gray area.  Our Mexican carriers require the vehicle to be legally in Mexico in order to provide coverage.  Technically, if the vehicle permit is expired, then the vehicle is no longer legally in the country.  However, if QR is truly a free zone and does not require a vehicle permit, then as long as the officials in QR consider the vehicle legal, then you should be good.  I see that you have just a liability policy with HDI Seguros.  We will get in touch with them on Monday and run this exact scenario by them and let you know what they say.  Thanks!

Chris
Adventure Mexican Insurance Services
(800) 485-4075  USA
info@mexadventure.com
www.mexadventure.com

I guess I will here back from them on Monday and will post what their response is. Does anybody know where I can find a copy of the law that says a temporary import permit is not needed in QR? No, I don't carry collision on a 1991 Ford Explorer.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Try this:

Just for grins, try this from the 3.4.7. of the

REGLAS de Carácter General en Materia de Comercio Exterior para 2013, y su anexo 10 (Continúa en la Tercera Sección)

REGLAS DE CARACTER GENERAL EN MATERIA DE COMERCIO EXTERIOR PARA 2013 Y SUS
ANEXOS: GLOSARIO DE DEFINICIONES Y ACRONIMOS, 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 22,
23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 Y 29.

Los vehículos propiedad de residentes en el extranjero, podrán circular dentro de una franja de 20 kilómetros paralela a la línea divisoria internacional y en la región fronteriza, siempre que cuenten con placas extranjeras o documento comprobatorio de circulación extranjero, vigentes y se encuentre un residente en el extranjero a bordo del mismo.

Los vehículos a que se refiere esta regla podrán ser reparados por talleres automotrices localizados en dichas zonas siempre que cuenten con la orden que acredite la prestación del servicio y que contenga el RFC del taller automotriz, en caso contrario, copia del RFC del taller automotriz, y podrán ser conducidos por los propietarios o empleados de dichos talleres, con el propósito de probarlos, siempre que circulen en días y horas hábiles, dentro de las zonas autorizadas, y cuenten a bordo del vehículo con la documentación arribaseñalada, así como el documento con el que se acredite que existe relación laboral entre la persona física o moral propietaria del taller y quien conduzca el vehículo y en el que conste la orden de prueba que fue dada al conductor.

Salvo prueba en contrario, se presume que las personas físicas de nacionalidad mexicana, son residentes en territorio nacional. Los mexicanos residentes en el extranjero podrán acreditar ante la autoridad aduanera, la calidad migratoria que los acredite como residentes permanentes o temporales en el extranjero, mediante documentación oficial emitida por la autoridad migratoria del país extranjero o con la autorización expresa de la autoridad competente de ese país que le otorgue la calidad de prestador de servicios conforme a losacuerdos internacionales de los que México sea Parte, o bien mediante el aviso de cambio de residencia fiscal, a que se refiere el último párrafo del artículo 9 del Código.

Read the whole thing here.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

Read the whole thread on check your vehicle import status.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

If I remember correctly when we communicated about various "issues" years back, the vehicle was registered in your brother's name. When you drove across the border with John, the original car visa was tied to his tourist visa. Although many rules and laws have changed considerably since you first "imported" the car, certainly the rules in effect then were that the vehicle permit expired when your brother's 180 day tourist visa expired, or as was the case with John, when he surrendered his visa at the airport to fly home.

In order to bring in a vehicle today, Banjercito would require both the title and a valid registration and tag in your name. I would suggest contacting Banjercito for their interpretation of the law not the least of which would be the name on the current tag registration if it remains in John's name. I wouldn't expect the assorted check points around Cozumel to have definitive knowledge of the law and then you'd always be open to having to wait while this is all sorted out in the event of an incident (no fun).

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Chief and Charles. I still don't know where I stand as is the par for Mexico. I do try to stay legal in Mexico but it's hard sometimes. I could get the Explorer nationalized but don't want to spend $2500 US for a vehicle that we only paid $1000 for. The title is still in my brothers name and he was in the vehicle when I was stopped. We weren't even asked for a tourist visa or passport. The officer really just wanted to see the paper that the TIP came on and an ID. When the Explorer was brought into the country we needed a title, current registration, drivers license, and a credit or debit card in the name of the owner so a fee could be chargedl. The fee was between $20 and $30 dollars.

I could go to Belize to leave Mexico then have my brother sell the vehicle to me and re-enter the country with the vehicle in my name. That way I could keep the papers valid every 6 months. I don't mind spending time in Belize. What I don't know is if just a signature on the title saying the vehicle has been sold will work without having to have to file in the states for a new title. I don't even have to cross the boarder and go into Belize to get a new TIP and tourist visa. It can be done on the Mexican side for around $800 pesos. Right now I am not to worried about it. I'll talk to my insurance agent and tell him what is going on and find out how I can be legally insured. In the mean time if necessary a $1000 or $2000 peso bribe can go along way.

I am not to worried about getting into an accident. I never drive over 30 mph except once in a while on the cross island road and I am extremely carefull in town. I did have a lady back into me at Sam's parking lot  but she was more than happy to get out of there when I told here she did no damage to the Explorer. Worse comes to worse, I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee I will drive down and leave there.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Steve,

If I kinda read the law right, couldn't you go someplace without leaving the country and get ride of TIP, turn it in or whatever.  Then your Explorer is no longer 'on the books' in Mexico?  Then sell the vehicle and change the title.  Then you should be fine in the free zone without a TIP, right?  Getting rid of the tip is what it sounds like skibum did?  Of course you would need to get a tip to leave QR, but you could get it when you are going and return it on the way back into the 'Roo.

And lots of people talk about getting US plates from somewhere in SD that is supposed to be the bomb.  You can read about it here  I think the big thing is they don't require you to carry US insurance while in MX so it is much cheaper to keep the registration legal.

Of course the 1000 peso might work just as well, unless they all start recognizing the explorer!  :P

Add: Maybe better yet, get rid of the tip and do the sale and go right to titling it in SD in your name?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

I still don't know anymore than I knew before and I guess I never will. This is the response from my insurance company:

Stephen,

We contacted HDI Seguros (your current Mexican carrier) and they said as long as the vehicle is legally in Mexico, they will provide coverage for your vehicle no problem.  As far as if QR truly is a free zone that does not require vehicle permits, we are getting conflicting information.  Provided here is the contact info for 3 local Banjercito offices in Quintana Roo.  They should be able to tell you for sure what is required to keep your vehicle legal while in Mexico.

Subtte. López
Encargado
de Módulo 01 983
Lunes a Domingo
09:00 - 20:00 hrs.
Av. México s/n, Edif. Aduana
Fronteriza, Subtte. López,
Chetumal, Q. Roo, C.P. 77900
983 834 5043
983 834 5043

Pto. Juárez
Encargado