• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ODWO

ODWO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hello to whomever responds. Thanks for any thoughts and recommendations.

I used to vagabond to Coz back in the mid-late 1980's. I say "vagabond" because we never stayed in the resort areas to the north or south. We just took the bare necessities and had a clean, dry, comfortable place w/Air Conditioning. Well, it's been too long and time for me to come back. This time, I'm bring my wife who's never been to Mexico.

I've told her about the Island, the people, everything, and she's ready. Plus, she's recently been taking Spanish classes and is pretty good with it (she's a teacher and it comes in helpful for her job).

Way back when, I used to plan the trip with buying airfare, and then my dive friends would contact Vista del Mar and have a room set up, waiting for us. That was then.
I've done a bit of reading on this site - just now registering and my 1st post - and I was open to renting a condo, cottage, cabin, or even getting back in touch with the people at Vista del Mar. It was a nice place for what we wanted back then. We didn't really want to be out on the ends of the island ... staying in town and wnjoying the real Cozumel was always much better, and fun.

It's been so long, and back then, I'd actually read a newspaper, go to the travel section, and what I needed. Things have changed somewhat. :)

My question(s) are:

Can you either point me to a site, or a forum that talks about where to (safely) stay. Yes, we'd like to stay in El Centro area ... I think that's what they were sayng .... safe and centrally located. Back then, our group used to walk around a ways off the normal tourist routes, even at night, and we never worried about .. anything.

Airfare, is it just a matter of calling Continental (we live in Houston,TX.) and booking a flight? Any recommendations for getting cheaper than average cost airfare (too)??
I used to dive alot, but this trip, we'll just be enjoying the island life and hanging around the beaches and snorkling (she isn't certified but doesn't dive anyway). We just want to be laid back and unwind without all the Cancun Crazy. We'll have fun, but we aren't in our 20's anymore. :)

Any recommendations for lodging (recommended places to stay), airfare? I know this site has recommended places, but are their any personal recommendations?

We've also considered moving, retiring to Mexico as well. It would be nice to be around any expat's who have made the jump, and hear their stories.. how they did it. I hope I am posting this in the right forum.

Thanks for any replies. We're looking to come down sometime around the 2 or 3rd week of July and staying 2-3 weeks. Everytime I look at the pix' of Cozumel, I can't help but remember that beautiful water, and the friendly locals. I also remember some of the "ways" and "customs" of the people ... and seeing other "tourists" demanding - interupting - and just being obnoxious while on the island. I'm sure they never gave themselves the chance to really unwind from wherever they came from. I'm sure there are plenty of tourists running around, but Coz always had a way of being alittle more laid back than some of those other resort towns ... at least, the last I remember.

Thanks again for any replies.
Dean.

#2 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

You'll be amazed at the changes everywhere on the island. Some good and many not good.
You should find good airfare prices on Funjet. I've been looking at air only from Dallas and it's $620. for 2 people.
We have enjoyed staying at Hotel Colonial...it's just off the south east side of the plaza....it's nicer than some of the cheaper places on/near the plaza.

#3 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

Call Funjet. I'm not able to see any air only prices from Houston.

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

I've not found much cheaper than Continental out of Houston. We just book online.

What is your price range for lodging? It covers the spectrum from the plaza and out walking distance. Do you need a pool? I have some favorites to recommend, but don't know how they'd fit with your plans.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users