• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Maroma man

Maroma man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Last time I was on the island was 30 years ago with my parents. I can't wait to see the place! Back then we flew to cancun and then took a puddle hopper over to Cozumel. This time we are flying directly to Cozumel. I guess my question is...how do I get to the hotel? When on the mainland I use a private transfer to get me to the hotel quicker. Does Cozumel have such a thing? Is it expensive? We are staying at the allegro.

Thank you in advance!

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

Everyone buys a ticket for the van service, crowds in and they take you.   No private transfers.  You can walk a ways off the airport and get a taxi, but it wouldn't be worth it for the allegro. 

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

A company called Aviomar has the monopoly on shuttles from the airport.  They are very efficient and the price isn't bad.  When you come out through the glass doors from customs, hang a right.  The last booth at the end before the bathrooms and with back to the big windows to outside is the Aviomar ticket booth.

Tell them you're going to Allegro and they'll give you the set price.  Pay, get a ticket, turn back around and head back to your left and out through the glass doors.  You'll see a bunch of white vans sitting there.  Someone will ask to see your ticket and where you are going and point you to the right van which will be for other people going to your area of the island.  Very easy.

Coming back from your resort you can take a taxi.  Taxis are allowed to bring people back but not take them away.

I don't know what the rate is to Allegro but am going to guess perhaps?? $25 US/person.  I'm probably off but bring $30/person in cash and you should be fine and you might get a pleasant surprise.

I'm catching the van next week and I'll try to remember to check their prices and post.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

It's important to keep in mind there is one shuttle ticket booth but multiple time-share sales tables and booths masquerading as the shuttle. Pay attention to Carey's directions. After you've turned right leaving customs the real place is on your left as you head down the hall, behind glass with a big price board on the wall inside the booth. It's very clear all they want to sell you is tickets and they won't try to make conversation while everyone else will try hard to engage you.

Per person to the Allegro should be 115 pesos.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

If it's been 30 years, you (and  all of us) can enjoy seeing the early days of Cozumel.

There is a Facebook page that is all about old Cozumel.  It's an open group, so anyone can see the pictures, and stories, and post.

First time for me to the island was 1975.

https://www.facebook...78060848876166/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:07 AM

1975??

Was that by boat or did they have planes back then?   :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Land Bridge...jajajaja!

We landed in Cancun and took the Xel Ha ferry over, if I remember correctly.

We stayed at the Mara Hotel, which is now Hotel B.  I still have our flight info, and hotel receipts.  I have no idea why I keep this stuff!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Maroma man

Maroma man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Thank you for the quick reply! Great information. Another question...there was a restaurant back then, the owners aid it was the only restaurant made of imported wood. I think it was called Paricos(?) is it still there?

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

There are a couple of "wooden" restaurants around, but that might be a good question to ask on the "Old Cozumel" forum.  If you can give a location, that could narrow it down.

Anonymous

#10 Maroma man

Maroma man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

Coz2wonder,

I found an old photo of the restaurant I was looking for. It was called "Morgan's". It was owned by a gentleman who hailed from Lebanon. He was very nice. Is that restaurant still around?

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

ah Morgan's.  Long gone.

It was Morgans, then it was Baby Reef (owned by then, Reef Club), now it is a 7-11.  The DQ which was next door is now Woody's.

Anonymous

#12 Maroma man

Maroma man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Thank you.  I guess I'll get the family in front of the 7-11 to recreate the photo.  :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users