• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bike1962

bike1962

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

I know this may sound silly, but can anyone tell me if there is a Mcdonalds on the island.  I know there was a few years ago and I read that it closed in Dec 2011.  I might have a Big Mac attack!!!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

Rest assured there is a giant Mickey D's on Calle 11 a block past the big intersection of Calle 11 and the Avenida 65.  It's on Calle 11 right side of the street just before the big Costco/Aurerra Bodega parking lot.

That said and depending on where you're staying you'll probably want to get there by rental car or taxi unless someone else chimes in with another one. There used to be one upstairs on the waterfront downtown that was particularly popular with the locals for their soft serve cones.  It's now an argentine-style restaurant, however.

#3 bike1962

bike1962

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info.  Staying @ the Hotel Cozumel.  I know where the Costco is.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

no Costco, SAM's Club.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

went once...I like to order my foods the way I like it.  Not over cooked, and dry.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

It is a shame.  I think with the attentive staff Fogo could be good if they could get the business.  You HAVE to have big numbers to make that work.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

You can't live on tacos all your life, sometimes you need a good burger.  We get our fix at Burguer House.  It's open Wed-Sun from 7PM-midnight.  It's on 5th between Avenida 3 y 5 Sur.

They have the best burgers on the island and can also do them to go.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Is that the little blue booth?  I have heard that was good.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Used to love to get an ice cream cone at the old mc'donalds and sit on the malecon.  

We tried Fogo in May.  Way too expensive for what it was.  the staff was great.  The salad bar was down right weird.  The meat was not all that tender when we went.  It was fun, but not worth the cost. Only 1 other couple were eating there.  They seem to have "flexible" pricing.  What they told us it would cost was 10 less per person than what it did cost.  Still enjoyed it though and i hope they succeed.

I think they will need to change things to get enough business.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

We all got local prices (I know! How did THAT happen? :o  )  when we went, but you can't run the model of restaurant on a few couple eating.  We had like 6 or so people and the place filled with smoke while they tried to cook.  So we mostly got rare stuff they didn't have time to cook or old stuff they were trying to hold over.  I hear they are doing breakfast, so I have thought about going to that to support them a little.  The staff was just GREAT.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

I agree.  We really liked the staff.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

unless the staff is edible, not worth going back for me.

There are a few places that are highly recommended, which I have tried and won't go back. El pie de carbon comes to mind second after Fogo.

Anonymous

#13 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

The salad bar had quaill eggs - lol.  Just not what I am use to for sure.  It wasn't bad at all.  It just wasn't worth 30 bucks a person.

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Really? Carbon has been on my list.  I was told expensive but good meat.  Now you have ruined it....  :(

When we went the salad bar was OLD.  Cuz no one was there to eat.  and $30 would be a GREAT deal if they had tons of hot fresh meat!

But I am going to make point to try breakfast unless someone wants to waive me off of that too?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#15 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

I don't think we'll be trying Fogo soon either. Sadly, for a good Argentine/Brazilian carnivore fest, there needs to be good turnover and plenty of customers. We went to one outside of Chicago, the place is always packed, and the food was fresh and delicious. Hard to do if there are only a couple tables of customers.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Dawn B was with us, and she and her husband had a good filet mignon at El Pie.

The spices where very good I will say, just couldn't cut the prime rib, and my husband couldn't cut his steak, and to much fat.

Sorry Chief:(.

Anonymous

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Great. Well the list is smaller now.

Dawn! That is the only place I ever went to one. You weren't Schaumburg ?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#18 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

I havent tried and problably wont try El Fogo for dinner, but the breakfast is very very good.  We eat it a couple of times each trip.  Al Pie del Carbon we really have liked the 3 times we have been there.  Their chicken is very good and their steaks have been above average.  We find the service to be on the slower side even for Mexican standard but not really a big deal if you know that going in.   What we really like is their queso fundido that they put on the coal fire, dynamite. 

#19 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

Great. Well the list is smaller now.
Dawn! That is the only place I ever went to one. You weren't Schaumburg ?

I couldn't remember, but we think it was close to Wheaton. Husband thinks it was in Oakbrook. I just remember the salad bar was spectacular, and the meat just kept on coming.

I would give Al Pie another try. Just get the filet, hard to screw that up. Paula's prime rib did look strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users