• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Just a friendly reminder that you can drive SOUTHBOUND on the old road from Caleta, but you can not drive NORTHBOARD.

The northbound lane is reserved for bicyclist only.  No scooters, taxi, trucks or cars are allowed.

You can travel southbound as far as Palancar beach, then the old road is closed for all traffic except bicyclists all the way to Mescalitos.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

I hate you can't drive the old road.  The only people I see using the reserved area are scooters.  Course I wouldn't mind the cop job of sitting at Money all day and going  "No not that way....."

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

scooters shouldn't be on it either.  

I really miss driving on it too.  Into town, look the water.  Back from town, look at the water.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Well at least the scooters are using it.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#5 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

When we were down in Feb  in a couple of trips around the island we saw more taxis and scooters on the bike road than bikes.  Don't think I recall ever seeing a bike on it.  Hate it. 

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

scooters shouldn't be on it either. 

That has been my belief.

However, when we bought some scooters and were riding them around that side, a motorcycle cop waved us ONTO that road from the main road. Twice.

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

I very rarely see bikes on that side of the road. It's really frustrating. I have to admit that I've used it for short stretches a couple of times when I overshoot where I should have gotten on it to get to a specific place out there.

I could understand closing it the week before Ironman or half Ironman. I could even understand certain hours of the day the rest of the time. But to shut it down to vehicular traffic 24/7 is a bit ridiculous.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

Saw a grand total of two bikes on that road when we were down for two weeks in April. Not both on the same day either.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

From my observations since the restrictions of the old road have been put in place, it is seldom used by bicycles.

My concern is, there might be that one bicyclist on the road, and it then it becomes an accident scene.

From what I see daily, most bicyclist ride on the main road.  Sometimes two or three abreast.  They can create their own hazard by doing so.  They are peddling at a much lower speed then the 80km posted (seldom does anyone go 80km).

When it's time for the bike practices, I might see more on the old road, but it appears the bikers what to practice on the road they will race.  Which is the main road.

It is my position that having this bike lane on the old road has created more of a hazard, then has provided safety for the cyclist.

Got to say, I am mighty pissed that my post which is exactly what I posted here, was deleted because someone complained that it was "inappropriate".  What's INAPPROPRIATE is not making people aware that they can be fined, or worse, cause an accident with a bike.

The reason for me even posting it in the first place, is because many of the people on that site are newbies...What an EVIL, STUPID person who had it deleted.  

Anonymous

#10 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

I can understand your frustration regarding a deleted post with relevant information. I have had the same thing happen on another forum. Don't wish to start any kind of conflict, but while it may be your opinion, calling the person evil and stupid adds no value to this forum, it isn't nice, and is also inappropriate. My opinion. And if I get blasted/attacked for this, so be it.

Valli

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

to me it's like warning somebody that the bridge is out.  Somebody who has an agenda delete that notice.  What would you call them?

We each have an option, and mine is for anybody to do that are evil and stupid.  Perhaps, you're a kinder, gentler person then I.

Anonymous

#12 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

As I indicated, I understand your frustration. I just personally don't care for the name calling on the forum. I appreciate the consistently accurate and up to date information you and CMC provide on an ongoing basis.

Valli

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

I posted this for awareness, and a reminder.  

I do not want to see someone injured or worse killed because of lack of knowledge.

I make no apologies for my opinion.  It's not "frustration" it is amazement as how callous some folks can be.

Anonymous

#14 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Having a house on the old road and riding bikes every a.m. when we are there, we would love it if these rules would be revoked.  As a homeowner, it is nothing but a nuisance not to be able to turn left and drive into town.  Coming home at night, it is very difficult to see the signs and not turning at the required spot is frustrating and a waste of fuel.  As a cyclist, there are just too many taxis, tourist-operated rental cars, and scooters still driving in the bike lane to allow any degree of comfort.  

#15 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

While we are on this topic:  Last trip I noticed there were places on the new road where there were piles of sandy rock.  Hopefully these were going to be leveled off for places to pull of the road and walk to the beach but I'm guessing probably not.   Also, if you park off the new road and are partially in what I would call the bike path on the edge of the road will the bicycle police come and ticket you?  Probably find out next month as that is what I will intend to do.  I'll bet some of us can also guess who deleted the original post.  Enjoy!   

#16 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Us yearly visitors are grateful for your reminder.  What forum would delete useful info like that?

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

Things change all the time here, but the old road usage hasn't.  The taxi's that used to block the old road to do pick ups from the beach clubs are now parking on the cross over roads from the new to the old.  

Of course that creates a hazard because they are blocking ones view from oncoming traffic.

It is a shame that a few folks (one of 3 comes to mind)  on TA found my post "inappropriate".

But, that is off topic, and we have already heard the complaint.

Anonymous

#18 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Wow.  This is shocking.  I have always found this a place of people who love Mexico and Cozumel and who have a lot of great info.  There is ZERO negativity here compared to every other forum I go to.  If people think this one is negative they do not get out much!

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Nice.  'I am going to yell at you and then I am not going to listen to anything you have to say about it.'  I gotta say that was a REALLY negative way to address someone being negative.  I guess that is the 2 wrongs rule.  Of course, no point mentioning it as they won't read it.  (anyone laying odds on that?)

And C2W, since you don't eat Mexican we are going to have to discount your 12 years on the island and start you over from -0- at the eating of the enchiladas.  You may be considered a 24 hour resident at this point.   Please return your 12 year green, 'local' card.  You will be issued the pink, 'still a tourist', 'not-local' card.  :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

it is what it is...perhaps I should not have voiced my opinion on how I felt about TA deleted my post about the old road.  Appears I ruffled a few fathers.

The point of this post is that as long as there are still  rules on the old road we need to aware, and careful.

Nobody wants to get involved with having a ticket, or worse.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users