• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bike1962

bike1962

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced rental company near the Hotel Cozumel to rent scooters for a couple of days?

#2 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Scooter rental is nuts.   Not cause of you, but because of the others...................   If you must though ISIS has them.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

There will be rental agent for cars and scooter inside the hotel.  There are no competitors directly around the hotel.  You can check online "cozumel scooter rentals" and lots of options.

I do recommend that you be very careful.  Regardless if you have ridden for 100 years.  If it rains the pavement on Melgar turns into an ice rink. Lots of one way streets with no signage.  Stops signs are only suggestions.

I would do two things, buy trip insurance, and make sure you have enough available credit on your credit card to pay for any medical treatment in case of an accident (doesn't matter if it's a scooter or auto).

Make sure you take full coverage if possible.  You can not pay for any damages (scooter or auto) with a credit card, it must be in cash.  So, know how to get ready cash.

I am not trying to lecture you on the wisdom of renting a scooter..  I rode them for years here.  I would much rather have you aware, then get blindsided if something happened.

Be safe, and have fun!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 bike1962

bike1962

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the replies.

#5 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Scooters/motorcycles are dangerous in the US, but even multiple times more so in Cozumel. Loose sand and gravel; wet pavement. A car rental for beater VW convertible is only about 5 or 10 dollars more. Even Margarita at Isis Rentadoria will tell the you the same thing. I have never done the scooter but I have rented the beater VW many times and had a blast.

#6 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Just talked to friends that stayed in PDC and did a day trip to Coz.  They rented 3 scooters from Bonefish rental and were very happy with them.  They are north of Hotel Coz next to Costa Bravo Hotel.  Ask for Gabriel or Carlos and they will take care of you.  They are the guys who worked for Less Pay for years.  Were headed down in July and intend to use them for our car rental.  Be Careful and enjoy.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Ask for the Jetta.  Some friends had it and it was a very nice car.  The AC did blow up one day, but they fixed it and had it back that night.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 bike1962

bike1962

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Thanks again.  We've rented them before in Coz, but its been a few years, and I can't remember where we got them.  Anyone have a rough idea on a price for a one day rental?

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

.  Anyone have a rough idea on a price for a one day rental?

With or without the ER trip?  :P

(sorry, I couldn't help it....)

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Before you rent the scooters, at least hear my horror story. I was in Cozumel over New Years, 2000 (December 31, 1999). Last day, January 1, 2000, I wasn't diving, so my girlfriend and I rented two scooters to go around the Island. My Girlfriend decided to go back to town for some shopping, while I hung out for a while at Mezcalitos. When I started heading back, it started to rain, and the wet pavement with gravel and potholes made it hard to control the scooter - one deep pothole and I went head over handlebars at about 30 MPH - 7 broken ribs, 4 broken in more than one place, one punctured lung, one punctured spleen, lots of road rash (I was still picking small pebbles out of my legs two weeks later), one horrifying night in a Cozumel Clinic, one $19,000 careflight back to Dallas, and 8 more days in a hospital in Dallas. But at least I lived, though with the broken ribs I'll have back pain the rest of my life. At least I was wearing my helmet - if not, I would have joined the many other American Tourists who return from Cozumel in body bags, all due to scooter accidents. My advice, rent something with 4 wheels. If you insist on the scooters - it might be fun, but you might be very, very sorry - WEAR THE HELMETS, AND BE CAREFUL!

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

How awful Dan.  It is truly heartbreaking to hear and see such injuries.

One thing to remember here, we do not have "Good Samaritan Laws". With that said, people will lend assistance. Call 066, try to give comfort, and in some cases give aid.

I personally have witness way to much.

I have never found statistics about the rate of scooter accidents on the island.  With the hundreds of scooters rented daily, I wonder what the percentage of road rash, damage like Dan had, and deaths.

I am experienced motorcycle rider,  I rode a scooter for years here.  I was lucky, and damn glad when we sold the scooter.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 Hooked on Coz

Hooked on Coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Sky Diving, Riding my Fatboy

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

Hola,

This will not be a popular post but here goes anyway. I've been riding bikes in Cos for 20 + years  and treat it the same as when at home. Iam not addressing the folks that never ride at home, if you dont then dont do it there! If you do then just be careful. Its no worse then any place at home, same fun and cheap. I suggest there are as many reasons not to drive a car on the Island as there are for a scooter, bad roads, stop sign infractions...... just be prepared and covered in the event something goes wrong. Its no more difficult then at home. And for those that disagree, save it and lets agree to disagree. ;)

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

I don't disagree with Hooked comments.  Experience counts for everything.

I swear, if the island rented F16's people would rent those too.  

It's the same thought pattern for scooters.  I have no experience, looks like fun, and what could happen?

Anonymous

#14 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Experience is fine, but make certain you are comparing apples to apples. I, too, thought that I was an experienced Bike rider when I rented the scooter in Cozumel. I had had a Motorcycle license for years (driving a motorcycle in Illinois required a separate license when I lived there), and had been riding motorcycles off and on from the time I was 18 - everything from a little Honda 50 to a Kawasaki 750. But Scooters are NOT the same as motorcycles - there is a much higher center of gravity, much less weight, much less stability. Simply because you are experienced on a motorcycle does NOT mean that you will know what to expect out of a scooter. And yes, the statistics mean that the odds are with you; if you rent a scooter AND you wear your helmet at all times, AND you stay on the main thoroughfares, AND you drive carefully, the odds are high that you won't get hurt. But getting hurt on a scooter accident is a low-probability high-cost event. You don't have the protective shell around you like you do in an auto, and, unlike in almost all car accidents, pretty much ANY scooter mishap means a collision between your body and the very hard, very unforgiving pavement. The pavement is going to win that contest every single time. I won't tell anyone not to rent the scooters; I'll just give my advice that it is riskier than I am willing to accept. Sure, maybe a mishap in a rental car is just as likely, as Hooked claims. BUT, and this is a very big BUT, most, almost all, mishaps in a car involve a LOT more protection for the occupants, a LOT lower probability that the car is going to flip over and throw its occupants onto the pavement, and a LOT lower probability of serious injury or death.

#15 bike1962

bike1962

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

I plan on taking it to the other side of the island and to stay away from the downtown area. (not that accidents can happen anywhere)  I too have had a m-cycle license since I was 16.  Currently riding a Honda Shadow 1100.  I agree about the stability and center of gravity on a scooter compared to a regular motorcycle, but a lot of the crashes involve careless drivers not paying attention, and or alcohol.  I refuse to ride in the rain, and if it rains, I simply pull over.  Thanks for all the replies/comments.

"I refuse to tiptoe trough life only to arrive safely @ death"

#16 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

I swear, if the island rented F16's people would rent those too.

I'm sending you the bill for getting the coffee out of my keyboard after I laughed it through my nose. 

It's the same thought pattern for scooters.  I have no experience, looks like fun, and what could happen?

Exactly! I spoke with a coworker who was injured riding a scooter in Bermuda about what in the world she was thinking since she doesn't ride at home and that's more or less what she said.

Scooters are NOT the same as motorcycles

Right now my barn in the US contains a Vespa, 2 Ducatis, and my son's cheap Korean motorcycle. Scooters aren't the same as motorcycles - they're MUCH easier to ride. When you speak of center of gravity you must be thinking of "low and slow" cruisers such as Harleys. The CG on my Ducati is MUCH higher. They're certainly somewhat different but my personal experience with years of regularly riding both is that scooters are far and away easier to handle.

a lot of the crashes involve careless drivers not paying attention, and or alcohol

Do you mean car drivers or scooter riders? Of course, that's true of both.

We own and ride scooters on the island, are very familiar with our local streets and conditions, know where disproportionate numbers of crashes occur, etc. My wife and son have nevertheless each crashed. Twice. My son was hit by a car driven by a tourist on Melgar.

My point is that locals (which I'm not claiming we are) often forbid their kids to ride if they have any other form of transport. I would never recommend renting a scooter to anyone, including my friends who are professional motorcycle racers or those who were practically born on a bike.

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

I refuse to ride in the rain, and if it rains, I simply pull over. 

""

Well that could be an issue.  Google weather in Coz anytime and it will probably show rain.  quick showers or whatever, but it happens alot.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#18 bike1962

bike1962

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Right.  Been there many times.  Thats why we pull over or wait it out @ a watering hole if it rains.  No where I need to be that I have to ride on wet pavement especially on vacation :)

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Your big concern is the pavement in centro on Melgar.  They VARNISH the pavement which makes it an ice skating rink.  

Anywhere you see "redish" pavements, with swallows imprinted into the pavement, beware...it is a slick as...

Anonymous

#20 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

My husband works on the F-16 and can hook you ip if any of you want to purse that idea......................

The other thing OP is watch out for the other drivers.  Especially on the east side.  There are some truly crappy inattentive clueless drivers and also drunken boat people sometimes......................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users