• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

This site provides value information in regards to Civil Protections, and resources

http://cozumel.gob.m...zumel/index.php

2014 Hurricane names, and locations of shelters:http://cozumel.gob.m...sample-category

If your also a poster on TA you might want to repost this information.  It is the tourists who would be most concerned about their well being during a weather event.

It appears I have some nemesis on that site, who would rather punish me, then provide safety information to tourist.  My post was deleted, and closed.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Having lived through both Emily and Wilma this is how it went down for the tourist.  The hotels on the waterfront were evacuated.  Tourist flocked to the airport, and ferry terminals, but the ferries, and planes were gone.

Having trip insurance was useless, no planes, no ferries.

Many tourists, and locals found shelter in the convention center.  Not comfortable, but safe.

This season, and based on the Civil protection information, lots more shelters are available, including maps to get there.

Be prepared, be smart and know what your options are, and hope that you never have to use them!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Having the topic closed on TA is simply disgraceful. Weather concerns are a constant topic there and this directly addresses some of those concerns.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

And buy your liquor early and in larger quantities....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

You need to figure a 3 weeks supply of food and drinks.

Chief is so right, stock up on the stuff that makes the pain go away!

Anonymous

#6 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

TA can be idiotic with what they allow to remain posted, while deleting a very relevant post like this.  It has almost become one mans blog.

#7 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the links by the way.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

I can share my insight into how things regarding weather events have gone on in the past (Mitch, EmIly, Wilma and Dean) from my experiences.

Cozumel does an excellent job in management, and preparations prior to a hurricane. There are more shelters (from my observation) then in previous years.

Preparations are made If there is a potential of a weather event. Shelters are stocked, hotels, ferries, and airlines are put on alert. As in the case of Mitch and Dean, all preparations were made, and the storms turned at the last possible moment, and all was well.

In the recent cases of Emily and Wilma, the oceanfront hotels were evacuated, and secured. The guest are told about the shelters, and grabbed blankets and pillows from the hotels. Most headed to the airport. They returned to the shelters when they could not secure a seat.

The airlines waved the change fees if you could secure seating.. Heading to Cancun prior to the ferries departing was/is an option, however, lots more people all trying to leave at the same time.

If a storm is imminent, the ferries are taken off the island, and the last plane leaves. Not all storms are major,or equal, and depending on the category, it really is a personal choice as to go or to stay.

Those who did stay pitched in to help get Cozumel back on it's feet. For Wilma, it was a huge task, but Cozumel received it's first ship in only 3 weeks post hurricane. That was some effort by all.

The island is well prepared for these types of events. Everyone was safe, perhaps not as comfortable as anyone expected, but safe and had food, and water provided.

The Convention Center next to Chedrui's has been completely renovated, and is almost ready to open.

If I needed to seek shelter, that would be my first choice. There are smaller hotels away from the beach area that is also good options.

The point of sharing this is not to cause fear, but only for your awareness, and what your options are.

Anonymous

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Thank Z.  I have no affection for TA, but my feeling are not relevant in that regard.

This information is critical, and people (esp, tourist) need to know it.

I am the only the messenger..  Guess they still shot the messenger.

Anonymous

#10 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

Yep and no problem.  There are one or two people there that like to sensor and dominate what is happening over there.  No viable reason to take your posts down, but TA will never respond as to why a post is removed.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

The more people are informed, they better they are able to cope with situations.

I saw the panic, the desperation of the tourist with Wilma.  If I said "Z" this is what the situation is, this is how you can deal with it, and this is where you can protect yourself, would that not be of value?

I can't wrap my mind around what anger, and hostility people have.

Maybe, they just don't like me, so they punish you.

Anonymous

#12 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

I thought it was of value, it was travel related (meeting TA's TOS) and much more so than much of the idiotic links that get posted on there. 

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

thanks Z.

Anonymous

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Now if this isn't the goofiest thing I've ever seen on a forum. Apparently TA has people who simply lie in wait to delete perfectly good posts, along with deletion of posts of folks who support them. Over 30 posts on the thread have now been reduced to 6!

As C2W recently explained to me, ANYONE can report a post on TA, and it's instantly deleted. All the other forums I've seen take a moderator or admin to delete posts.

#15 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

The really odd bit is that "removed" posts are usually just replaced with text that says they've been "removed" for unspecified (and unverifiable) violations of the TOS. I haven't previously seen posts just disappear. I think that takes the intervention of a moderator.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

Just a thought, the information about the shelters might be be worth including in the book that rentals homes/condo have for the season.  Most books have the names, and numbers of restaurants, things to do, who to call in case of emergencies, etc.

Anonymous

#17 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

MSLF posted the links into the traveler article area on TA so it wont go anywhere and will be easily accessable.

#18 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

We do not usually travel during hurricane season, but have lots of friends that do so will definitely pass the info on.  And if I ever win the lottery hello October trip!  Then i will use the info for me.

Thanks for posting it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users