• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Maroma man

Maroma man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Looking for a romantic restaurant for my 1 year anniversary.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.  :D

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Buccanos at night?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Agree with Buccano's, get reservations! Albino's before 7 pm, while they're busy earlier, we're usually the only table there at night. Gusto's. La Cocay. If you let La Cocay know the occasion, they will bring you a beautifully decorated molten lava cake for dessert.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Oh ya, Bucanno's!

One thing I always ask Anne (she does the bookings) to do is set up the adirondack chairs, facing the ocean and have our cocktails prior to setting down for dinner.

It just sets the mood, beautiful ocean, breeze, torches.

http://www.buccanos....os-at-night.htm

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

The prices seem good for the food & drinks.  Not sure why we haven't eaten there, but we plan to do it on our next visit.  The surf/turf burger intrigues me as does the coconut shrimp.  We can get live lobster here at many resturants so I don't "crave" it.  Will dress shorts, nice shirt & sandals work for the men's dress code?  I need to know as my friend & his wife are on the island now & leave Sunday.  I'd like to call him & let him know about the place.  Thanks!

David

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

Yes, no problem with dress code. It's dark enough that they lead you to your table by flashlight. They also provide bug spray. Reservations are strongly recommended.

#7 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've never eaten at Buccano's for Dinner, but I had a fairly disappointing lunch there one time. My own choices woud be La Cocay, Kinta or Kondesa, probably in that order. Other possibilities include Casa Mission - not as high end or intimate as any of the first 3, but the outdoor gardens provide great ambiance - and Pancho's Backyard, the garden courtyard is lovely. The Courtyard seating in Guido's is also nice, and the view from Prima (top of the El Cantil Condos) is great; I think the food and service at Prima is excellent, but a bit overpriced.

#8 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Thank you all for your input!  I just called him & emailed the link to this particular forum.  Thanks again!

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Ines, who owns Bucanno's is a very unique, and creative chef, and her dinner specials are truly outstanding (that's in addition to the reg menu).

Her desserts are to die for!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

You can't judge Buccano's at night based on one bad experience at lunch. It's a totally different ball game. Very romantic. And, please understand, you go there to dine, not to eat! You can't be in a rush to get your food and get out. It's not McDonald's. The food is exquisite and the service is exceptional. I have never had a bad meal there ... EVER. That includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#11 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Ines, who owns Bucanno's is a very unique, and creative chef, and her dinner specials are truly outstanding (that's in addition to the reg menu).

Her desserts are to die for!

Desserts are my wife's life blood!

#12 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

You can't judge Buccano's at night based on one bad experience at lunch. It's a totally different ball game. Very romantic. And, please understand, you go there to dine, not to eat! You can't be in a rush to get your food and get out. It's not McDonald's. The food is exquisite and the service is exceptional. I have never had a bad meal there ... EVER. That includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.

My friend just called me and told me they're going to try to book dinner tomorrow night.  Their (2) daughters are grown & can fend for themselves at the El Cozumeleno.  They want "romantic", just them.  Any comments on your favorites on the menu?  Desserts is a given, they look delicious.

#13 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

Kandy, you don't know me, and it's pretty presumptuous for you to assume that I was disappointed because I didn't get a McDonalds experience. I know good quality food, and I know fine dining experiences - I've eaten in 4 and 5 Star Restaurants everywhere from Paris, Munich, Salzburg, New York, Chicago, Dallas and San Francisco. My bad experience at Bucanno's was a result of poor service (I waited over 30 minutes after being seated before I even got a drink) and poor food. I had the Coconut crusted Shrimp - they were overcooked to the point of being rubbery, the crust was much too thick and doughy, with little coconut flavor, and the sauce they served with it was just bad. And it cost me $8 each way in cab fare to get there and back. I'll be damned if I'll blow $16 in cab fare for an overpriced mediocre meal. Maybe it was an isolated occurrence, but I've never had a bad meal at any of La Cocay, Kinta or Kondesa, so I'm not going to spend the cabfare to give Bucanno's another chance.

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

I must say, we've never been impressed with most of the food at Buccanos at night. Way too frou-frou and pricey. But holy cow, the atmosphere is fantastic! And we love Anne, who greets you with her flashlight and bug spray!

The lobster mac and cheese is worth writing home about. We split it between 4 of us for lunch, and wanted more.

#15 Maroma man

Maroma man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Wow! A lot of good ideas. I guess I should let you know that we would like a place that has air conditioning. We want to get dressed up.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

You may be the only ones dressed up...Watch heels on the sidewalks.

I would suggest Pepe's then.  It has AC, and is on the waterfront.http://www.pepescozumel.com/eng/

La Cocay-inside dining.  I just find it noisy inside.

You might see what it's like in the evenings, it really is comfortable once the sun goes down.

Anonymous

#17 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

I used to love Pepe's - it was my go to place for beef on Cozumel. Great Prime Rib and a decent salad bar, and one of the few places I could sit and have a B&B after dinner with my coffee and dessert. But the quality seemed to go down a few years ago - I learned that the owner had retired and his son took over. The Food and service suffered and I quit going. Is it back to what it used to be?

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

if you haven't been there in some time, you might just be missing something.

The restaurant has been completely remodeled,

Pepe's son took the business over quite a while ago.

Anonymous

#19 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Pancho's Backyard is another option.

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

to be fair to all restaurants, car rentals, hotels, tours...if you haven't done something in the past 6 month I don't understand why something that may have happened years ago is helpful to anyone.

I have eaten at all the "named" restaurants.  Some I liked, some I thought were over sold as being "great", some were just so, so.  But, I try to keep it current.  I also, like to try something again, just incase I, or "they" had an off night.

It's like holding a grudge years after the event.  Everybody else has moved on.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users