#21 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Kandy, you don't know me, and it's pretty presumptuous for you to assume that I was disappointed because I didn't get a McDonalds experience. I know good quality food, and I know fine dining experiences - I've eaten in 4 and 5 Star Restaurants everywhere from Paris, Munich, Salzburg, New York, Chicago, Dallas and San Francisco. My bad experience at Bucanno's was a result of poor service (I waited over 30 minutes after being seated before I even got a drink) and poor food. I had the Coconut crusted Shrimp - they were overcooked to the point of being rubbery, the crust was much too thick and doughy, with little coconut flavor, and the sauce they served with it was just bad. And it cost me $8 each way in cab fare to get there and back. I'll be damned if I'll blow $16 in cab fare for an overpriced mediocre meal. Maybe it was an isolated occurrence, but I've never had a bad meal at any of La Cocay, Kinta or Kondesa, so I'm not going to spend the cabfare to give Bucanno's another chance.

Dan, I'm sorry you took that personally. My comment was not directed toward you at all. It was a general comment about what to expect at night. I remember well your post about your experience. 

I agree with a previous post that we have all probably had bad experiences at all of the named restaurants. Personally, I've had them at all 3 restaurants you named. One I won't return to because of the number of bad experiences, but the other two I gave second chances and will happily return. Every restaurant has a bad day/night now and then. That's why I give them up to 3 chances before I cross them off my list.

I understand that the cab fare from the other end of the island is steep. Maybe one day you'll be closer and can give Buccano's a second chance. I'd even meet you there for lunch! I'm always up for Buccano's and would buy your lunch if you weren't pleased ;)

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#22 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Wow! A lot of good ideas. I guess I should let you know that we would like a place that has air conditioning. We want to get dressed up.

You won't find A/C at Buccano's, but there are some other good alternatives that have been suggested. If you request a table under the palapa at Buccano's that is under a fan, though, it really is quite comfortable and still very romantic.

My favorite dishes: almost any special that is offered, lobster mac 'n cheese (especially when it's the special made with roquefort!), lobster ravioli, arrachera steak, tempura lobster. And you MUST try the calamari - the best ever, and you can cut it with a fork. The appetizers and desserts are also to die for.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#23 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Went to Pepe's on May.  No more of my favorite beef spaghetti, and prices way up across the board.  hamburger was good and service excellent.

#24 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

I'm jumping in right in the nick of too late for Maroma Man, but thought I would relay our experience from last February at Buccanos. My wife and I both thought the blackened fish panuchos were the highlight. We've made reservation to return this year. The menu shows a lot of imagination and the presentation was very impressive. One of our discoveries on our first stay on the island last was that many of the restaurants on the waterfront tended to offer much of the same fare...tacos, nachos, quesadillas and burgers. I'm sure the menus are greatly influenced by the cruise ship traffic. It was harder to find restaurants offering items such as we found at Buccanos and Kondessa. We have yet to determine where this years dining experiences will be. We are making a list of some restaurants listed on this forum.   

#25 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

Last may Pepe's had really raised prices and gotten rid of my faves.  Service and ambiance great.

Bucc at night:  We always see dressed up and casual both there.  We have been twice.  the 1st time I had fried prawns or something and way too much fried stuff on it and you couldn't taste the prawns.  Last May the Mahi was fabulous.  It is the only place we are willing to make a reservation for as the setting is just fabulous.  They can be a little pushy about the specials, but they just want you to taste their best I guess.  We also love it during the day.  No AC, but never needed it in May.

#26 mazboy

mazboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:I like traveling but going home too.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

i have a recommendation.   the coral princess hotel.   new chef and the place is not busy and I am sure that patrick the french chef would be more than will to help you prepare for a romantic evening.   it is right on the ocean and quiet.

happy annivery.

ed

#27 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:57 AM

I have heard the new chief is great.  It is a beautiful location.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#28 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

Good to know.  We used to go there, but then had horrible service and food they year before last and stopped.  Will put it back into the rotation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users