• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

Cozumel is effectively using breathalyzer to identify drunk driving.

6 units of the Public Safety police, and 6 units of the motor patrol are out and about on the island spot checking drivers for driving under the influence.

If you are found to be guilty of "1st level" drunk driving, it means a night in jail.  Beyond "1st level" (I believe there are a total of 3 levels) you can receive jail time, fines, and even loss of your vehicle.

In addition,  tourist need to be aware, if you have an accident under the influence, your insurance is revoked.

Safe driving.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Cue cruise passenger and other tourist outrage at Corrupt Messican P'lice that just don't want nobody to have no fun in 3... 2... 1...

It's about time!

#3 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

I'll bitch. I think "spot checking" is just as much BS as their seatbelt checkpoints were years ago. Three 4.5% Sols and I'll blow .08. That dosen't make me impaired but it would probably put me in their level 1. I guess we will stick with Isla Mujeres or the penisula in the future. My driving days in Cozumel  are over. Maybe they can bring all those beach bars to  the west side so we can walk to them. it's stupid cr*p like that that will start making the rounds on all boards and make the east side bars obsolete. A check point just west of the Reggae Bar and another just west of Mezcallitos would be perfect.

It's those changes in latitudes!

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

if your plan on driving drunk then perhaps a golf cart is better for everyone.

But be aware, even Isla Mujeres has the same policy. 

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

Oh I know. But driving drunk and being .08 is two different things. I've been stopped by the Feds and the Policia after being on the east side and never had a problem. Anyone under 175 pounds that has 3 beers or two glasses of wine or 2 margaritas qualifies for their level one. Thats BS and that will hurt Cozumel. Don't believe it? I'll be first in saying I'm changing my plans based on this change alone.

#6 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

I guess all of Canada is off your list too....we have a warn range here at 0.05 to 0.08. We don't even have the luxury of drinking two beers and driving a car without consequences.

Consequences for Driving with a 0.05 to 0.08 "Warn Range" Blood Alcohol Concentration
First Time
3-day licence suspension
$150 Administrative Monetary Penalty

Second Time (within 5 years)
7-day licence suspension
Mandatory alcohol education program

Third Time (within 5 years)
30-day licence suspension
Mandatory alcohol treatment program
Six-month ignition interlock licence condition

Subsequent infractions (within 5 years)
30-day licence suspension
Mandatory alcohol treatment program
Six-month ignition interlock licence condition
Mandatory medical evaluation
These roadside licence suspensions cannot be appealed. Suspensions will be recorded on the driver’s record. For up to five years, these roadside suspensions will be considered when determining consequences for subsequent infractions.

#7 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

No. I've got a pretty big list but Canada didn't even get a stand-by spot. No offense, I just don't like cold. I've heard you guys have some pretty silly gun laws too as Mexico does.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Oh I know. But driving drunk and being .08 is two different things. I've been stopped by the Feds and the Policia after being on the east side and never had a problem. Anyone under 175 pounds that has 3 beers or two glasses of wine or 2 margaritas qualifies for their level one. Thats BS and that will hurt Cozumel. Don't believe it? I'll be first in saying I'm changing my plans based on this change alone.

Honestly, I guess I'm glad you'll change your plans.

Sure, being outright drunk and being impaired are not the same thing. The whole point is not to wait until drivers are drunk (which insanely, stupidly dangerous) but to discourage people from getting behind the wheel when their driving is impaired (which is merely very dangerous).

There's ample evidence of impairment in driving ability at a BAC of 0.08. The whole reason we use BAC instead of number of drinks vs. body size is that number of drinks doesn't matter directly correlate with impairment but BAC does.

I strongly prefer not to be on the roads with people who have BAC's in the impaired range irrespective of how many or how few drinks it took them to get there.

#9 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Yeah...pretty silly gun laws. The rate for murders per capita is 3x higher in the USA than in Canada...... Yep it's cold in the winter, that's why we spend our winters in Cozumel where I can walk the streets and not worry about getting shot.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Wow.  Down to a .05 in Canada? That is interesting.

Don't kid yourself about guns in Coz.  They have had their share of gun homicides. Certainly not Detroit levels or particularly bad, but they happen, just like any city of similar size.  Coz cops pick up casings in the street. 

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

Oh and the firearm death rate is higher in Mexico than the US too.  So that is working well.

It is much lower in Canada, but then Canadians always seem so polite.  I have taken thumbs screws to our dive buddy from the Great White North just to get an opinion outta him.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

I have taken thumbs screws to our dive buddy from the Great White North just to get an opinion outta him.

Are they issuing thumb screws or do you have to supply your own?

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Are they issuing thumb screws or do you have to supply your own?

They issue, but I upgraded to ones that hurt more....

Surprisingly, he was crying pure maple syrup before he gave in and gave his opinion.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

Nice. Do they come with a little tactical holster and everything?

We have to squeeze trees to get syrup around here. Thumbs don't work.

#15 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Only in America will you find the attitude that guns and drinking and driving are not just constitutionally protected, but even Biblical commandment. Clearly it is America which is out of step with the vast majority of the civilized world and even a number of lesser countries.

The Bible (KJV 1611): " Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears" and Jesus turning water to wine. Only in the U.S. will you find this twisted to mean the Constitutional "Founding Father's" intent with regard to a citizen's militia to apply to citizen possession of high capacity assault rifles and concealed handguns (both I personally owned previously and which if ever I had cause to live in the lower 48, I would probably own again)

Should the law side with proactive protection of the public that would criminalize someone from getting hammered on alcohol and then blasting away if no one was injured, no property was damaged and uncompensated? What if someone was afraid when they saw someone in proximity wearing a "hoodie". (only in Florida?)

Drinking and driving should not go together anymore than good ole boys huntin' with a case of beer and a case of shotgun shells and not returning home until both are spent. "I know my limits is like I can always hit the side of a barn no matter how drunk I am. Well if I was only a little impaired, I know when I can drive and when I should not...well maybe without an impairment, your reflexes would have been sharp enough to avoid an accident that the cause was not their own creation. Responsible people would not get behind a loaded gun, not behind a vehicle wheel when there is any impairment. Anyone who thinks a blood alcohol level below a .08 does not affect coordination, reaction times etc. is contrary to scientific testing.

Whether it be alcohol, prescription drugs or other mood management substances, the roadways are shared by children, grandmothers, small animal pets not to mention moose and bison all that deserve better than dodging impaired drivers. Combinations of chasing a few Lortabs with a handful of beers are playing a lottery of facing an ugly one day of reckoning. Would you want a young daughter walking along the roadway filled with drivers that "knew their limits". Based on medical science, the laws of a vast majority of countries say that a level of .05 is too great an impairment. Sweden has a completely different culture of drinking and has long had a low limit of .02. Some countries like Russia (isn't half the country drunk on vodka or homemade hooch) doesn't permit anything above 0.00. Providers of spirits, partakers of drink plan accordingly and simply don't drink when they are planning to drive and never drive when they drink.

When tragedy touches close to your life, it can certainly shape your attitude and behavior. When I was young and like so many others, "young and  bulletproof", I was a designated driver back before that term was coined. I was "chauffer" to a group of popular party girls who loved to bar hop. They felt liberated, free of concern of ending the evening wrapped around a tree or smashed against a brick wall. Bar tenders loved me and provided all the food and any beverages I desired and thanked me for my consideration. I'd remind them that I was motivated not just for their benefit, but also for all the people they shared the road with. The casual attitude and permissiveness of drunk driving has touched my life a number of times. When still in elementary school, two brothers I knew had stopped to change a flat tire for a lady. They were sideswiped and killed by a woman with a long string of DUI arrests, she had even killed someone previously. She lost her license that time, but continued to drive drunk until she finally killed herself and only one other person (her third incident, fourth casualty). Soon after I graduated, my future plans changed when my best friend and business partner died in a head on crash when a repeat offender roared up a Interstate ramp the wrong way, speeding at night with her lights off. She too had killed previously with her weapon of choice, a loaded driver behind the wheel.

If Cozumel should lose a few tourists, if they should choose to not vacation anywhere in Mexico, or Canada nor any of the countries of the European Union, Thank you Jesus! We don't need any drunken, impaired or know my limit drivers and I suggest that they vacation closer to home, but it would be even better if they chose to vacation in their homes if they choose to drink. I am all for civil liberties and the freedoms to do as you wish, but once it becomes a threat and starts to impose on other people's freedom, then I draw the line there. We all deserve freedom from impaired drivers whether the impairment is from substances, cell phones or anger management problems.

The permissiveness of tourist alcohol consumption in Cozumel has affected the population and the island has long boasted the highest rate of alcoholism in Mexico. The tragic effects are seen in destroyed families.  Cozumel boasts some of the highest rates of child neglect and child abuse in the country too. Substance abuse of which alcohol is tops has long had very ugly consequences to Cozumel society. The ugly side of island life that is so often ignored. American culture that dominates and culturally corrupts in so many ways presents such wonderful role models for the youth to aspire to adopt, gee, Americans get sheet faced on vacation, act stupid the least of which are the balloon hats. It is plain embarrassing, it is disgraceful. I'd applaud a zero tolerance or very limited tolerance, I think a .05 to .08 is way too high. That should be applied to everyone, locals and tourists alike. Maybe some "ruined vacations" from people getting a little time out might prevent some ruined vacations of much greater magnitude. Nothing ruins a vacation quite like going home in a body bag.  

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

Wow.  Drinking and shooting?    Wow.   I think you could have left that at 'bad idea.'  Who said those were two great things that go great together? 

20110903reeseschomp500.jpg

And if we are doing the Bible thing, (Really?) check out Luke, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."  I'm a KJV man too, Charles.  ;)

Of course I previously didn't make an argument for or against guns, I just said it was naive to think there is not gun violence occurring in Cozumel. 

And in Alaska, I thought that the State issued you a gun when you lived there for bears and such?  Maybe I read that wrong.... :P

alaska-bears21.jpg

That Canada 'warn' range is interesting.  The police just take away your license for a period of time.  No hearing, no appeal, just an instant suspension.  I know many states that have the 'limit' set at .08 also allow charging down to a .05, it is just that the .08 'proves' the offense and the .05 to .08 requires additional facts.  I just never heard of the 'sort of wrong, but not that wrong' approach. 

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

opinions I expected.

#18 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

Canada treats driving impaired as a felony and excludes Americans from crossing their border. Alaska is serious about DUI. First offense at .08 brings a minimum 72 hours in jail, a $1500 dollar fine and suspended license for three months. A second offense doubles those numbers. What really costs are the insurance rates which will easily cost $10,000 extra over the following three years. I wouldn't want to lose my driving privilege any more than lose my allowed entry into Canada. Dozens of people I know are excluded from Canada which seriously restricts their movement and recreation

Sorry DONO if this reality causes you to change your vacation plans, but these opinions are held by the vast majority of the world. I say it is about time people took responsibility for their action. If they choose to drink, decide not to drive period. If people can't enjoy a meal or a vacation without excessive alcohol consumption, public safety trumps personal freedom. Maybe some people are more practiced at driving and maybe they are less impaired than others. I wouldn't want to test my safety by hoping my airline pilot or oncoming drivers know their limit and ability.

#19 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

"If people can't enjoy a meal or a vacation without excessive alcohol consumption"

Anything over 3 beers is excessive? Two glasses of wine with dinner?  I'd really like to see them set up check points and test everybody. To your joy Cozumel would revert back to the sleepy fishing village it once was. "Most" people like to let loose a little on vacation. You know that as well as I do. I've seen the drunk cruisers fill the bars and get hammered. Should they be driving? Absolutley not. Should I have to worry about having a few beers and lunch? Cozumel has way bigger fights to pick. Thats my opinion, you have yours.

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Alaska is mostly serious, but I don't think that far out of line with alot of states these days.  The fine and the DL suspension are actually not that severe, anymore at least.

Canada is fascinating.  They apparently keep lists of some sort and even in cases where a defendant was found not guilty in the US and had the case expunged so that no record exists at all in the state or PD files, they STILL bar them until they prove it.  I have to wonder where they get their lists.  Thanks for the mention Charles, I found that interesting.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users