• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Dono, why would you expect anything less regardless of where you were?

You don't always have to be behind the wheels to cause mayhem.  Just think about bar fights, or drunks who lose self control in public.

Perhaps, Coz isn't for you, and that's okay.  It's not for everybody.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#22 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Dono makes a good point though.

We always take taxi's at night because we do like to have more than we would if driving in the evening.

However, one of our favorite things is to stop at Corona and snorkel and have 1 beer.  Then drive over to Rasta and have 1 beer.  Then we go somewhere for a long leisurely lunch with 1 or 2 margaritas.  Then switch over to water for the rest of the day.  My husband (200 lbs) is not intoxicated, but I wonder what he would ring up as?  I would hate not to be able to do that kind of day.  This occurs over a time period of 10:30 to 2:30 ish.

I sure see plenty of local ex pats at Coconuts and Woodys having a couple drinks with a meal.  Do they all take taxi's?.  How about all the people at Buccano's at night?

I am all for stopping drunk driving, but without any kind of reasonable options, the random stopping of vehicles seems a little over the top...................................... of course, if there are indicators then go for it.

Maybe all the bars and restaurants could stock breathalyzers ;)

#23 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

"Maybe all the bars and restaurants could stock breathalyzers" not a bad idea!

I get what your saying, and we hit Rasta on the weekend, and have a few drinks as well.

Tourist are going to get a pass (is my guess) unless they are so drunk the police have to do something. 

​One never thinks they are out of control, until they are.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#24 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

"Perhaps, Coz isn't for you, and that's okay.  It's not for everybody"

Right. hahaahahahahahahahahahahhahahah

It's those changes in latitudes!

#25 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Dono, enjoy your travels,wherever they may be.

Anonymous

#26 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

C'mon Paula. Four more posts and you'll be at 5K ! We do always enjoy Cozumel. It's crazy how much it feels like home every time we step off the plane. I just don't like check points......here, there or anywhere.

#27 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Dono, first I never noticed the post count, it is not relevant...content is.

Dono I wish you and your wife a safe holiday.

Anonymous

#28 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

"I just don't like check points......here, there or anywhere."

FWIW, I too have a problem w/check points.  They're illegal in TX.  The police have to have "just cause" to pull you over and give you a test, Constitutional "unreasonable search & seizure, etc".  That being said, all they have to do is say you changed lanes w/o using blinker.  And, sadly, TX has a high number of alcohol related deaths on the highways.  I was lucky when I was younger (Superman) & dumb.  Never had a wreck or DUI, but that's simply the Grace of God, not my own stupid decisions!  I don't drink & drive anymore.  My wife's med's means I always have a dedicated driver.  When we go around the island I drive to the reggae bar and she takes over from there.  If the check points are legal in Cozumel, so be it.  It ain't TX.  Just my opinion.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#29 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

We got stopped just west of the Reggae Bar at a federalde check point. They wanted to look in the "trunk" of my rental VW but none of the keys fit. I finally handed them to one of them and they tried a while without success also. They checked my ice chest, asked if we'd been drinking; I told them yes and there were no more questions. They held us for a few minutes while they checked out my wifes bikini top under close scruinity with a  flashlight and turned us loose.  Got stopped many times at the old seatbelt check point and was never asked if I'd been drinking (once even had open beers). All they cared about was seatbelts. Like you marlinfishing; I did plenty of stupid cr*p in my younger days. Getting hammered and drving is something I stay away from these days. I don't mind the laws, just dont like check points. But then again....Cozumel ain't Oklahoma either. Cheers!

Dono

#30 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hey maybe this is the AI's just trying to drum up business.

#31 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Well, I do not approve of drunk driving in any form.  However, having a few drinks hopefully wouldn't get you to high on the breathalyzer meter.  Hopefully.....................

In May our taxi to dinner was behind a horribly drunken local on Sunday night.  I was really hoping he would get caught because he was such a danger to pedestrians and his family in the car.  Luckily he was going very slow, but he was all over the road.  back and forth.

That said we just booked 13 nights for may 2015.  Hoping for better luck with the air show weather this time.

Going to PM in November for a short trip.  Renting bikes.  However, if I am buzzed i will walk that sucker :)

#32 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

And with regard to the suspension at 0.05 with no trial, appeal, etc., in Ontario, it also applies if you are caught doing more than 50 km/h over the limit.  Roadside confiscation of your vehicle for 7 days and suspension of your license for 7 days. If convicted, the penalty grows to up to a $10,000 fine, 6 demerit points, 6 months in jail and 2 year license suspension (first conviction). Second conviction gets you a 10 year license suspension.

#33 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

That will teach 'em!

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#34 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

I have solved the problem, at least on the east side.  We take the old road which is now for bicycles even though they never use it and put the bikes on the new road where they will be safe.  Take the old road and make it a driving while impaired road.  That way all the drunks can crash into each other and won't bother anyone else.  Seriously the problem I have is how accurate is the equipment and how ethical are the police that are using them.  Not knocking all of them as some are very hard working and honest.  If I stop at Paradise and have a beer (Coke was $4 when we were there in Feb so might as well drink beer)  and then have lunch along the way finishing up a Mezcalitos with another beer I should be safe. 

#35 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

I really don't know anyone that stops at a bar or goes out to dinner that has just one drink. Usually the people I go out with when the check comes the bar bill is higher than the food bill. Especially in Mexico.

#36 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

Thank you Steve. Exactly what I'm trying to get across. It's easy to say "one or two" but not easy to put into practice. Even miss goody two shoes who has two glasses of wine thinks she's immune to intoxication.

Dono

#37 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

On the lighter side:

"If underage teens are stopped for drunk driving then we think that their parents get to do the time in jail for them."

http://caribesunset.com/blog.html

Proper attribution: Caribesunset.com  Copyright: 2014 PBGC

I'm pretty sure if my Dad, the Protestant preacher, had had to serve time for my stupidity when I was young you would've never heard of me on this site.  Or any other site for that matter.  ;)

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#38 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users