Photo

Temperatures In Coz - Daytime Versus Nightime?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

My wife and I have been thinking about moving to Coz - decided we would spend a week in November to see what Coz has to offer and if the "lifestyle change" would be traumatic or not. 

The first question that came up after reading about the cost of electicity and use of the A/C was - What are the temperatures during the summer months - Daytime versus Nighttime?  

How about temperatures during the winter months - Daytime versus Nighttime? Does it get cold enough to need "Heat"??

What is the current Killowatt per Hour rate in Coz.

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

You will never need to use heat here ever.  Maybe a light jacket during a heavy winter norte would feel good and I wear flannel nightgowns mornings in the winter.

Summer it is hot and humid.  You can get by with lots of fans and cold showers if you find a house that doesn't have the main living area windows facing south.  But it will take some getting used to. And that might possibly be an understatement

Anyone who can afford it at least runs their AC in the hot months at night when they're sleeping.  This is from around April 1 through August for sure.  November you will find far cooler weather than we are experiencing right now.  If you want to get a taste of year round climate here, November isn't your month.  The first norte usually rolls in towards the start of November bringing the end of hurricane season and far more seasonable temperatures.  

In short, if you are only here in November, you're not going to get the Full Monty experience of living here at all. And you might be in for a big surprise if you decide to settle here based on such limited data. 

#3 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

I just looked up the current temp and humidity of cozumel - says its 29 c and 77% humidity.  Here in south Central Oklahoma its 32 c and humidity is 41%.  So yeah, the humidity is almost double what it is here and the temp is slightly lower - . 

Now here is a question that Ive been pondering:  I just looked at our current electricity consumption for last month and it was 1100 killowatt hours. How does that compare to medium usage in Coz?  Im guessing we would fall into the status of Too Mucho Uso~!

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

In the summers here we run the AC in our bedroom at night in one of our houses.  Nothing much else being used -- washing machine, a few fans, a few lights.  Bill with a mini split runs between $6000 and $9000 MXN for a two month period.  So $200-$400/month approximately in US dollars to chill a large pretty well sealed bedroom from 10 PM to 7 AM in the summer.

#5 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

why could you not bring you own power generator and use it to power your A/C unit with?  Most generators will run for 7 hours or so on 1 to no more than 2 gallons of gasoline and most generators over 6500 watts will have 120 volt as well as 220 volt receptacles. Which also brings to mind another question - How much is a "gallon" of gasoline - and is it sold by the "litre" or by the "gallon" ?

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

they are very VERY loud

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Generators are not only loud, but they pollute. Running one all night is likely to make the neighbors unhappy. Doing so every night is practically sure to cause serious issues with the neighbors. I live in a part of New Hampshire that suffers frequent power outages and can attest to the fact that being around someone else's running generator is miserable.

The only countries that don't use metric measurements are the US, Libya, and Myanmar (formerly Burma). That means Mexico (and nearly every other country on earth) doesn't use English measurements such as gallons, pounds, miles, etc. You will run into "pulgadas", which are essentially the same as inches, when it comes to measuring TV's and a few other things.

Gasoline is sold by the liter in Mexico. A liter of Magna (regular unleaded) at Pemex (the only brand of fuel station) is about MXN$12.86 in July 2014. That's about USD$3.75 per gallon.

#8 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

A generator under load will burn at least a gallon of gas per hour. That's way to expensive. My girlfriend would have me running it 24 hours a day and at around $100 per day I would go broke.

#9 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Funny thing - I havent run a generator in a very long time so I forgot about the noise level and the exhaust fumes.  Bad Idea - unless the neighbors agreed to let me use it in the daytime hours - If I agreed to share the electricity with them - thats a thought~ naw - probably best to leave the generator in oklahoma.

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Our generator, last used for 10 days after Wilma, burned nothing like a gallon of gas an hour.  We ran it all night to get AC and a light or two in the bedroom and chill down the fridge a bit.  We had a generator tank full and 2 5 gallon spout bottles and we didn't run out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users