Bbq Pork Ribs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Preface: I've thrown away a LOT of ribs I tried to grill as they tasted like shoe leather when I was done until I found this way to do it.

BBQ PORK RIBS

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 LBS. RACK OF PORK RIBS (I PREFER ST. LOUIS STYLE CUT)

(1) 16 OZ. BOTTLE OF BBQ SAUCE (OR YOUR OWN CREATION)

(1) 12 OZ. CAN/BOTTLE OF COKE/PEPSI/DR. PEPPER

CANOLA OIL (SPRAY OR BRUSH ON)

SCORE THE BONE SIDE OF THE RIBS WITH “X” MARKS ON THE MEMBRANE W/THE TIP OF A SHARP KNIFE

MARINATE THE RIBS W/THE SODA (PEPSI, COKE, DR. PEPPER) FOR AT LEAST (4) HOURS (OR OVERNIGHT)

HEAT THE GRILL TO HIGH (I HAVE GAS, BUT CHARCOAL IS GOOD TOO)

SEASON BOTH SIDES OF THE RIBS LIBERALLY WITH SEA SALT & PEPPER (OR YOUR FAVORITE RUB)

APPLY CANOLA OIL TO BOTH SIDES OF THE RIBS

PLACE ON THE HOT GRILL AND CHAR EACH SIDE (PROBABLY 10 MINUTES EACH SIDE).  KEEP WATER BOTTLE SPRAYER CLOSE TO CALM DOWN THE FLAREUPS

HEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREES

REMOVE RIBS FROM GRILL AND LET STAND TILL COOL ENOUGH TO HANDLE

SLICE EACH RIB OFF OF THE RACK AND PLACE INTO A PIREX OR DISPOSABLE ALUMINUM FOIL COOKING DISH

POUR ENTIRE CONTENTS OF BBQ SAUCE OVER RIBS, COVER THE TOP TIGHTLY W/FOIL, PLACE ON THE MIDDLE RACK OF THE OVEN & COOK FOR  1 ½ HRS

ALTERNATELY, THE RIBS CAN BE COOKED AT 250 DEGREES FOR 5-6 HRS.  THEY WILL BE  MORE TENDER AND FALL OFF THE BONES.  I PREFER THE FAST COOK METHOD AS IT CARMELIZES THE SUGAR IN THE BBQ SAUCE AND THE SODA MARINADE MAKES THE RIBS TENDER ENOUGH FOR MY TASTE.

Edited by marlinfishing, 14 July 2014 - 02:25 PM.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

You know there's no such thing as "sealing in the juices", right? Searing tastes great, so there's every reason to do it, but doing it won't keep a single drop of moisture inside.

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

Food Network?  http://www.foodnetwo...sear-98517.html

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

I'm from Memphis where pork BBQ is higher royalty than Elvis and every family has its secret recipe for the best in town.

Pre-cooking marinade of your choice, yes. Low heat for many hours, yes. No cuts on the meat -- those release moisture. No sear -- long cooking makes the brown, which is hard but not dry.. Frequent basting with the marinade during cooking -- every 20 min. or so. For oven, elevate the ribs on a rack in the pan so the fat drips away. Adding liquid smoke to the marinade may add flavor but not sold down here. BBQ sauce is for finishing -- last hour or less -- and for eating. 

#5 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

You know there's no such thing as "sealing in the juices", right? Searing tastes great, so there's every reason to do it, but doing it won't keep a single drop of moisture inside.

Thank you gentlemen!  I, and my post, stand corrected.

David

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

hehe.   The wife make me watch Alton.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#7 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

hehe.   The wife make me watch Alton.

He annoys me more than my ex-wife.  Almost...

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:01 AM

He annoys me more than my ex-wife.  Almost...

I have to admit, I like him better than most.  He makes it more like science.  I get annoyed when she has the Hampton lady or the Ranch girl on.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

I have to admit, I like him better than most.  He makes it more like science.  I get annoyed when she has the Hampton lady or the Ranch girl on.

haha...  I should have been more specific.  My wife knows if either of them come on to change the channel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users