Photo

Where To Buy Appliances And Furniture In Coz?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Ive seen it mentioned several times about Long Term Rental and then the subject of "Unfurnished" comes up meaning "No stove, refrigerator, hot water heater, "Gas Tank" - is that for propane or no??, Microwave, bedroom furniture, living room furniture - - then the next question that comes to mind is : Is there a store(s) who sell "used" appliances and furniture and how expensive are they compared to new prices - - which brings up another question - - who sells new furniture and appliances and how do they compare with US prices? Im trying to evaluate the cost of moving there for a few months while still paying the mortgage on our home and keeping the utilities turned on ( and car payments and car insurance) - and then living in Coz for a few months on the remainder of our fixed income of approx 2100.00 usd per month or would that even be possible???

Also, I read that there is a mexican "guide" by the name of Marcos - how do I contact him?  What services does he provide? 

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

For monthly rentals, you would only want to place that is furnished, and most are. 

There are places that do sell refurbished appliances, and furniture, but I would check first on the local chat rooms.  Just post what you're looking for, and somebody will have it.

Here's one you can check out:https://www.facebook...79839188796563/

Everything here is propane.  You will hear the music from the truck and run out and they will swap tanks for you.  Or if you have a tank on your roof, you call them to come fill it.

As for new furniture, you can go "rustio" which is what you will typically find in the "rustio furniture" stores here.

You can go better, and nicer by purchasing from Luh at Magic of Design:http://www.themagicofdesign.com/

Here's something to think about as to your budget in US dollars

Apartment or house for $500 dollars a month

Electric (pay every 2 months, and lets say you like AC) $150 a month

Grocery shopping per week $80.00 usd

Water:  $5.00

Propane:$25.00 (that's a guess, we buy by the tank, not cylinder)

Cable/phone and internet $80.00

Dinner out once a week $60.00

Taxi's average $6.00 per fare x4=$24.00

Maid service per week:$25.00 (that might be a little high)

Give or take about $949.00 per month. if you use these HYPOTHETICAL numbers.  (My grocery bill today was $215 usd's)

Plan on your expenses being higher if you go out in the evening for sunset, doing tours, going to the east side, and it does not include car rentals (low end $30 dollars a day).

As for Marcos, he moves furniture.  You would call him when you knew exactly what you wanted moved, how many sq. feet and he would calculate the cost based on that, plus distance, and date of the move.    I, and a number of folks have had excellent service, but not all have had those results.  I can tell you that the costs run between $1,500-$2,500 per thousand lbs.  It has been a while since I had my furniture shipped down and it was $7,000 dollars.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

I've never even heard of hypothalamic numbers before, and I'm a CNS pharmacologist!

#4 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Like.

#5 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hypothalamic numbers ~ now, Ive not heard those two words together - ever ~ ~ ~ and here I sit - with confusion and wonder dancing in my head~and a light comes on - - oh wait, my wife just turned on the lamp beside the computer . 

What about the cost of Medical Insurance ?  Here in Oklahoma, the wife and I are covered by the Choctaw Indian nations as well as the VA takes care of me since im 100% VA disabled - but I wont be near a VA hospital nor an Indian clinic - so some type of health insurance will be necessary - - - any info on that subject would certainly be appreciated;  In fact, all the info you can give me would be absolutely wonderful.

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

jajajaja....how about HYPOTHETICAL.  

Hypothalamic dysfunction is a problem with part of the brain called the hypothalamus

One expense I didn't add was if your rental had a pool, and you are paying for it, add between $120-$140 per month to your expense line.

Also, if you are coming on a tourist visa for 180 days, you're going to need to include that in your calculations.  Your now getting close to topping your budget.

Update in regards to your water bill.  The little bit of research I did this morning says it runs between 80-120 paso's.  Still cheap.

Some days you laugh, other days you can't figure it out.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 Cancuncory

Cancuncory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'm managing a kitchen and bath design store for the Cancun/PDC area that carries Masco Cabinetry (KraftMaid/Arbor Creek/Merillat) all imported from the United States. KraftMaid can provide you with furniture for any room of the house. As far as appliances goes, you can buy Frigidaire, Delta Faucets, and basically any product under Liberty Hardware. There will be a store in Cozumel opening soon (September) on Avenida 11 entre Avenida Rafael E. Melgar, y 5 Avenida en Plaza V. If you want new furniture I can PM you the info for the store owner over there on the island so he can contact you once it is up and running.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Cory, I really hope you're going to carry some great cabinet hardware.  I like unique hardware, not the stainless steel stuff.

I have been searching online for new hardware, and either I can't find what I want, or I find it, and it's WAY over the top expensive.

Whatever I find, I need to have the two hole screws handle,  orientation of the design be right, and 18 of them!

Anonymous

#9 Cancuncory

Cancuncory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

You will be able to order anything from the Liberty Hardware product catalog and whatever is not in stock at the time they can just place an order for. I hope you find what you like!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users