Photo

Can We Keep Our New Car In Mexico Or Are There Restrictions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

A friend of mine told me we cannot take our brand new 2014 Nissan into mexico for more than 90 days at a time - then we have to take it back out of Mexico and turn around and re-register it for another 90 days - any truth to this?

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#2 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

You will get 180 days. You will need a TIP. We then took our car to the border by Chetumal and returned our TIP, so Mexico doesn't really lnow we have a car here... Since Q. Roo is a free zone as long as we keep it registered on the US and insured in both the US and here we think we are fine. Your research may prove different, but they seemed ok with it at the border!

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

However, if you're thinking of moving to Mexico permanently, once you obtain permanent residency you may NOT drive a foreign-registered vehicle and it's very difficult and expensive to nationalize a foreign vehicle. There is a specific age range for which it's possible and then only vehicles manufactured within NAFTA areas.

A foreign-plated vehicle driven by a permanent resident is subject to confiscation.

#4 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

On another question concerning the Temporary visitors permit - - -  when the first six month time limit comes up, do you have to return to the INM office that originally issued the permit or can you go to Chetumal and get a new 6 month permit?  

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

As far as I know, visitor immigration ("tourist" or "FMM") status is only issued at borders, ports, and airports and can't be renewed without leaving the country.

Vehicle temporary importation permits (TIP) are linked to your immigration status and expire when it does, which could be any amount of time up to 6 months depending on circumstances. They can only be renewed at the border.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

I would spend time reading through all of the discriptions, and detalied information that is provided here, as well as http://yucalandia.com/

On Yucalandia, on the right hand side the subjects are broken out, and if you click on a topic, tons of detailed information is provided.  Such as, Importing & Driving a car:http://yucalandia.co...-car-in-mexico/

Enjoy your first visit to Cozumel in Nov.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Coz2Wonder - I want to thank you and all the others for responding to my questions and for being so informative and patient with a total noob as far as all this "international travel" is concerned.  The more I learn about living in Coz, the more interested I am in giving it a try for a few months at least.  And really looking forward to November~!

#8 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:01 AM

November came and went and my wife and I had a marvelous time in Coz.  The locals were friendly and one thing that impressed me was that even the teenagers dressed neatly and in most cases dressed quite well...far different than here at home.  We took several trips to Playa Del Carmen and the first thing we noticed was "no trash on the highways"... the driving habits of the locals in Coz was "different" ... it appeared that stop signs were only meant to be "optional" although we never saw any accidents, we saw several "close calls"...and was in a cab or two that barely escaped without the loss of paint.

The weather in November was just perfect - we left Coz at 78 degrees farenheit - - in Dallas it was a balmy 43 degrees. Almost bought return tickets ~Brrr~

Looking forward to coming back again.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:11 AM

You were bitten by the Cozumel bug, and there is no known cure!

Ah, the driving skills here, you noticed.  Stops signs are suggestions, lane spitting is the preferred method of passing (why wait until the passing lane is clear), scooters are EVERYWHERE, and most time where they shouldn't be.

Car doors opened at will into oncoming traffic.  I always wondered how there are not hundreds of cars NOT missing their drivers side doors!

Driving here does test your driving skills and reflexes and PATIENCES!

Glad you enjoyed your vacation.  

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users