• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Parrot Hog

Parrot Hog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:09 AM

Looking for information concerning the Corona Beach Club. I understand it is small, fairly decent snorkling, and not crowded. Is this a good description of it? What have been your experiences there? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Don't need the frenzy of lots of people and activities. ISO no hassles, cold cerveza and the curve of the earth. Please advise. Thanks in advance. PH

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

Corona Beach has never been a favorite of mine. We went one time before we moved here, and it was marginal.

We went again, once we lived here, it was a Sunday, and the two waiters sitting around with no customers, told us that we both had to pay $10 usd's EACH to get IN!

We told them we where there to purchase lunch and drinks, and they still demanded the "per head charge"...

Needless to say, we advised them where they could put their "per head charge".

I'd go to the Money Bar the snorkeling is good.

Further South is we go to Palancar Beach. Sandy bottom, sand dollars, and starfish to see. Along the shoreline is like an incubator for baby fish. Long stretch of beach to walk down, and explore.

You can also take a snorkel trip out from the beach if you want to really see the reefs.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience, Paula. We go to Corona every time we come down and really enjoy it. Very rustic, with Wilma's damage still evident, but the snorkeling is quite good. We always see something new and different. A line-up of a dozen squid, Teddy Bear Rock (a very furry coral formation that makes you feel like patting it, but please don't), a HUGE baracuda, fish nursery, pelicans, beautiful land crabs, in addition to the usual suspects. Beer is cold, food is decent, and we have never been asked for a cover charge.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

The snorkeling is better at Corona and I agree it has the rustic charm which, of course, also means kinda rustic bathrooms so be prepared for that. The club policy depends on the whims of the week or month, probably. I'd check it out and if you don't like the way you're treated, vote with your feet. Personally never had any problems there but haven't been there for over a year either.

#5 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

Have been to Corona many times and never have been asked to pay a fee. Snorkeling is decent, food and drink is mediocre in my opinion compared to other places like Palancar or Moneybar. I like the atmosphere at Corona; fewer people and less commercial.

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hard to mess up a beer. We always pay in pesos at any beach club. Corona menu recently changed to reflect the difference between dollars and pesos (used to be 100 p =$1, now more reflects the current rate). We always take a 500 peso note which we put in Tom's "purse" (a small waterproof container that he can tie to and stuff down his shorts when we snorkel. Available at any dive shop and highly recommended). This usually covers all our expenses at any beach club. Also plan ahead tor taxi and other expenses. We usually split fish tacos, which are actually pretty decent. Given this place is in the middle of nowhere and that they have to bring everything in, I think it is OK. As I recall, we got ripped off once after Wilma, but we love the place anyway. Just keep track of your orders and please tip well!

The bathrooms aren't bad, they have seats and flush. A working sink too, as well as a shower, what more do you need!

#7 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:13 PM

We had the most surreal experience the first time we went to Corona couple of years ago. We got there early while they were still setting up. We started snorkeling in an area of big sea
fans in front of the dock. The crew was blasting the Blue Danube Waltz and we were bobbing in time with the music and the waves sea fans swaying back and forth. Very cool.
We've always been treated well there. Food's decent.Snorkeling good. Try swimming a couple of hundred yards south of the club were a small point is some neat coral maze is forming there.
I would only do that on a relatively calm day though as you are in danger of being dashed on the coral in heavier surf.

#8 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

There is a recent review of the Corona Beach Club on Trip Advisor. Based on the poster's experience, it definitely does not bode well. The group had ordered 4 Mai Tais, they were billed 770 pesos. They asked to see the bill, all they were given was a piece of paper with the amount. The person paid the bill, left 850 pesos, said keep the change. Then the waiter said that the tip wasn't enough, he should be tipped the amount of at least 50% of the bill. Anyway, they spoke with the manager,and from what I understood from this, the manager made it sound like there is no salary, only tips, which doesn't seem accurate. I know there are those that say they go there all the time, never had a problem, etc., but once I read something like this, I cannot support that type of treatment and I am not likely to give them my business.

Valli

#9 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

Valli.. that review on TA is the review from the OP here B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users