7 replies to this topic

#1 BobinPA

BobinPA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, travelling, history, boating

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Excited and happy that Laurie and I are returning to Cozumel next week, for our eighth trip.  It's our favorite place on earth.  We dive in the morning and spend the afternoon exploring the town.

We are very appreciative of this website, as it gave us a great starting point to understand the island better....in the times we have visited, we have come to appreciate some delicious local fare in eating:  a reason why we would NEVER consider an AI in Coz.  Our favorite "backstreet" place is "Las Palmas." (AV 25).  It is directly next to "Las Flamitas," which is recommended by this website, but quite honestly Laurie and I had a bad experience there, not feeling welcome, the only time we ever felt that way on the island.  We went to Las Palmas the next time, met a wonderful server named Oti, and have been going there ever since.

Our favorite restaurant on the island is "Casa Denis"....no longer mentioned by this website, but we've come to be friends with the staff and still love the food, and the unbeatable location.  We also go with some of the places still recommended: Camillo's is a great place.  We loved Sabores, but last time we were there it was closed, and I understand they've opened a new place we will try.

Does anyone have any recommendations on new places, especially places with a local flair off the beaten track?  Would be grateful to hear any recommendations.

Bob

#2 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Herradura, (sp?)....on 30 between 17 and 19. Great food good prices and daily menu changes. Also great in the early evening for pizza and pasta. Mom and Pop place, we eat there once ot twice per week and have never been dissappointed.

#3 BobinPA

BobinPA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Thanks KAC....we'll check that out!

Herradura, (sp?)....on 30 between 17 and 19. Great food good prices and daily menu changes. Also great in the early evening for pizza and pasta. Mom and Pop place, we eat there once ot twice per week and have never been dissappointed.

Thanks KAC, we'll check it out!

#4 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

I would come to Cozumel just for Casa Denis. We usually eat there at least twice each trip. They always remember us and treat us like family! Same with El Moro if you havent eaten there.

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

Chilango's on 30. I think it's between 3 & 5, but not swearing to that. Excellent huaraches, burritos. Menu is very short and written on the wall. 

On Sundays only, Barbacoa de Magueyes. I think it's on 60 between 33 & 35. Take 30 south. Immediately past CFE, turn left. When you get to the gated entrance to the naval housing (orange and white apartments), turn left; there is a round, concrete house on the left-hand corner. Barbacoa de Magueyes is on the right not too far down that block.

Amigo Mario's for cochinita. Calle 5 just east of 30 on the left-hand side of the street. They sell out early, so don't wait too late in the morning to go!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

A very big second for El Moro. You will see a lot of tourists there, even though it is WAY off the beaten track, because it is a favorite among the ScubaBoard Cozumel crowd. But it has earned that following with great food, good drinks, a very fun and friendly atmosphere. AND I like the Cochinita Pibil that El Moro serves on Sunday afternoon. The very best Cochinita Pibil is served on Sundays by some local vendors, but it is almost always gone before 11:00 a.m., when I am still out on the dive boat. I can get my Cochinita Pibil fix at El Moro (it isn't the best on the Island, but it's pretty good) without having to give up diving.

Other favorites are Pescaderio San Carlos for great fresh seafood, and I try to remember to go on Saturday for the Sopa Mariscos. Also La Perla, Thursday for the 2-for-1 Lionfish - the coconut crusted fried lionfish is delicious. Go early, they do run out. I'm with you on missing Sabores - it was my favorite Loncheria for many years. I understand that a couple of people who worked at Sabores opened up Casa Cuzimel(??) in the old French Quarter location, just down the street from where Sabores was. I haven't yet tried it, but plan on checking it out in December.

#7 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

Chilangos also has Carnitas in the morning and Barbacoa on Sundays, we had both yesterday and both were excellent!

La Pearlita is wonderful especially on Thursdays when they have 2 x 1 lionfish.  On Calle 10 Entre 70 y 65 bis (or thereabouts)

Cha Cha's for lunch - menu changes weekly - out of the world desserts.  Very yummy entree's, salads and soups  Calle Francisco Mujica  Entre Xel-ha y Calle 17 Sur  Open Mon- Friday 12 pm-4 pm

#8 BobinPA

BobinPA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

A very big second for El Moro. You will see a lot of tourists there, even though it is WAY off the beaten track, because it is a favorite among the ScubaBoard Cozumel crowd. But it has earned that following with great food, good drinks, a very fun and friendly atmosphere. AND I like the Cochinita Pibil that El Moro serves on Sunday afternoon. The very best Cochinita Pibil is served on Sundays by some local vendors, but it is almost always gone before 11:00 a.m., when I am still out on the dive boat. I can get my Cochinita Pibil fix at El Moro (it isn't the best on the Island, but it's pretty good) without having to give up diving.

Other favorites are Pescaderio San Carlos for great fresh seafood, and I try to remember to go on Saturday for the Sopa Mariscos. Also La Perla, Thursday for the 2-for-1 Lionfish - the coconut crusted fried lionfish is delicious. Go early, they do run out. I'm with you on missing Sabores - it was my favorite Loncheria for many years. I understand that a couple of people who worked at Sabores opened up Casa Cuzimel(??) in the old French Quarter location, just down the street from where Sabores was. I haven't yet tried it, but plan on checking it out in December.

Sabores blew us away....they had this homemade coconut ice cream that was unbelievable.  Casa Cozumil is on our list to try, and we'll add El Moro to our list.  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users