Photo

Moving To Coz With 2 Kids ( Immagration Question)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jjdivers

jjdivers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Hello all!! This is my first post, I have been looking around and didnt see anything that helped so thought why not ask.

So the situation in I am planning on moving to cozumel and I am buying a water sports business. the question is Will I be able to have my wife and two kids stay with me ?  I suppose they would need a VISA of some sort. but i am wondering what qualifications do i need to have to allow they to remain with me?

We are moving there from Grand Cayman and in Cayman for me to have 3 dependants I needed to show I made $110,000.00 a YEAR !!!

Any advise or knowlege would be great !!! Thanks in advance

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

You need to have a working visa for your business with either a temporary or permanent residence.  You can own the business, but you will have no authority to sign documents, or even work in the business.

As to your family, they can come and stay on a tourist visa up to 180 days.  However, to live here full time they will need to apply for either a temporary residence or permanent residence.

You need to start the process in the Caymans, then complete the process once you are here.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Shouldn't the lawyer you're using for the purchase of the water sports business be answering this question?

You do have an attorney, don't you?

#4 jjdivers

jjdivers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

No attorney , we are still in pre-purchase mode.  I have to many worries right now about so many things. From immigration to health care and everything in between.

I will be heading back to the states before we head there. So im guessing I need to do everything back in the states.  180 days is roughly 6 months. So would they just need to fly out for 24 hours than come back for another 6 months? That could get expensive but its an option if we dont qualify for them to get a temp res.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

Mark is right...don't do anything of this magnitude without legal support.

You need an attorney prior to putting any money on the table.  Don't put your future on the line without having a lawyer flying cover for you.

If you're all US Citizens then you would apply for your visas in the states.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Definitely get a lawyer....and once things are rolling, someone with power of attorney (to sign documents) for you helps.  Otherwise you'll have to fly back and forth or stay down on the island for sometime to get all the paperwork signed and submitted.  Not gonna lie, to get a business going is a long process with a notario, state department (for foreign investor papers), tax number, license...but it's do-able.   You need to have someone who has a good handle on all of it to get you through and that should be addressed before you jump into things (for multiple reasons).  They should also be able to advise you on the visa/immigration process.  Get an idea what kind of money you'll be needing for the entire process as well.  Can't hurt to plan ahead :)

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Gisela Rodriguez has been our lawyer and formed our corporation for us.  

http://cozumellawyer.com/

You need to speak with a lawyer first if you want to form a Mexican corporation so that you can leverage your immigration documents so that your company can be sponsoring you.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users