• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaCPA

ScubaCPA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

I am trying to force my dried up sixty year old brain to learn Spanish.  I'm taking the Latin American version of Fluenz Spanish.  In this course most of the speakers pronounce the double l like "j" in "judge".  So "ella" sounds like "Aja" (like "Ajax without the x).  My wife who took Spanish lessons in Playa several years ago tells met that in the Yucatan the double l is pronounced more like "y" in "yes".  So "ella" would be "eya".

What is the most common usage in Cozumel (which is were I will be attempting to speak)?

Thank you.

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Here in Cozumel, it's pronounced like a "y."

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 ScubaCPA

ScubaCPA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Kandy. 

Boy this is hard.  Sure wish I had taken Spanish in school.  I'm only on lesson 6 of about 200 in the series and my brain is already exploding.

Plus ... It's hard enough learning a new language without having to deal with regional differences and pronunciations (I believe the developer of this course is from Chile).  But I guess if a native Spanish speaker were to learn English in the Bronx they would have a had time being understood in Alabama.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

The real key here is that the Fluenz course is for Latin America Spanish (as opposed to Spain Spanish) and will serve you well through all of Latin America. If there are small differences in pronunciation, they're of pretty minor importance. Consider how much variation there is in English pronunciation just within the US. I disagree that Americans can't figure out each other's accents - we just laugh at or are charmed by them.

My own plan is to learn what I can in order to communicate well, even if I sound like a dork, then tighten up my pronunciation and dialect to fit Cozumel local norms over time.

#5 Pauki

Pauki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

Hi, LL is pronounced like "J" as in Jack, in Spain is harder and in Argentina way softer, in Mexico just as in "Jack".

I´ve heard in Yucatán and some other small towns they use more the "y" as in "yes" pronunciation more often, they are both acceptable. I go with the "J" pronunciation but I´m currently in Mexico City and tbh don´t feel comfortable using the "y" pron since it doesn´t go with my city accent. But both are correct. 

#6 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

Accents are so mixed here. The same person who orders Vainiya ice cream will tell you that he lives on Caje 7. You have the freedom to choose!

#7 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

You may enjoy this video on youtube....cracks me up everytime

#8 ScubaCPA

ScubaCPA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

Very funny video.  I will have to watch it a couple of times to get it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users