• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pauki

Pauki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

Hey, I am close to moving there with my bf and dog.

My bf is still looking for a job there and he might end up looking and (hopefully) finding something in Cancun, do you guys know the exact fare for a ferry ride to cancun and from cancun to Cozumel? We are taking the car with us. 

The last time I went there a local told me locals get special rates and way cheaper than turists rates, is that true?

And one last question, would it be reasonable, leaving the car at the Ferry Station at Playa or Cancun and ride without it back to Cozumel? Or would it be dumb? nonsense? 

Thanks!

#2 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

If you're thinking about taking the car ferry to commute to Cancun on a daily basis, personally I don't think it's worth it.  The first factor is expensive (yes locals do get a discount - but still), the second is time. 

The car ferry from Cozumel to Calica (which is just outside Cancun) is about (about) 350  pesos one way.  It takes 1 1/4 - to 1 1/2 hours and that doesn't include waiting to  load and unload.  Monday - Saturday there are 4 crossings.  Sunday only 2.  To make sure that you make the crossing you often need to be at the terminal an hour before - not all the time, but certainly during holiday season (like now - when lots of nationals are on vacation).  Then depending on where you're going in Cancun you have a 60-90 min drive. 

Taking the people ferry costs 86 pesos each way for locals and somewhere in the range of 160-180 pesos for those without the plan local.  That ferry takes 40-45 mins.  You walk a short distance to grab a cab to the bus terminal in Cancun.  Again, it's about a 60 min ride.  The buses leave frequently.  I can't remember the cost, but it's much, much cheaper than a taxi.  Once you're at the terminal, you can catch cabs, local buses etc. 

Anyway you slice it, living in Cozumel and then commuting to work in Cancun takes time and money.  You might want to consider other options. 

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Calica is NOT "just outside Cancun". It's south of Playa del Carmen.

The car ferry is not in any way a reasonable commuting option. It's expensive, slower than the passenger ferry, and often has long lines. The last car ferry to Cozumel is at 6 PM.

The car ferry fare with Plan Cozumel (which requires proof of residence on the island and an application fee of 100 pesos per year) is 380 pesos each way, which includes the driver but no passengers.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

what would local commuter cost be on Mayair?  leave a car in their lot?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

Pauki, Your question seems confused and the replies aren't clearing confusion.

Cozumel is an island, you seem to have gotten that part. Isla Mujeres is an island very close to Cancun, could you be confusing those two?

There is no ferry service between Cancun and Cozumel. The car ferry connects Cozumel to Calica which is south of Playa de Carmen. Playa de Carmen is located about one hour south of Cancun. No you can't commute between Cozumel and Cancun, that I would rate as nonsense. Figure a commute time of two hours minimally and the cost would be about $200 pesos each way. Only with established residency (figure some months) would the passenger ferry have discounted rates and one way cost to/from Cancun would drop to about $125 pesos.

I question if you are aware of the realities of life in Cozumel this time of year. The least of your concerns might be that hurricane season is about to begin. The months of September, October and then November are the absolute dead season economically. Hotels have mass layoffs of staff and many resorts dip below 20% occupancy rates. Retail stores struggle for revenue to be sufficient to pay their electric bills, paying rent is often a fantasy. People that depend upon commissions, they just don't get many. Taxi drivers sit and wait for hours between fares.

Will no one comment on the plan to bring a Great Dane to the island? Do you have a place to live and do you have a real salaried job? Cozumel can be a great place to live if you are retired, own a home and have a substantial retirement income or live off investments. It is a real tough place to make a living.

No Mayair would not be an option at about $1,000 pesos round trip and limited daily flights, It would be another 30-50 minutes to bus from airport to the bus station in Cancun

Good luck!

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

I think Mayair advertises at around 700 round trip, local.  Might be able to deal more on that for buy more at a time.  And they have like 5 or 6 flights each way everyday. 

If ANY of the other options are still under consideration, Mayair would be worth considering.

Of course, that job in Cancun better be paying some serious coin to make it worthwhile to which Charles alludes.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#7 Pauki

Pauki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Ok ok, thanks everyone. 

I´ve been in Cancun, Playa and Cozumel, I am sure Im not confusing those, however I got the wrong info or worse I twisted the info, I thought there was a Ferry to Cancun and another one to Playa, big mistake there, I guess some people say Cancun and some other Playa since its pretty close to both. 

I am aware of expenses, luckily I got a job with housing included, and my bf recently quit his job and got good money, enough to go 8-10 months without working but we would love to save that for the future and whatever arises. 

Fortunately we are living in Mexico City where long rides are common...and suck! 

Then he should try to schedule interviews on the same day if he doesn´t want to spend that much on just getting to firm land and then drive all the way to Cancun.

I will  def let him know about Mayair option and perhaps leaving his car there or something...?   

Thanks everyone!

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

There ARE options. You may just need to be creative.

Commutes are all relative. I have patients who live in my town and commute to Boston, 90-120 minutes away then spend huge amounts on parking. I can barely stand my 6-minute drive some days.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

I have to walk like 20 steps to the car for my commute.  It seems too long....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

I know a few people from here who work in Cancun several days a week. (Not every day.) They keep cars on the mainland -- there are parking lots within walking distance of the ferry terminal with rent-by-the-month spaces. The commute is ferry to/from Playa and drive to/from Cancun. When they are on the island, some of these people do not have cars for transportation.

#11 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

We had to wait for about ten cars and motos to pass before we could cross 11th avenue at 10th.  My wife asked "what's causing all the traffic today?"  You are right; it is all relative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users