• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Things you need to know about Temporary/Permanent visa regarding, and obtaining residence can be found in Yucalandia publication (along with importing of vehicles)

*I would use this article as a guide.  Cozumel immigration policies may differ some.

http://yucalandia.co...ying-in-mexico/

The financial burden can be high, but may be offset by being a property owner.

Regarding the info that is floating around about mandatory CURP number.  You can only acquire a CURP number if you have TEMP/PERM residence status.  They are REQUIRING that you have a CURP number to register/plate a Mexican vehicle.

In addition, a CURP number is not required when buying or selling property.  See Gisela Rodriguez-Attorney article; http://www.cozumella...tax-payers.html

proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

It turns out that a CURP is assigned during the application process. You might not be told what it is, but they need a unique identifier for your file so you get one near the outset. That means that even if the application is denied or while it's still in process you have a CURP.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

I asked my lawyer Gisela, about the idea that a CURP would be assigned during process of applying for a temporary or permanent visa.

Her answer is "The CURP is only issued when the Immigration document is authorized not when applied".

Never guess at something that is this important.  Pay a lawyer to protect your ASSets.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Huh. I guess it's different interpretations by different lawyers.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Two lawyers = two answers, I believe. 

For that matter, they both might be correct depending on which office you apply in!

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

It was a while ago, but I did not get a CURP number until the process was complete and they handed me my finished documents.

Gisela has been my lawyer for years, I trust her advice.

Anonymous

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

When I went to INM to pick up my first resident permit, the officer registered my CURP by fax and we waited a while for the return receipt to arrive. He handed me the CURP receipt first and then presented my immigration card. It's probably handled differently now but it makes no sense to me to add someone to the registry before that person has been approved for residency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users