• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

We suffered about $3,000 usd's from a lighting strike, and wanted to pass along (posted a while ago) what we use to avoid another strike, and damage.
We had Mario install  2- "LA 302R" surge suppressors in our electrical box to guard against lightning/surge in the lines. In addition, we had our copper grounds dug deeper to about 8 feet.  Ours were at about 6.5 feet, and it wasn't enough.
The damage we sustained was compound by not having deep enough grounds, and the CFE not putting the resisters back up after they had previously popped.  We documented in about 4 letters to the CFE to come out and put the resisters back up.  Profeco got involved, and determined we shared equal blame.  CFE paid nothing for the damages.
The damage was significant.  Fried our motherboard on our generator (CFE was out, as well as our generator)  Fired plugs in the house. Created an arc between my washer and dryer which looked like a bullet hole, and fried the dials on the both. Fried the electronics on our communication tower.  It also fried our septic pump.  It cost me $1000p's for a single pump out from the slop hopper!!! 
Unless you can find these at Home Depot in Cancun, you will have to have someone mule them down, or you can have the shipped. 

The model number we have is: LA 302R 
http://www.deltala.com/prod01.htm
(if link does not open, copy and paste into new tab)

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Wow!  So much damage.

Another thing you should do in addition to the grounding rods is if you have copper pipes, add an additional ground wire to the copper lines.  This gives you another path for the surge to leave the building.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

That is one of the arc burns on my dryer.  It had a matching one on my washer. There is an actual hole that went through the metal.

I was sitting in the house when the lighting struck.  It was a very bright flash, then all hell broke loose.

It is a costly lesson.  

10599299_688193537902692_148470648139311

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

Grounding to copper may work in some instances, but most plumbing I have seen here turns to PVC underground - copper only from the tanoka gathering city water to the roof tanoka. Surge guard is the best choice for sure. Coz2wonder, do you have two meters? Does CFE offer a behind the meter whole house surge guard by any chance? I know our ground rod is not deep enough - I will be making a 8 foot drill bit in October!

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:08 AM

Skibum, the person to ask that question would be Mario Puc.  He designed, and built our electrical system.  He would certainly know what the skinny is in regards to the CFE.

Also, ask Mario about the fellow who drilled our holes deeper.  It may be a job you don't want to do yourself.

Mario speaks perfect English, as well.

You can give me a call at 987-112-4353

Anonymous

#6 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the contact info! I will have some welding done with a straight piece of rebar and bits on each end - with my hammer drill and patience it might work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users