• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 annag900

annag900

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

Hello, I am moving to Mexico and I'm looking for job opportunities. I'm a qualified English teacher in the state of Victoria, Australia and have 4 years classroom experience in Thailand and Singapore teaching ESL in schools, language centers and to private students. My spanish is basic at best but I am keen to learn and develop this as quickly as possible. Can anyone recommend any schools etc to contact in regards to seeking employment in this area? Any information gratefully received! I'm looking forward to seeing Cozumel in January 2015.

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Are you planning to volunteer?

If not, you need to start work on a residency status that allows you to work BEFORE you leave Australia* - the process CANNOT be started once you're in Mexico and you CANNOT legally work on a tourist card. Normally, you need to have a written job offer before they'll grant a status that permits you to work. Obviously, you could search for a job then fly home to start the immigration process, but it's good to be aware of the rules.

*Even if you live outside your country of citizenship and there's a consulate right next door to you, the regulations say you must start the process at a consulate in your home country. It's quite possible that you might succeed some other way, but Mexico is VERY bureaucratic, so I try to stick to the letter of their laws. There's supposedly a consulate in Melbourne, but oddly they don't seem to have a website. The embassy in Canberra has a consular section (and a website).

Starting this process took about 90 minutes at the consulate in Boston, but I spent a few weeks getting documents together for that beforehand.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

Mark, perhaps you could list out the documents that you needed to have prepared for the consulate.

It has become a popular questions, and you just went through the process, and it would be of great interest to many.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

Mark, perhaps you could list out the documents that you needed to have prepared for the consulate.

It has become a popular questions, and you just went through the process, and it would be of great interest to many.

I went ahead and started a new topic to address this.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

I am sorry to rain on your parade but teacher's wages on Cozumel are abysmally low.  You will be hard pressed to be able to afford to pay your rent, grocery and utility bills on a small studio at the salaries they pay here.  And there are only a couple of schools that are interested in foreign teachers.

In addition, many schools here -- particularly the ones where the well to do Mexicans send their kids -- have a different mind set re the power a teacher wields in the classroom.  Students are used to being catered to by their teachers and any unpopular disiciplinary move by a teacher may result in a parental complaint to administration followed by a stern lecture or worse to the 'offending' teacher.

I would not encourage you to move here if you need a teaching job to maintain yourself.  Without some independent income you will not be able to socialize very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users