11 replies to this topic

#1 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

are there any fish here that are inedible and where can you get a really good book or card with all the species on..are there any restrictions as to where you can fish from the shore , and where are the best places for this .going fishing from a boat is not an option as he gets sick just looking at a boat ...we have caught a few at L as Brisas but normally thats so busy so looking for new venues

#2 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

My understanding is....... Mexico does not require a licence for fishing from shore piers or docks ONLY from a boat..
Of coarse you cannot fish in a boat or on land in the park. That's from The International Cruise Pier down to about Punta Sur National Marine Park.
You can often see folks fishing from shore starting around the lighthouse all the way North to Passion Island dock. All I have ever caught was Grunts and Sargent Majors. Decent size for what I was catching, and a lot of fun on light spin cast.. Not 100 feet away, was a father and son tossing a lot further than I could get mine to go, and using chunks of fish for bait and catching...... Snappers....
I have caught Bone fish and Snook up in the northern lagoons and I might think you could catch something in the shallows up at the north end / Passion Island Pier...
Very little you cannot eat . Puffers are a big no no of coarse, but the rest ? If its big enough to fillet, give it a try. Some wont eat Barracuda IMHO...
More for me : ) Hog Fish are excellent BTW. Numerous sites with picture for Caribbean Reef Fish

#3 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

thank you yes we have watched them throwing lines one young guy had a spark plug tied to the end of his line as a weight if he miss threw someone could have a real headache... we have made many friends with the hobby, people come and help you pull the fish up and one family kept bringing us drinks , thats orange soda . one young guy filleted the fish for us ...

#4 Leo - spearfishing

Leo - spearfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

You DO need a fishing permit when you wanna fish from shore.
The marine Parc does not stop at Punta Sur. It is until Punta Chiqueros.
spearfishingtoday.com
"spear to live and live to spear"

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

Leo maybe you could let everyone know how to obtain a fishing license (where, how much, etc.) and how difficult would it be for a tourist to get one, if they were so inclined.

Leo is correct. The marine park boundries are South of the ferry pier on the West side and South of Punta Chiqueros on the East side. It does not end at the Southern tip of the island.

Cozumel Diving

#6 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

Interesting information.
So tell me just how far past, Walking East, of Punta Sur Park does The Marine Park extend . Where could you begin fishing from shore. East of Rasta Bar? As for a Licence and or permit to fish from shore ? Is this just a Q.Roo requirement or just Cozumel ? Possibly only effects Tourist? TTBOMK the rest of Mexico doesnt require papers from anyone to fish from shore...

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

East of Punta Sur would put you well inside the marine park. Just take the ferry pier and draw a line straight across the island. Everything South of the line is in the marine park. That is close but not exact as Punta Chiqueros is slightly further South than the pier. I find it improbable that your would be asked for your fishing license, but if you were and didn't have it.............

Cozumel Diving

#8 Leo - spearfishing

Leo - spearfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

The Mexican law says that you do need a fishing permit when you fish from shore. Tourists, Mexicans, everybody. And not only in Cozumel. There is one exception. A Mexican that can prove he needs to fish to feed the family, he is allowed to fish from shore without a permit (only from shore).
At this moment you can buy your fishing permit at the palacio at the ´caja´ next to the Quintano Roo office. Bring a copy of your id and ´some time´.... Available per day (136 pesos), per week (284 pesos), per month (408 pesos) and per year.
I know there were some permit checks on the east side and at the pier of Las Brisas last month.
spearfishingtoday.com
"spear to live and live to spear"

#9 chumpuppy

chumpuppy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

The last time I fished off the beach in Coz was in 1982. Lots of snook and tarpon were available then. I'd fish off the beach by the marina or by the commercial docks - usually snook and every now and then a mackerel. Another great area of course was around the restaurants that were on the beach.....I can't remember any names. the best trips were offshore on charter boats or as a crew member with a commercial fisherman. Lots of barracuda and sails. i guess sailfish are still on the menu down there. Actually barracuda were very tasty just had to worry about the ciguatera (sp?) poisoning but never had a problem

#10 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

mike when you say south of the line does that mean we cant fish at Mescalitos on the east side as well . I dont know where punta chiqeros is .

#11 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

Just on a fun side note... My fiance and some of the divemasters he works with speared some big lionfish the other day and took them to a local cantina to have them prepared. He said they were mighty tasty vittles.

#12 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

Punta Chiqueros Is a couple of miles South of Mescalitos. You can fish at Mescalitos, all the way North to the lighthouse and South to Punta Chiqueros.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users