#1 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

(Part 1 here)

Shortly after getting my visa sorted out at the Boston Consulate, I headed for Mexico!

On the flight to the Cancun airport, I completed an FMM on the plane. I used "Otro/Other" as the purpose of the trip (you do NOT want to enter the country as a tourist at this point). I also went ahead and checked the "Canje" box in the part of the form reserved for the use of the Immigration officer (it is vitally important that this be checked). I was not asked any questions about the "other" purpose of the visit or about having checked off "Canje" when I presented the FMM. The immigration officer fretted over my documents for a bit then disappeared with my passport and FMM for a while before returning everything to me filled out and with "Permanente" written on both parts of the FMM (which later my facilitator said she hadn't seen before). 

Later that day, I met with the facilitator with whom I'd been working via email until that point. This is the primary step at which my experience will diverge significantly from that of someone doing this on their own.

She had me sign an application, a letter (written on my behalf in Spanish) saying how much I love the natural beauty and community of Cozumel, etc. to explain my desire to live there, and a power-of-attorney to allow her to submit documents on my behalf. She had my wife sign a letter saying I live at our house in Cozumel since the house and utility bills are in her name - a letter from a landlord would work as well. An address in Mexico is a required part of the application and any changes in the future must be communicated to INM in a timely manner. Renters are welcome, but a hotel naturally won't work. I gave her the departure portion of my FMM after scanning it.

I provided her with a stack of "infantil"-sized color photos. These really should be done on the island since the photographers know the requirements. Those include frontal and right-side views showing the ears, without glasses, not smiling, and wearing a collared shirt in front of a white background. We used Avenida Foto Estudio on the western side of 30a Av near Calle 5 Sur nestled between Compucentro and Fu-Lin restaurant. I never would have noticed it if two people hadn't specifically recommended them and told me exactly where it was (then it was obvious where it was...). More photos than I will need were 100 pesos. I look like a thug in them, which appears to be the proper result.

Because I had to return to the US before the process is complete, I had to get a Permiso de Viaje allowing me to leave and re-enter Mexico. This took 3 days and one of the photos. I'm told they are never available more than a day before one's planned departure and usually take 3 business days to get.

I had to take my Permiso de Viaje to the INM office at the airport, where I filled out a new FMM and got that properly stamped and signed. The departure portion of the Permiso de Viaje was stamped and the *arrival* portion of the FMM was stapled to it (the departure portion was kept). I will need to present the Permiso de Viaje to the Immigration officer when I return, have the arrival portion stamped, and submit it to the INM office in Cozumel within 10 days of my return. I think I'll also need to do a new FMM, but plan to clarify this before I return.

Note that at no point have I yet been to the INM office in Cozumel and my application is being processed! It's now been a week since everything was submitted and I have not been notified of any requests for anything additional.

Now I wait for everything to process through the system. Once it's burbled back to the top, I'm told the next step is to go in for fingerprints and a brief interview accompanied by my facilitator as translator, which will be my first trip to the INM office. At some point, fees will have to be paid. Most people will do this by going to a (any) bank, handing them cash, then getting a receipt.

The final step will be to go in and pick up my card. It's important never again to enter the country as a tourist after beginning this process, so if I can't wait long enough for my card to arrive from Mexico City I'll need to go through the Permiso de Viaje process again. Some people give someone (such as their facilitator) power-of-attorney to pick up the card and FedEx it to them*. Once the card is issued you must present it to the airport's or border crossing's INM office before leaving the country and will lose your residency status if you fail to do this or enter the country without it, so if it's mailed and lost one must go through a process of getting a replacement card through a consulate that doesn't appeal to me. I suspect I'll probably fly in to pick it up, but FedEx'ing would be considerably cheaper.

*N.B. - although several people on other forums reported having done this, my immigration lawyer said that nobody other than the person named on the card is ever allowed to pick it up, power-of-attorney or not. So don't count on doing this!

(Part 3 hereSummary post here)

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

My facilitator notified me yesterday that, exactly 2 weeks after she submitted my application, it was approved.

I'm heading back to the island in a few days for my fingerprint appointment, at which time I will pay the actual fee.

Part 3 to follow soon.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

That was really fast.  Congradulations.

The bank I used when I made my payment was at HSBC on the corner of 30th and 11.

I had gone to Santander, the person would not accept the paperwork, went back to immigrations to ask what was wrong, nothing was wrong and they told me to go to HSBC.  

HSBC did a very good job.  The teller verified with me all the information prior to finalizing the transaction.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

I'll probably start at Banamex since we have an account there.

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

Part 3 here

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

Mark, not sure if I understood that you plan on using again your tourist visa when entering again (that was the one the guy ripped up)

From Yucalandia post:http://yucalandia.co...-tourists-dont/

"“The only people that should enter Mexico as tourists are those who want to leave in 180 days.      Using their nationwide computer databases, Immigration is now checking and cross referencing the entrances of foreigners with Residente Permanente and Residente Temporal visas with the information from their FMM – entering into Mexico.    The law states that if a Residente Permanente or Residente Temporal enters or exits as a tourist, then they will have their Temporal or Permanente visa canceled."

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

Mark, not sure if I understood that you plan on using again your tourist visa when entering again (that was the one the guy ripped up)

No.

I only filled out the FMM because I didn't want to be pulled from the line for not having a properly-completed FMM.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

For new Temp or Permanent visa holders who may not be aware of the process when you depart Mexico,

1.  you need to go to immigration at the airport (next to the Federal Police office, in the corner) FIRST before going to the airlines desk.  

2.  You will be given a form to fill out which includes your visa information, along with date of return to Mexico.

3.  Once filled out, and stamped by immigration, take that form, your temp/perm card, passport and travel doc's to the airlines desk.

4.  The airlines will give you back part of the immigration document that you will turn in upon your return.

Upon your return NEVER fill out a tourist visa.  Only fill out the customs declaration form.  

At immigration present your passport, temp/perm visa, and the portion of the form you filled out prior at immigration.\

This process is repeated EACH time you leave Mexico.  

Anonymous

#9 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

For new Temp or Permanent visa holders who may not be aware of the process when you depart Mexico,

1.  you need to go to immigration at the airport (next to the Federal Police office, in the corner) FIRST before going to the airlines desk.  

2.  You will be given a form to fill out which includes your visa information, along with date of return to Mexico.

3.  Once filled out, and stamped by immigration, take that form, your temp/perm card, passport and travel doc's to the airlines desk.

4.  The airlines will give you back part of the immigration document that you will turn in upon your return.

Upon your return NEVER fill out a tourist visa.  Only fill out the customs declaration form.  

At immigration present your passport, temp/perm visa, and the portion of the form you filled out prior at immigration.\

This process is repeated EACH time you leave Mexico.  

I suspect that Mark is using the form when he returns only to show the Pre-screener that walks through the lines to make certain that everyone is prepared when they get to the customs desk.  At the desk he is only presenting the proper paper work while avoiding being delayed while in the line.

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

This had nothing to with what Mark, but it provided an opportunity to spell out the process to those first timers.

There are many newbies with temp/perm and if it is spelled out how to deal with it the first time, then mistakes won't be made.

It can void our temp/perm visa if you use the wrong form, or leave the country without going to immigration first to fill out your destination, and return info.

Anonymous

#11 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

Some people give someone (such as their facilitator) power-of-attorney to pick up the card and FedEx it to them

Although several people on other forums reported having done this, my immigration lawyer said that nobody other than the person named on the card is ever allowed to pick it up, power-of-attorney or not. So don't count on doing this! However, she also tells me that picking up the card does not require an appointment and can be done any time during office hours.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

In my 12 years of doing this process, the card holder is the person who picks up the card, not a 3rd person.  

As to having the card, and showing proper paperwork, it's only the customs form, and your laminated immigration card. 

In Mark's case, I am assuming he has a letter from immigration that states that his visa is in process, and that's the document he will be traveling on when he return.

Anonymous

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

In Mark's case, I am assuming he has a letter from immigration that states that his visa is in process, and that's the document he will be traveling on when he return.

Yes, I'm out of the country on a Permiso de Viaje. It takes 3 days, a fee, and an infantil photo to get and allows one to be out of the country for up to 60 days while a residency application is in process.

The process of leaving and re-entering the country with it is almost exactly like that with a residency card, but each Permiso de Viaje is good for only one trip and the form must be stamped by border (not downtown) INM officials upon departure and return.

#14 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

We heard today the they are going to pre approve for PR here and the paperwork is being sent to Cancun for signatures. The person that did it on the island no longer works there. We have been waiting almost a month......hopefully it will be completed soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users