• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

Do yourself a BIG favor and buy trip insurance.

You can buy the insurance when you purchase your airline ticket.  Go for the upgrade that includes air ambulance service if you have a critical injury.

Out of pocket expense for air ambulance is $18,000 usd's.   

The clinics who are providing services are taking a major hit from people who do not have any type of insurance.   The clinics (by law) have to provide medical services, but in some cases are having  to ask the local community to support the injured person.

It is all of our responsibility to be responsible for your own well being.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

I agree!  I've never left the U.S. w/o it, well, not since I "grew up".  It adds about $170.00 for two people for the trip, but gives me complete peace knowing if I keel over w/a stroke I'll be flown back to the states for medical attention.  OR, if I step in front of a taxi and get killed I'll get my precious remains flown home so my body can cremated and my wife can fly back to Cozumel to dump my ashes where I caught that one blue marlin (it's in my will and she'll be rich w/the life insurance and probably stay).  Seriously, it doesn't cost that much compared to the total expense of a trip to Cozumel.  cr*p happens.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

I agree also. It comes with my auto insurance for the Explorer in Mexico. Not sure I would want to put it to a test to see what really happens.

Automatically included with your Genworth Mexican auto insurance policy at no extra cost to you! What would you do if you or any of the members in your travel party had a medical emergency while traveling in Mexico? What would you do if your vehicle was stolen or not drivable? How would you and your travel party get home from Mexico?

Solution: Adventure Mexican Insurance is proud to offer our customers this special Premier Travel Assistanceprogram which provides the most complete travel and legal assistance coverage available. This special program is automatically included with every HDI Seguros auto insurance policy - at no extra charge to you!

NOTE: Our Premier Assistance package is included automatically with all of the Genworth insurance policies purchased through our website. We do not recommend other travel assistance products that are purchased on top of your auto insurance because you then have to deal with two different Mexican insurance companies and two different claims phone numbers! With our programs, you have all of these services included with one Mexican insurance company and one claims phone number.

List of Benefits (covers all passengers in your travel group):

Medical Evacuation & Medical Assistance:

• Air and Land Ambulance coverage due to grave illness or injury
  • Plane tickets home for the travel group in the event that the driver suffers grave illness or injury
  • Round trip plane ticket for a companion to visit the insured in the event of grave illness or injury

Trip Interruption

• Plane tickets home in the event that you are stranded in Mexico
  • In the event that your vehicle is stolen or is not drivable
  • In the event that the driver of the vehicle suffers grave illness or injury.

Roadside Assistance

• Towing of your vehicle to nearest repair shop
  • Locksmith, fuel, flat tire, and jumpstart services
  • Rental Car in the event that the insured vehicle is not drivable

Legal Assistance and Bail Bond

• Assistance and defense for car accidents and non-vehicle related accidents
  • Assistance in the event of robbery, assault, or violation

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

sounds like you're covered Steve.

I would check if there are any restrictions on medical services.  Can you go to one of the clients such as San Miguel or CMC, or to the public hospital.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

My best friend during residency had to be air evacuated from a Caribbean cruise. I ended up putting $18,000 on my Amex to cover it. That was the full cost (sounds like it's much more now and that would be "just" the co-pay), but it was my pre-tax annual income at the time.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

They just evac'd somebody out of here, and it was either $17 or $18 k.

There is absolutely no reason that folks can not purchase insurance, NONE.

The burden on friends, family and the community is preventable.

Anonymous

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

When we hit our mid-40's we started doing it.  Mainly for the medical evacuation.  If there is something serious I do want to get my spouse to the US where the resources are available to provide better care and there is an ample readily available blood supply.  I will admit when we were younger we never did it, but apparently with age comes wisdom about some things.

#8 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

Who does everybody use for the trip insurance.  I have always bought mine through DAN.

#9 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

I use Travel Guard.

Cindy

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

I have DAN insurance for the chamber.  I buy my medical from FrontierMedex TravelMed Choice.  They focus mainly on medical and evac.  I don't care about delays and trip costs. All I have to eat is the plane ticket.

But I have great medical and evac, I think.    100K for evac.  100K in medical.  Sport coverage so I am doubled on the chamber.  I choose the 250 deductible.   All that for like 3.40 a day in my age range.  It does have something for lost bags.  Oh and 20K to fly my corpse home!  I think that covers it!!

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

PLUS my Blue Cross will pay me back too and there are like 2 or 3 participating providers in Cozumel.  Weird huh?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Chief.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

while this band wagon is still rolling, don't forget your medical ID information to tuck into your wallet on top of your DL's.

When rescue personnel are trying to find out who you are, they search for your DL.

http://www.medids.co...hp#.VBDvZ_ldU9H

Anonymous

#14 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

Never have bought the trip insurance. I think the stuff offered by expedia is just cancellation insurance.

It's those changes in latitudes!

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

when you book your next airline ticket, they offer a basic policy, then a higher end one which will cover evac out.

We purchase the policy when ever we fly.

Anonymous

#16 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Air is usually part of our Expedia package. I'll have to read the fine print. Now..........where's that magnifying glass?

It's those changes in latitudes!

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

My big things are enough money to stabilize me and enough money to evac me to Johns Hopkins!!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users