14 replies to this topic

#1 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

My dear FIL died of f%$k*^g cancer last month. My dear wife thinks we should bring my 74yo MIL on a vacation to Cozumel. While I love them all I can't imagine that third wheel. Anyone with experience here? Words of Wisdom?

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Purely personal opinion?  I would find a way to fit that third wheel in to your vacation plans.  That is mighty tough losing a spouse and this would take his mind off it a little bit.  Plus get you lots of points with your wife that you could cash in later.  Ja Ja.

Just locate somewhere where there are plenty of things you father in law could do on his own without you.  So either on the beach somewhere if he'd like that kind of thing.  Or else in town where he can roam around and people watch.  I wouldn't advise Corpus Christi as you would have to entertain him more there because nothing else to do but sit in the house or get in a car and drive to the beach.

#3 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Yes. We did just that when my father passed...brought my mom down. The wife thought it was great and my Mom had maybe the last best trip of her life. We did not get to walk as much after dinners in town but we have wonderful memories and pictures to prove it!

Just do it!

#4 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

My MIL has always been fun to be around and I'm sure she would have a good time and maybe disconnect a bit from the recent events. Half of me says "do it"; the othe half has a pretty strong "no way"! The wife and i usually rough it but if this happens I'm thinking maybe El Coz and they can just chill how ever they seem fit.

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

We travel to Cozumel often with some or the other of our 4 parents in their late 70's-early 80's. They all really enjoy it.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

It would be a great kindness to take her along.  In fact, in my opinion, you really must.  You'll feel bad the whole vacation if you don't because you know your mother in law is going to be sitting at home grieving and feeling terrible.  How much fun are you going to have under those conditions?  She'll have distractions that will be a great help to her.

If she likes to shop and is the adventurous type, she might prefer being in the El Centro area like those apartments upstairs in The Flamingo or Villas las Anclas or the little places above Guidos restaurant on the waterfront.  Those locations all lend themselves to a lot of sunrise and sunset walking on the malecon, easy lunches out, people watching.  North of town is great but there is nothing to do but swim, snorkel or chill out and stare at the ocean.

If you want to spring for it, El Cantil is a happy compromise that gives you that private little beach right there but is also close enough to the life of San Miguel that she could also do quite a bit of walking and shopping.  In short, she wouldn't be totally dependent on you guys to entertain her if you pick the right spot for the kind of things she enjoys doing.  Your wife might know about that better than you.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

We bring Mom along almost every trip.  She hangs at the condo and the pool or maybe takes a walk downtown.  We give her a MX cell. 

We leave in the morning to dive.  More often then not we go grab lunch and then she goes along to dinner. 

In July we took 15 of our family down.  I was like herding cats.  But it was a memorable trip with the extended family together for 10 days!

Don't pass on the time together if you can swing it!

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words and good suggestions. We're not really planning on a winter vacation but wanting to do it just for her. I'll pass this on to my wife.

Dono

#9 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Lovely idea, but honestly i could not do it and look forward to it.  My MIL would spend every waking moment with us.  Dinner would be at 4:30 pm.  6pm at the latest!  Any drinking would be frowned upon.  Tried it once with Hawaii.  Never again - LOL!

#10 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

"My MIL would spend every waking moment with us". That's my fear. That and she's use to real 5 star vacations; not Mexico 5 star.

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

so get her to chip in and stay at El Cantil.  That way she can keep busy going to the Mega and the Ched, planning meals, cooking a little bit.  Or go park by the pool/ocean.  Find out what she likes to do when she's on her own and rent a place that makes it easy for her to do that on Cozumel would be my advice.

#12 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

Thank you Carey but........she can't cook! LOL..  Really...had me laughing!!

#13 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

El Cantil is a great location though.

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

On our big fam trip the late dinner thing came up.  In the afternoon my BiL handed out ham sandwiches to tide some of them over.  (And because he got the ratio backwards between kilos and pound when he ordered 2 kilos of ham at Mega.)

My MiL frowned on the drinking.  Everyone ignored the frowning.

The condo is a good idea and bring a friend of hers.  Then she isn't alone if you run off.

Brought my mom sister along one time.  She is very particular about things, doesn't drink and all that.  That week I got her doing one tequila shot at WW before bed.  Said she never slept so well...

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#15 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

"My MiL frowned on the drinking.  Everyone ignored the frowning."

0 user(s) are reading this topic