Photo

Ebooks Available...almost Free (And Lots Are)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

A couple of reading sites where recommended to me, and thought why not share the info.

Bookbub-inexpensive and free downloadable books

https://www.bookbub....als/recommended

If you into classics try Project Gutenberg, which is a free site

https://www.gutenberg.org/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

Also keep in mind that most US libraries have extensive ebooks to check out. If you qualify for a library card (through having a US address, being a retiree from a college or university, etc.) or if you have a relative who's willing to let you use their number you can check out current books, bestsellers, classics, etc.

These do expire. Each library has its own policy about how long you can keep a book. For those who don't read fast or who like to keep things to re-read, there are ways to strip the DRM so they don't expire, but this is legally problematic.

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

I use Gutenberg all the time. They have a fairly good selection even though they are out of date.  I think I have read almost all of the old classics they have. I also have Amazon Prime which is suppose to give me access to their free library but am still trying how figure out how to get to their free books. For newer books, the library is a great choice. You might even be able to get a library card online.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

Steve, Amazon only offers free ebook loans to Prime members using Kindle devices. Kindle software on any other device won't work.

#5 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

I get free ebooks from Amazon Prime on my Samsung tablet,Samsung phone and on my pc. I just use the Kindle app from Amazon.

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

I have the Kindle App installed on my Nexus 10 and still doesn't work. I'll have to play with it a little more. I do get the prime movies which you aren't supposed to be able to watch and that took a little work to accomplish..

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

I get free ebooks from Amazon Prime on my Samsung tablet,Samsung phone and on my pc. I just use the Kindle app from Amazon.

Weird but cool. Their FAQ says it's Kindle devices only, not the app.

There are quite a few ebooks on Amazon that are free to everyone (mostly out-of-copyright stuff), but you're talking about the free borrowing of recent works?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users