• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

I am going to do this trip report by category because there were some interesting events and a bit of drama.

Travel – Love, Love, Love  US Airways.  Left Detroit on Saturday morning the 11th and arrived on schedule in Charlotte for connection. The Charlotte airport is one of my favorites for connections and clearing customs / immigration on the way back. Arrived ahead of schedule in Cozumel and made it to The Coral Princess after an annoying wait in the Shuttle Van with poor AC.  But what the heck – it was sunny and warm and we were ready for a great week.  Best part about the air travel was the tix were covered by frequent flyer miles so we only paid a few small fees. ….. Saved over  $1k . Nice.  Trip home was just as smooth and on time.

Accommodations – A little drama with the Coral Princess before we left Detroit. I received an email from them saying that they were beginning renovations to the front entrance, lobby, pool and beach area and that our stay would be affected.  They suggested we cancel our trip and schedule for a different week (not realistic) or stay with them but the pool and beach area will be closed. They would credit us for our weeks and maintenance fees in either case.  As it turned out, the pool and beach were open and they started on the front entrance on Thursday.  A minor inconvenience for us, however there were several members that were staying one or two more weeks and will have to deal with pool and beach closure.  Have to say the CP did not handle this well, which was surprising because they have always been good when it came to customer service in the past.

Food and Drink – Started off on Saturday with a quick trip to Rock n java for lunch. We both had the fish tacos which I think are as good as any on the island.  Hugs and Holas from Jose and the other staff.  Love their new entrance and bar area inside.  Later in the week we had a pleasant visit with Lisa and received updates on the Humane Society.

A first night tradition at La Choza was good as always. They are consistent and I had my favorite Mole Plabano Chicken. Mrs. Optimist had the Fish Vera Cruz. If you have never tried the frozen avocado pie I highly recommend it.

Sunday night we had a fabulous dinner at Kondessa. The food, atmosphere and service are the best. Had a nice visit with Daniel, a familiar face from prior visits. He gave us the news that he and Chris will be opening a new Lobster place on Melgar and Calle 3 in the near future.  

Monday we went to El Moro which we had missed on our trip last year. Ray is always the friendly host and treats every guest as a long lost friend – even though he had no idea who we were. Service was A + but the food was a little disappointing this time.  Just OK – a little overcooked on the fish.

Tuesday was Le Chef. This may be our favorite place on the island. Being low season they were not very busy and we easily picked a seat outside on under the awning. Mrs. O had the fish special Red Snapper and I had one of their small pizzas – Smoked salmon and capers with cheese. This place is always good and they have decent wine list as well. We had a nice Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.  If this was the only restaurant on Cozumel I would still go home happy. J

Every trip we always try at least one place that we had never been to before. So on Wednesday we joined a group ( the old farts, happy hour gang from the CP ) and went to Sorrissi. Great food and service and a fantastic wine list. A little over priced but we did enjoy the experience.  Note – Stopped at Chocolateria Isla Bella across the street. This is a new must stop for future trips. Free samples and a yummy selection of chocolate treats with a great hostess - Megan and her staff. . We spent some $$$$ there to say the least. 

I am skipping Thursday for now. We went on the Pirate dinner cruise. Details to follow.

Friday, a last night dinner at Guidos, which we had not visited in many years.  Service was good and food OK. My scallops were a bit over cooked and chewy but Mrs. O had a tuna special that was amazing. Only down side was that she was bitten by a bug which stung really badly. We had to stop at a pharmacy for a topical treatment. She was fine the next morning.

Things to do and ground transportation. -  Rented our car once again from Margarita at Rentadoro  Isis. It is unfortunate that their name conjures such negative thoughts with an extremist hateful group. I hope they do not have to change it but I understand if they do.  We had a great little newer model Chevy without AC for $35 per day.  Picked us up at the CP and drove us to the airport on Saturday when I turned in the car.  We drove around the island a few times and stopped for “refreshments” at Coconuts. On Friday we stopped at Albertos because we had never been there before. Nice e view and good service – a little lower key and not crowded. They are open till 10 PM most nights so we may have to go back for dinner visit next time.  I am told the Lobster Tail is very good. On Thursday we did one of those tourist things that somehow has eluded us over the years – The Pirate Ship Dinner cruise. What a hoot !!!! The Pirates ( performers ) were very funny and entertaining and they kept the drinks coming and coming. Good thing we took a taxi to Fat Tuesday’s for the gathering spot. The exciting part was the very loud and rough thunderstorm that came up during the dinner part of the cruise. We were rocking and shaking and the rain was coming down side ways but the 30 or so guests made the best of it and we even dance in the rain. I told one of the pirates they had great “ special effects”.  Oh and the steak and lobster wasn’t bad either.

Until next year – hopefully  in the springtime –

Adios from Mike ( TheOptimist )

#2 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Don't know why this posted twice ??????

#3 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

Great trip report; thanks! We love the Pirate Cruise; have done it 4 times. And, Don and I won the balloon popping contest last February!

Cindy

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

FINALLY!  Someone else who understand the wonder that is frozen avocado pie at La Choza.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

Great report.  I fixed the double post. 

The CP will be opening the ROOF TOP in Nov.  Talked to Pedro the other day and he said both pools are closed for the time being.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

@CVCHIEF - Isn't that the best?  The first time they suggested "Avocado" pie I wasn't very enthused but now I look forward to it every year.  Next year I think I will get a piece or 2  to go as well. We have a full freezer in our unit at the CP.  Heck - maybe a whole pie !!!

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

Really enjoyed your report!

Very excited about the new lobster place.

We always say we will do the pirate cruise and never do.  We aren't really into that stuff and think how many dinners we could buy for that price.  And yet every night when the boat cruises past the condo we think about doing it.........................

#8 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

@ Crunch .... I did not think it would be any fun but another couple from the CP talked us into it. What a blast !!! Very entertaining and BTW it is an adult themed event.....not for kids. We would do it again. Worth the $$$$.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users