3 replies to this topic

#1 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

We are coming down this weekend to close on our house. While we are there we wanted to explore some shopping possibilities at sams and costco and wanted to know if we take the ferry over to playa how far are these stores. I mean can we walk or do we need taxi. We are there only to check prices to see if we buy some furniture there or move some down with us. We need stuff,lots of stuff. We are still a couple of years away and are reading all posts old and new so we have some ideas but not sure where these stores are or if they are the best place as we can not locate them online.

#2 DreamingofCoz

DreamingofCoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

Sams is walkable, but I believe the closest Costco is in Cancun, unless one has been built recently. When we were going through the same process you are, we took the ferry to Playa, walked to Walmart and then walked to Sams. Walmart is a short, easy walk...Sams takes a while. We've never walked back from Sams as we usually have purchased too much to carry back. The cabs are reasonable back to the ferry pier - about $5.

You can take the bus to Cancun and get off at their downtown terminal - I think the cost of a ticket just went up, but it's been around $8. We took a public bus to the mall (there is a bus that leaves for the mall within 1 block of the bus terminal) and then caught a cab to take us to Costco.

Just a tip - do not expect to find the same products at Sams and Costco in Mexico as you do in the US - we naively went to both stores here and made a list of everything we wanted to pick up when we got to Mexico - didn't quite work out that way! Although they don't carry all of the same items, their selection seems to be improving (at least the last time we were there). On our last trip to both stores, they had a good selection of appliances, tv's, mattresses and furniture.

IMO, Luh at the Magic of Design is a great person to order your furniture through!

Good luck!

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

I second the vote for Luh. She's wonderful to work with and bends over backwards to find what you want. I furnished my entire condo with her, doing everything from the states. I couldn't possibly be happier with the outcome. Her shop is across the street from San Francisco on 30, upstairs.

Part of this depends on the type of furniture you are looking to buy. Since you're asking about Sam's, I'm guessing it's not rustico.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

Before buying, I would check out Exphotel 2010 next month in Cancun, it's not just for the big buyer. Many local vendors and buyers will be there will be there.

There is so much to check out, you need 3 to five days to shop Playa and Cancun properly to see what's on the market.

Exphotel 2010: http://www.exphotel....xhiben_eng.html

Shipping from the mainlland:

Icaro Express
Blvd. Luis Donaldo Colosio Lt. 24 Mz. 1 Sm. 308 A. V.
Bonfil, entre Campestre y Bonfil
(998)882-0215

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users